Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • No wonder Tesco Christmas cards are cheap 😳
  • DezB
    Free Member

Found by a 6 year old girl.
    Tesco have launched an investigation.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mr Humphrey is an interesting character. An intriguing choice of person to contact.

scotroutes

Is he free?

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, he is free

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He wasn’t for a while though.

athgray
    Free Member

Is he free?

He took the pictures of Mrs Slocombes pussy they used on the card.

MoreCashThanDash

Unpleasant as this is, I suspect there are worse “punishments” within the Chinese prison system.

Does make you wonder who is really making those cheap products in Chinese factories we love to buy – and may well not be limited to China, I suspect

mooman
    Free Member

Do magistrates in the UK still make people guilty of offences carry out unpaid work in the community .. litter picking; tidying up parks etc?

Kinda struggling to see the difference here.

sobriety
    Free Member

ahahahahahahahahahaha….

kennyp
    Free Member

Something to think about the next time you’re buying dirt cheap clothing or things like that. It’s cheap for a reason, and the reason is probably not a good one.

Flaperon

But it’s not surprising. The attitude at the top of Tesco (and ASDA, and pretty much every big corporation I can think of) is to maintain the prices of their items while increasing the profit margins. The only way to do this is by cutting quality or exploiting the workforce, or both.

wait4me

The UK Prison service runs a large amount of in house print operations staffed by inmates. Part of their vocational training, but they are also selling print on the open market. I imagine the UK inmates get paid a bit more than the Chinese ones.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Do magistrates in the UK still make people guilty of offences carry out unpaid work in the community .. litter picking; tidying up parks etc?

I work for mental health services in lincoln up until a couple of years ago we used to drop in patients off at a group for “work experience” that filled boxes with envelopes for WH Smiths

DezB
    Free Member

Do any of the WHS workers send out pleas to be rescued, I wonder.

johnnystorm

No different to the American system in Simon Reeves’ programme that seems geared up to locking people away for the smallest offence and then using them as slave labour.

mooman
    Free Member

wait4me

I imagine the UK inmates get paid a bit more than the Chinese ones.

And I imagine the same is true when you compare pay like for like for builders, factory workers, etc.

When you consider prisoners get fed, clothed and a roof over their heads at no cost to themselves. Getting them to do some work to off set this cost to the law abiding citizens of that country doesnt seem too harsh to me.
    Bit of a non-story

funkmasterp

I think the problem may be that this has been written by somebody who has committed no crime. The guy it is addressed to is a journalist who was locked up for two years for nothing, with no trial or representation.

Making prisoners work is great. Locking folk up for spurious reasons and without trial because you’re a mad state with a history of piss poor human rights then forcing them to work, tad different in my opinion.

Do people honestly think they’re getting three square meals per day in a Chinese state prison? Foreigners aren’t allowed in them to see conditions. Don’t think it compares to a UK prison.

mooman
    Free Member

I agree – its all down to what we think in regards to the prisoner.

I am thinking he has broken the laws of that land and been put in prison, given sufficient food and drink, and put to work to contribute to his up keep.

You are thinking he has been wrongly convicted without trial, and not sufficiently fed.

Neither of us can say who is correct though.

poly
    Free Member

Kinda struggling to see the difference here.

Community payback is just that, paying back to the community you live in/caused harm in; so picking litter, or painting park benches, building bike trails, restoring abandoned bikes, and gardening for the elderly are examples of the sort of things our local justice service has had people do on unpaid work orders. The beneficiary of the work being done unpaid is the community not some affluent business. The best schemes aim that at the same time the participant benefits in some way too. There are certainly anecdotal stories of people who have gone from a chaotic lifestyle who have never had a job since leaving school ten years before, finding some purpose and structure to their life and going on to find work as a result.

UK prisoners can also be used for work. AFAIK this is entirely optional here – ie. If you don’t want to work you don’t have to (but again it may not send the right message if parole boards are going to consider your release). Those jobs are not supposed to be jobs that could/should be done by the public. The key phrase above was “forced to work against our will”.

Tesco’s said they have stopped production – presumably there was no great difficult as nothing getting packed this week will be for Christmas 2019!

dannyh
    Free Member

Don’t worry, they’ll be able to onshore this sort of thing in the next few years in any case.

And major retailers’ “ethical buying” policies are often closer to plausible deniability than anything of real substance. That will only get worse too.

Merry **** Christmas y’all.

greentricky
    Free Member

Neither of us can say who is correct though.

This is true but when one country has over a million of its citizens from a single ethnic minority currently in labour and re-education centres for the crime of being born Uyghur, it does make it more likely that the prison labour from that country isn’t from a non law abiding citizen compared to the UK

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m puzzled.If China is so bad why doesn’t the UK,the EU and the USA for that matter just apply higher tariffs to Chinese imports? They all have huge trading deficits with China so it would be a win surely? China doesn’t respect copyright,obfuscates on trade and investement transparency and has poor working conditions as well as all the human rights issues.Let UK prisoners pack UK Christmas cards?

ajaj
    Free Member

Bit of a non-story

You should probably read Peter Humphrey’s story

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Pffft, take a look into apples china factories. Technically they’re not prisions…

mooman
    Free Member

dannyh

Don’t worry, they’ll be able to onshore this sort of thing in the next few years in any case.

And major retailers’ “ethical buying” policies are often closer to plausible deniability than anything of real substance. That will only get worse too.

Merry **** Christmas y’all.

You really are a cheery sort!
    Life can be too short – so look for positives and hope for the best.

Must be terrible being you .. or even around you!

DezB
    Free Member

Bit of a non-story

So, you’re like thinking – silly prisoners complaining about being made to pack Crimbo cards..?!? Seriously?

dannyh
    Free Member

Must be terrible being you .. or even around you!

Given the obnoxious angle of many of your posts I wouldn’t worry too much about finding out, I prefer to give people like you a wide berth anyway.

What ‘positives’ are you drawing from this particular news story in any case? That it is happening to foreigners rather than Brits?

scotroutes

Hey – as long as it’s only Tesco Christmas cards and not rip-off bike parts, right?

mattyfez

Don’t tell them who made thier iphones!

mattyfez

Does anyone realy buy and send Christmas cards, or cards at all?

I just don’t see the point! It’s a waste, I don’t even wrap up Christmas presents, although I only buy one or two.

DezB
    Free Member

I just don’t see the point

This much is obvious 😆

CountZero

Pffft, take a look into apples china factories. Technically they’re not prisions…

Most Apple products are made by Foxconn. When they go on a recruiting drive, there are huge queues of prospective employees, and Apple, along with international workers rights groups do regular checks on workers conditions.
    And before you say you don’t buy Apple products, it really doesn’t matter, because I’ll bet every major electronic device you own was made in the same factory.
    It’s huge, has roughly 100,000 workers, and makes stuff for Samsung, LG, Nintendo…

Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd., trading as Foxconn Technology Group and better known as Foxconn, is a Taiwanese multinational electronics contract manufacturing company with its headquarters in Tucheng, New Taipei, Taiwan. Today, it is the world’s largest provider of electronics manufacturing services[3] and the fourth-largest information technology company by revenue.[4] The company is the largest private employer in Taiwan[5] and one of the largest employers worldwide.[6][7] Its founder and chairman is Terry Gou.

Foxconn manufactures electronic products for major American, Canadian, Chinese, Finnish and Japanese companies. Notable products manufactured by Foxconn include the BlackBerry,[8] iPad,[9] iPhone, iPod,[10] Kindle,[11] Nintendo 3DS, Nokia devices, Xiaomi devices, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One,[12] and the TR4 CPU socket on some motherboards. As of 2012, Foxconn factories manufactured an estimated 40% of all consumer electronics sold worldwide.[13]

andrewreay

When they go on a recruiting drive, there are huge queues of prospective employees

Sorry, can’t let that go unchallenged.

You keep drinking the Koolade.

That’s the same factory where so many people were throwing themselves off the roof to kill themselves that nets were installed to catch them.

Apple’s annual marketing budget is nearly $2 billion.

If they spend 1,000th of that on Foxconn factory inspections, I’d be pleasantly surprised.

The reason people think Apple are ‘amazing’ is precisely because of that marketing figure. The reality is somewhat different.

Apple Foxconn Suicides

mooman
    Free Member

DezB

Subscriber

So, you’re like thinking – silly prisoners complaining about being made to pack Crimbo cards..?!? Seriously?

Posted 10 hours ago

Pffft! packing Crimbo cards …. In the day they would be made breaking rocks in the hot sun – I guess this Chinese prisoner fought the law, and the law won!

dannyh

What ‘positives’ are you drawing from this particular news story in any case? That it is happening to foreigners rather than Brits?

Positives? the main one is your reminder that whatever bad day I am having, there is always someone like you convinced they are having an even worse day.

ps. are you always so blatantly racist?

globalti
    Free Member

You should probably read Peter Humphrey’s story

I’d love to but I don’t want to subscribe to the FT.

globalti
    Free Member

The Chinese have a grest wheeze for clearing out their prisons – prisoners are given the choice of going to work on a major engineering project somewhere in Africa, for which they get their freedom but the sting is that they are not allowed ever to go back to China.

dannyh
    Free Member

ps. are you always so blatantly racist?

Classic attempt to reverse the argument. Zero out of ten. I was, of course, attributing that attitude to you as you well know.

I do know, however, that you are not blatantly racist, because that is the real art of being you, after all.

As for finding positives in other people having ‘worse days’ than you, you have my pity.

kerley
    Free Member

I’m puzzled.If China is so bad why doesn’t the UK,the EU and the USA for that matter just apply higher tariffs to Chinese imports?

Money > Ethics. i.e. if Saudi Arabia is so bad why are we still selling weapons to them.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m slightly suspicious that only one note has come to light

Issue still stands, by a number of accounts the Chinese justice system has contentious aspects,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘No wonder Tesco Christmas cards are cheap 😳’ is closed to new replies.