Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • No, I don't need disk brakes! (I think.)
  • sor
    Free Member

I admit it, I'm a luddite who's never had disk brakes before. My last mtb was bought cheap so had v-brakes but it still got me up and out and muddy and happy. My commuter hack has v's and my cyclocrosser has v's, I know them, I trust them, I know how to fettle them up right, and I have bags of spare bits to swap between the different bikes.

I know all the benefits of disks. But the case against them is I also know I gently pootle xc rather than throw myself down hills with short-staining abandon (i.e. I've yet to die using only v's), and not having had them before I don't know if I have the nous to bother learning how to deal with hydraulics.

Anyway, having sold the mtb to my nephew, I'm looking for a new bike. And this has brought me crashing headlong into having to look at disks. I'm not here trying to rant about the lack of v-braked £500 bikes, but to ask your opinion – is there a rise in hassle-factor in maintaining disks for the added benefits, even if I might not fully use those added benefits? Or should I finally get with the 20th 21st century? Remember I know NOTHING about maintaining disks.

nickc

Not really, if anything they're less hassle than V's. they don't need a regular maintenance routine per see, occasional change of pads. Even for mild XC there's still a benefit, better mud clearance, less energy to use, better performance, it's mostly all good

ononeorange

More of a pootler myself, but the change to discs was for me the biggest single improvement to enjoym,ent of riding that I ever made. Corny as it sounds, you will wonder how you coped before.

Maintenance is generally OK really.

MrTall
    Free Member

You can always use cable discs which are easier to fettle with if you are used to v-brakes.

V-brakes are fine in the dry but discs are way better in the rain and the mud. Plus disc brakes don't eat your rims like v-brakes can.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

IMO you will see a reduction in hassle factor. Disk brakes were a revelation to me when I moved over from V's.

No more farting about balancing springs that are out again as soon as you've braked once, no more disassembly of the noodle and cable every other ride to get the grit out. No more replacing pads every four rides, no more fiddling about to get the pads in the same position as the last ones, no more worrying about dirt penetration into the cables.

Disc brakes are not without their maintenance requirements, but they only seem as big and scary as they are because you don't know about them.

Apart from being cleaned, disc brakes require, IMO, little maintenance until they really need it. At this point, you decide to learn or get the shop to do it for you.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me the main advantage is that you don't wear wheel rims out. Many people seem to have e mental block about hydro brakes and some can be a fiddle – cable discs are available.

I used to be sceptical about discs but no longer am since crashing heavily when a worn out wheel rim broke

cp

are the discs on the bike cable or hydraulic? Cable can be a faff to centralise, and sometimes need constant adjustment of the pad position relative to the disc (because only one pad moves, and flexes the disc into the other pad, you need to adjust the static pad aswell as the moving one which you adjust when you adjust the windy knob at the brake lever. mechanical pads also always retract to the same position, so you need to manually adjust as the pads wear, whereas hydraulic auto compensate for pad wear.

hydros are usually fit and forget bar pad changes for me.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

They're easier to use in my experience than v-brakes. Until it comes to bleeding, the only maintenance you need to do is cleaning, replacing worn pads and occasionally realigning calipers, all of which is dead easy.

thomthumb
    Free Member

on a 500 pund bike your going to get budget brakes (bonus in my opinion)

and the riding you describe your not going to need to bleed them – at least for a few years.

learn to change the pads – easier than vs. and your away.

oh and bleeding brakes is easy. a lot easier than people will make out.

HTH

IA

I don't know how I ever put up with the amount of faff vees are in comparison. As above, getting thru about 6+ sets of pads (each end) a year, compared to 1 or 2 sets on discs. Plus rims every other year or so.

sor
    Free Member

Well that's pretty conclusive. Disks it will be then. Thanks for the feedback guys!

ahwiles
    Free Member

im my humble experience, etc;

shimano brakes tend to be a bit more 'hassle free' than others, maybe because they use mineral oil, which is a lubricant, where most other systems use DOT fluid, which isn't a lubricant.

i got fed up struggling with stuck pistons on avid/hayes brakes, so now try to avoid them.

but overall, discs are much, much, much, less hassle than v-brakes. i've got a v on my bmx, and can't believe the grief it gives me.

coatesy
    Free Member

Speaking from a mechanic's perspective, i'd far prefer to work on a decent set of hydraulic discs than a set of Vs.Your £500 will get you a 2009 Kona Blast Deluxe from us(and probably others too)with Shimano brakes that are pretty much fit and forget, apart from pad changes.Once you've used them you'll wonder why it's taken you so long to change.

chickenman

Used to ride the GT black on an early 90's rigid cantilever-brake effort; would haveto true-up rear wheel after every ride and hands ached for days afterwards. Going to a hardtail with hydraulic discs was a revelation…like the day I discovered what those funny dangley-bits between my legs were really for. Also I had been scared-off by horror stories about flying over the bars 'till you got used to the brakes: Nothing could have been further from the truth; fingertip control over the amount of braking, no snatching whatsoever.The braking improvement was more noticable than the benefits front susspension delivered!

tron
    Free Member

I used to change V pads pretty much every ride when it was wet. I've had my Maguras for 4 or 5 years now, and in that time I've changed one disk after bending it in a crash, and took the bike to the shop to have them bled for the first time last week.

I wouldn't be surprised if the disks have paid for themselves in terms of saved money on pads, cables and outers.

takisawa2

Some things are a step forward…hydro discs are more of a leap forward.
    Improved power/modulation/confidence. Less hassle.
    Bit of a no-brainer really.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I like my Avid BB7 cable discs, running full length outers and some good levers. This as been my best brake setup. had 3 sets on all my bikes so far. I don't miss V brakes there crap. On that note I don't miss my old Hope, Hayes, and Avids though. My old Shimano XT disc brakes are great though!

meehaja
    Free Member

I'm with you on this, I ran V's for years, mostly as I couldn't be bothered changing my brakes/ levers/ wheels/ frame etc. Once I finally did I found it much easier, and TBH I have never (since 2006) Bled or altered my brakes in anyway beyond changing pads. That'll be hayes HFX9's for you! Hassle free life!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘No, I don't need disk brakes! (I think.)’ is closed to new replies.