Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • no but seriously, what's with all the **** jaspers?
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

is 2009 the real of the wasp or summit…?
    Little angry bastids are everywhere, I actually can't wait until winter to knock 'em on the head. I can't believe I haven't been stung yet.

nuke

I thought there weren't too many around this year although I've noticed a lot more in the last couple of weeks but they're quite small compared with other years.

Mister-P
    Free Member

LOL, I have not heard wasps called jaspers since I was at school. About 18 years ago then.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Why are people so scared of wasps??

My mate runs around flailing his arms everywhere if one just flies past 😯

Ignore them and they'll ignore you.

The pain from the sting is nowhere near bad enough to embarrass myself by acting like a bird man trying to take off.

He sat there the other day and spent 10 minutes telling me how nasty wasps are and what little they do for nature and was genuinely perplexed as to why they exist at all. WTF?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The pain from the sting is nowhere near bad enough to embarrass myself by acting like a bird man trying to take off.

You obviouly don't swell up like a balloon when stung by one, like my mother……

FWIW, there's always loads around at this time of year as the temperature drops and they get all dozy and sting-happy.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

we have a nest in the attic, i've yet to work out how to avoid paying the council £50 to get rid of it. It's not doing any harm at the moment and i feel kind of attached to it as i've watched (and heard) the wasps scraping the materials to build it off our reed fencing.

BlingBling
    Free Member

You obviouly don't swell up like a balloon when stung by one, like my mother……

Your mother gets stung every day then? 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's usually late september when they start to get angry IME. And even then they're rarely a problem. I used to work outdoors at a kids play area (bouncy castle man for several summers) with tons of flailing kids and sticky sweets about, never once was I stung. Just ignore them, make sure they dont go up your sleeves and you dont put your hands down on them, and they'll leave you alone.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

got stung by a wasp for the first time ever yesterday. Not too painful, but I don't react badly. However if the bugger had got one of my boys (aged 1 and 3) then I don't think mummy and daddy would have had a very happy day 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd hate to be stung on my boys too, would be a nightmare.

uplink
    Free Member

Never heard them called Jaspers before – I thought this was going to be a thread about CHF's mates 😀

Anyway – as other have said, just try to ignore them & watch out if you're drinking or eating anything while they're around – a sting in the mouth is sore!
    I was in Greece last summer & they were roaming in regiments & were seriously annoying – much worse than we get here

stilltortoise
    Free Member

😆

nuke

Isn't it better to get that first sting with kids out the way though? Just so you know if they are allergic or not. Not certain if my 4 and 7 year old have been stung yet. Getting stung at some point seems inevitable so it would be kind of good to know.

genesis
    Free Member

Got stung on my ear on my commute home the other day when one got caught in the straps of my lids, still sore now! Little bastids

samuri
    Free Member

My mate runs around flailing his arms everywhere if one just flies past

we were in Manchester a few years back and there were a group of lads stood around in the square all trying to look cool and hard. All shouting at the girls and trying to stare down blokes. One of them went to take a drink from his Mcdrink and this wasp started flying round his head. Watching the panic spread amongst the entire group as this little wasp buzzed around them scaring the crap out of them was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Rock hard to babies in three seconds.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Samuri, it's funny because my mate admits that he probably acts like that because his mum acts like it, just like PP stated above.

When I was a little kid we had a wasps nest in the ground in our street where we used to play football and some older lads dared one of their mates to do a roly poly over the entrance to the nest 😯

We learned a few things that day.
    John could beakdance
    John could breakdance and run really fast at the same time
    John could breakdance, run real fast and scream/cry louder than anyone we ever heard before all at the same time

😆

tyke
    Free Member

Most wasp colonies are now starting to wind down for the Winter. Unfortunately this, and feeding on overripe fruit (which makes them a bit drunk), means that they are also at their most aggressive.

The nest should be emptied out by the end of October and will not be used again, so it's safe to take it down yourself in the new year.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Alcohol getting the blame for more violence on teh streets…

richc
    Free Member

as others have said, food is getting scarce now, so they start to get aggressive and will sting you just incase.

Got stung twice this year, after not being stung for years and years. Once just below the eye whilst riding down a tricky technical bit, and once just sat outside a pub, both times I didn't see the little bastard coming and they just flew into me, stung me and then zipped off. Only hurts for a day or so 🙁

stuey
    Free Member

Tyke iirc – don't take down old wasp nests – they are territorial and won't build near a neighboring nest.

I'm keep meaning to try a
    WASPINATOR

Or just hang a stripey paper bag up???

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tyke iirc – don't take down old wasp nests – they are territorial and won't build near a neighboring nest.

Tell that to the 4 that are built within 1ft of each other in our eaves.

stuey
    Free Member

Extended family 😕

coffeeking
    Free Member

You'll be telling me they're taking up a shared equity plan next 😉

uplink
    Free Member

We had a wasps nest earlier this summer in the eaves
    I just got the ladder out after they'd stopped flying for the evening & sprayed as much ant powder in As I could manage – seemed to do the trick

AKAIK – Ant powder is pretty much the same as wasp powder. It worked anyway

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i got stung on the face a few days ago 🙁
    couple of piriton less than a minute after, and some antihistamine cream about 5 ins later (good living so close to boots!). hurt for a few hours…

took precautions as its years since i was stung and not sure how i react. i react relatively badly to mozzies etc.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Our next door neighbour goes ballistic when she sees a wasp, god knows what her two young lads will grow up thinking of wasps, one sting equals death or something. First time a wasp bimbled into their garden I thought they'd had a terrible accident and one of the lads was bleeding to death or something, I was about set to vault the fence. No, just a wasp.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Isn't it better to get that first sting with kids out the way though? Just so you know if they are allergic or not.

I'm not a medic, but I've been told that the first exposure to an allergen sets-up your immune system for the subsequent allergic reactions. The second exposure causes the most severe allergic reaction.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was eating prawns for years before I had an allergic reaction. Gutted. Love prawns.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Captain Jaspers– the only Jasper worth knowing about.

FuzzyWuzzy

Odd, never heard them called jaspers before but the guy sitting next to me just said "f**king jaspers" as one buzzed in through the window.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

We used to call the little Wasp-a-likes (Hoverflies I think) Jaspers

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘no but seriously, what's with all the **** jaspers?’ is closed to new replies.