• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ton.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Nice Italian restaurant in Leeds – recommendations, please
  • dannyh
    Free Member

My wife and I are in Leeds for a Saturday night soon and I’d like to book a meal at a nice Italian restaurant. If possible, I prefer to err on the side of nice, traditional trattoria with decent portions of good food rather than ‘picture on a plate’ nouvelle cuisine if you get my drift.

There are so many on tripadvisor and its ilk that I can’t see the wood for the trees.

Recommendations gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance.

rickt
    Free Member

Avoid Jamie’s and ther chain places

Though I like
    http://www.bibisrestaurant.com

http://www.salvos.co.uk/contact/

However, it’s the small back street ones which are the best

bearnecessities

There’s a place near the bra-shop/coffee shop/pasty shop which blares out italian tunes to the street; I ate lunch there once with a lass, didn’t get anywhere with her, but the food was top notch, if a little busy and hot, and the Italian ‘mama’ was a noisy pain in the arse.

In fact, avoid there.

anonymouse
    Free Member

Bibis used to be good when it was on Greek St. Since the move it’s shite. I quite like San Carlo on South Parade, but then again I like Jamie’s so what would I know?

anonymouse
    Free Member

And if you don’t mind chains there are 2 branches of Carluccio’s in town.
    Salvo’s is nice too, but it’s a bit of a way out of the town centre.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There’s Salvos up towards Headingly. It won the F-word (with gobby Mr F himself) prize for Best Italian. We used to go there every time we visited our daughters at Uni there, if I am honest it’s not quite as good as it was.

website

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

You might be late in regards to getting a table but what you’re after is Salumeria in Headingley. It’s the smaller, nicer, traditional Italian cafe owned by the Salvo brothers. With the main restaurant Salvos next door but one.

Great food. Nice atmosphere.

rickt
    Free Member

I agree bibis on Greek street used to be good, (always a pain getting a table like)

I found Jamie’s to be over priced the the amount of food and rushed – but only been to the leeds one once….

seavers
    Free Member

I recently went to Viva in Leeds. We went as a group of 10 which was a mistake. They are only set up for couples and tables of four, the basement is reserved for groups!

I had heard really good things so didn’t mind the basement idea too much. For us it was not a good experience, they have 2 big tables in the basement and the other table was pretty loud and sweary. That aside I looked forward to some really nice food.

Unfortunately it wasn’t half as nice as I hoped it would be as reviews from friends and trip adviser indicated. price wise it’s reasonable, food wise it’s OK but I couldn’t recommend it.

In contrast I have had really good food at Bibis recently. Never tried Jamies.

crankboy
    Free Member

The good one shut . Salvo’s fits your bill but is well out of the city center taxi or bus ride. Cassa MIA off millenium square . San Carlo got a good write up in the guardian and my friends rate it . I don’t get to eat out so much now so have never been

seavers
    Free Member

Good shout KingofBiscuits, Salvos in Headingley is a really good place. Never tried Salumeria, will make a note of that!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

It’s really good @seavers. Think they do something called 6 course meals for £22pp and it’s usually regional. It’s the best Italian I’ve been to to be honest. Better than their main place next door 🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

If you want to avoid the chains then San Carlo is good.

Good food and good portion size.

Alternatively Carluccio’s is just round the corner.

el_boufador

I’ve always found Rico’s in Oakwood is quite good – pretty good food (not outstanding) but unpretentious, friendly and well priced (our local, go there maybe once every couple of months). A way out of town, though.

seven
    Free Member

Via Verde in Meanwood is great and Alfreds Bar across the road does some great beers

ton

casa mia on the millenium sq is as good as anywhere.
    all Italian food is overpriced crap…moreso in leeds city center.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Nice Italian restaurant in Leeds – recommendations, please’ is closed to new replies.