Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 268 total)
  • News of the World RIP
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If the British Legion were to officially comment on something not involving the armed forces they would have overstepped their remit. Their actions in this instance are entirely appropriate.

binners

I’m quite disappointed in them not drawing attention to the Millie Dowler thing though. Especially seeing as nobody else had mentioned it

grantus
    Free Member

Each to their own.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Rebekah Brooks was in the editor when the Millie Dowler phone was “hacked”. I don’t see the Met knocking on her door.

What do you mean ? …… you can’t see the Met physically knocking on her door right now, or you can’t imagine seeing the Met ever knocking on her door ?

If it is the latter, then it is perfectly feasible that she will be arrested in the future. I’m no expert but I believe that there has to be significant justification and consideration before someone is arrested – it helps if it’s based on more than just a hunch.

Presumably News International’s surprising extreme reluctance to sack Rebekah Brooks suggests that they believe that she has her arse sufficiently covered. And presumably the police will have their work cut out in proving a direct link between Brooks and illegal hackings and corrupt payments to coppers. I have no doubt at all that many third parties were involved in all of these dodgy shenanigans. We’re not dealing with amateurs here.

Klunk
    Free Member

How is he the sacrificial lamb ? He was the editor of the newspaper at the time of the illegal hackings and police tip-offs. I would expect him to be the first person to be arrested.

Surely you should expect Brooks to be arrested as well following that logic.

jp-t853

I wonder if the Prime Minister clears his speaches on this subject with Rupert Murdoch’s team first.

Hadge
    Free Member

The police wouldn’t arrest her in case she “slapped” them. We she did her ex hubby and hard man Ross Kemp which earned her the title “slapper” in the press. I believe she’s got lots and lots of dirty information on some people at the top in lots of organisations and they’re too frightened take her on and her cronnies because of the fall out. She’s got info on Murdoch for sure and that’s why he’s backing her.

jp-t853

Do you not think she is there to stop the flak hitting James Murdoch?

binners

She’s shrewd as ****! I reckon she’s ferreted away hard evidence that this went right the way to the very top of NI. To James and Rupe. And she’s let them know that any hint that she’s going to be the fall guy, and she’ll go for the nuclear option

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Surely you should expect Brooks to be arrested as well following that logic.

It’s just a guess, but I’m thinking along the lines that the police have possibly a bit more to go on other than Andy Coulson was editor at the time. The only “logic” involved here is that it should come as no surprise that a former editor has been arrested – there’s a reasonable assumption that they might have something on him.

The suggestion that the police would at this stage of development would only arrest Andy Coulson but would refuse to immediately arrest Rebekah Brooks, despite having compelling reasons to do so, just because it is all part of an elaborate establishment cover-up in which it has been decided that Coulson will be sacrificial lamb just so Brooks can get away scot-free, is quite frankly ridiculous imo.

In case some people haven’t noticed there will be a full and independent judicial inquiry into this scandal. So whatever has been happening until recently, any further cover-ups are out of the question. Unless of course you think that the independent judicial inquiry is also part of an elaborate establishment cover-up. In which case you probably also think that the Prince Philip ordered Princess Diana’s death.

binners

*dons tinfoil helmet and hides under the desk*

andyl
    Free Member

I don’t buy newspapers – they are a waste of paper and ink and full of rubbish. One more has gone – good.

binners

You don’t like newspapers? Understandable, I suppose. What are your opinions about sweeping generalisations?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think you might have missed the bit concerning newspapers being more than just paper and ink andy. The loss of a newspaper is almost always tragic. A world with no newspapers, or maybe just one or two newspapers, would be a disaster. Almost always the rule is the more newspapers, the better.

Klunk
    Free Member

oops miss read the headline on the beeb, no longer in charge of the internal investigation

julianwilson
    Free Member

ooooh, let’s see her dish it on the Murdochs then…..

Klunk – Member

oops miss read the headline on the beeb, no longer in charge of the internal investigation

ah well, the intruige continues…

yunki
    Free Member

33 years ago..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXeUKPwBj4[/video]

Klunk
    Free Member

john peels favourite Jam song 😯 😕

andyl
    Free Member

You don’t like newspapers? Understandable, I suppose. What are your opinions about sweeping generalisations?

I’m entitled to my opinion aren’t I?

I can’t remember the last time I felt I got my moneys worth out of a newspaper! Best use for most pages is lining the cats litter tray. It often seems fitting to see runny cat poo across some headlines/articles.

I can fully see the point that less media/media freedom etc etc is bad. AND I AGREE. But don’t forget it is the media who are reporting on this and pushing that down our necks. A crappy paper has gone, something else (or more) will take it’s place. With any luck something will have been learnt. Not just how to hack phones!

And yes, I have read some insightful articles in the past (SO MORE AGREEMENT THERE) that have been well researched, written, eye opening etc etc but on the whole I am left very underwhelmed due to the magnitude of some of the utter pish. More good stuff, less bad stuff – it’s not hard. Unfortunately its the bad stuff that makes headlines and sells papers.

Now we have to sit through all the politicians on TV, especially Cameron and Milliband. Urgh, time to put cbeebies on as it’s more factual that what comes out of politicians mouths! If only we could sack the lot of them and start again.

MSP

In case some people haven’t noticed there will be a full and independent judicial inquiry into this scandal. So whatever has been happening until recently, any further cover-ups are out of the question. Unless of course you think that the independent judicial inquiry is also part of an elaborate establishment cover-up. In which case you probably also think that the Prince Philip ordered Princess Diana’s death.

Although the Hutton report was also a full and independent judicial inquiry. 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

Almost always the rule is the more newspaper OWNERS, the better

Not sure having them all in the same stable actually helps even if you had lots the same. The guardian pushed this story no other media outlet did this even Murdochs rivals [ as they were just as guilty].
    I think diversity [ of ownership and political slant] is the issue not number.

Edukator
    Free Member

France 3 summed it up nicely with wry smiling and gloating: Cameron’s king-maker media mogal hacks phones with police collaboration and then Cameron demands the police investigate their own wrong doing.

grantway
    Free Member

Nothing to miss Another Two bob paper.
    Best thing to do is boycott all of Murdoch’s enterprises
    This is a person that simply has no morals on the living nor the dead

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If only we could sack the lot of them and start again.

The next general election will be in 2015, at the latest. Don’t forget to vote.

Not sure having them all in the same stable actually helps even if you had lots the same.

Let’s keep this in perspective. Murdoch actually only owns 2 daily papers, and now, only just one Sunday paper. Personally I don’t think he should own any UK papers – he has proved to be unfit to own something as important as a national British paper ……. with great power comes great responsibility, as Spiderman’s dad once told him. But the Times is nevertheless still an excellent newspaper, and the Sun was crap when Murdoch bought it, so not much change there then.

As far as the Guardian being the only media outlet that pushed this story is concerned, firstly I’m not sure that’s true – certainly the Independent has being following this story long before the Wapping meltdown. And secondly, blame the consumers – the Guardian has a tiny circulation and yet people are perfectly free to buy it. If it’s circulation figures started to hit the 2 million mark, then other papers would have to start considering covering the sort of stories that the Guardian does. But right now consumers are saying that they’re not generally interested in that sort of stuff.

If you want to change that situation then I’m afraid that the solution lies in political education and a political awareness. So get involved and agitate politically, or do nothing, other than moan, and put up with the situation.

France 3 summed it up nicely……..Cameron demands the police investigate their own wrong doing.

Only he hasn’t.

France 3 is obviously crap at reporting the facts.

Sandwich

whats the chances of a total failure
    None – all of Murdoch’s UK titles, including News of the World, account for just 4% of News Corporation’s turnover.

Quite high now as the US can start using the FCPA which has resulted in jail time and destitution for those convicted of bribing foreign officials. It’s only 5 years prison but the asset forfeiture clauses really sting!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Obviously if Murdoch is convicted of corruption, then News Corporation is in dire trouble.

But News Corporation will not collapse/go bankrupt/whatever, because of the News of the World has folded. Which I believe was the sentiment behind the question.

Junkyard
    Free Member

your usual inaccuracies and distortions of facts ernie

with great power comes great responsibility, as Spiderman’s dad once told him.

It was his uncle 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You know what, I believe you’re right Junkyard …..I think it was indeed his uncle what said it.

It’s a fair cop.

Coyote
    Free Member

lol @ junkyard!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Massive scoop: it appears that sunonsunday.co.uk has now indeed been revealed to have been registered to News International. Whoodathunkit.

Edukator
    Free Member

France 3 must have somehow seamlessly editied and falsified footage from parliament then Ernie. They showed him speaking to the house and demanding a police investigation. I’m neither deaf nor blind. He was demanding the police investigate not a public enquiry, so the police inestigate crimes they were involved in; their own wrong doing.

Europe 1 have just reported the story claiming one of the NOTW journos involved was working for Cameron as recently as last year.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m neither deaf nor blind. He was demanding the police investigate not a public enquiry, so the police inestigate crimes they were involved in; their own wrong doing.

Well I’m starting to suspect that maybe you are both deaf and blind, with your claims that David Cameron was demanding that the police investigate their own wrong doing.

I don’t know what the situation is in France, but here in Britain the days when the police investigated themselves are long gone – in fact it was in 1985 when the Police Complaints Board was scrapped. And it was scrapped for the very reasons you would expect, ie, it is ridiculous for the police to investigate themselves.

I suggest to tip off ill-informed France 3 about the facts.

……..and that in future you rely on the world’s highest quality news provider – the BBC.

MSP

…….and that in future you rely on the world’s highest quality news provider – the BBC.

Certainly not since the Hutton report.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why, who did Lord Hutton suggest was the world’s highest quality news provider in his report ?

MSP

He didn’t he just cut the bbc’s balls off at the request of his political masters.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So why should we be bothered about what Lord Hutton had to say concerning the BBC then ?

EDIT : Sorry, I’m half asleep, I now understand what you’re saying – the BBC isn’t quite as effective as it was before Hutton/Greg Dyke etc. I couldn’t agreed more – another thing we can be grateful to the right-wingers who seized control of the Labour Party for, even the Tories couldn’t/wouldn’t shaft the BBC like New Labour did.

Fortunately the BBC is so much head and shoulders over all other news providers, that it is still the best news provider in the world – despite New Labour.

MSP

You claimed they are the best, I just raised one of the reasons they are very far from being so.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Who is the best then?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I edited before your last post MSP. I was right first time – you are claiming that the BBC is no longer the best news provider in the world because of Hutton. So the question still stands – who is now ?

MSP

There is no stand out news organisation. And it would be a mistake to believe that one news organisation gives anywhere near an accurate picture of events. However I now find most others deal with facts better than the BBC which has become fixated with some sort of human interest magazine style journalism.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘News of the World RIP’ is closed to new replies.