Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Zealand floods.
  • matt_outandabout

My brother lives in West Auckland. He’s just sent some images and news from flooding this afternoon – and they’ve a further 12 hrs if the rain forecast. He got home on his bike / wading, but many of his office building are staying the night as public transport and cars cannot move.
    They’ve just watched a neighbour’s house move and crack in half as the ground is so wet.
    Apparently they’re evacuating a couple of neighborhood areas – partly flooding and partly landslides.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/auckland-anniversary-weekend-weather-power-cuts-traffic-chaos-as-rain-wind-pounds-north-island/

MoreCashThanDash

Looks horrendous over there

thols2

jesus

matt_outandabout

I’ve no contact with my brother – he had messaged to say power was out so I’m assuming it’s phone network out.

corroded
    Free Member

Crazy amounts of rain in NZ this / last year (El Nino). I went bikepacking in mostly torrential rain around the North Island back in November. Plenty of landslips and washed out roads. Same on the east coast of Australia.

matt_outandabout

Brother just texted – seems they’ve had all sorts of outages so he walked to get a signal.
    Apparently 90mm of rain for most, some areas 150mm of rain in 6 hours.
    With a wet week ahead too…

wooksterbo

Time to contact the inlaws, they live on the outskirts of Auckland.

matt_outandabout

Some of the personal weather stations recorded 300mm of rain in 12 hours.

reeksy

That doesn’t sound like much fun.

East coast Oz is so far not having a wet season this year… kind of odd after the last couple of years, it could break any time though. WA hasn’t had it so good though. The Fitzroy River was 50km wide at one point a couple of weeks ago. The detours to get food to the affected communities was apparently 12,000km!

jamesoz

50km wide at one point a couple of weeks ago. The detours to get food to the affected communities was apparently 12,000km!

Was the detour via Milton Keynes?

reeksy

I think it was “up the guts” to the “top end”, “out whoop-whoop” past the Bungle Bungles to Fitzroy Crossing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.