Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New Orange Crush
  • strangey13
    Free Member

Looking to change my hardtail (currently 29er) and fancy a crush. Anyone got the new one? Seem to have a good right up so far.

superstu
    Free Member

Been looking at these, very favourable reviews. Also interested in hearing from anyone who has one

v55drw
    Free Member

I’ve got one, picked it up from sunset cycles two weeks ago after a test ride and looking at a few other bikes. It rides well, I actually love it if I’m honest, makes me wonder why you’d need more bike unless you’re constantly hitting black routes.

It’s longer than my previous carbon full suss and therefore allows for more breathing room on climbs, the fork as with pikes need a bit of fine tuning but are more than up to the job. Brakes are excellent, no real difference to the xt’s I was running. Frame looks good and the orange grew on me when visiting the shop. The gear ratios are fine, sometimes feel like I’m topping out to easily but it’s not been an issue.

Climbs well, tyres are grippy but the rear is something I’ll change in time, could probably do with a dropper but again it’s not a massive issue. Runs very smooth and quiet, I’m posting comparable times around Cwmcarn on it give or take a second or two on the downs and better on the ups. It’s fun to ride more importantly and the back end drifts really predictably, the feeling of being on the edge is easier to get than on a full suss. It’s my first hardtail in adult life due to focusing more on the road this year and I can’t stop riding it.

Also sunset cycles come with a high recommendation from me, no fuss, no hassle and got a good deal which was even better.

strangey13
    Free Member

Thanks for that, think I just needed a bit of encouragement to get me spending some money . Keep looking at them vs a P7 but end up thinking spend the difference on shining bits instead. Just need to sell the wagon wheeler now. Have you noticed much difference with the low bb height, pedal strikes etc?

breninbeener

Whats the differwnce in geometry between the 2015 and the 2016 Crush?

v55drw
    Free Member

Compared to my previous stumpy evo I haven’t hit the pedals once in five rides. As its rigid at the back I think it negates the low bb, you learn to account for it anyway.

dmorts

I had an older Crush (2010), it was a very fun bike! The only down side I found was that on longer rides the stiff frame was a bit harsh.

jonnym92

I wanted one but they were not available as a frame only until end of March..

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

I have a 2015 Crush, hardly used it tbh. was meant to be a winter hack but dont get out enough to jusify not riding my full suss so have ridden that all winter.

thinking of swapping the frame to a Bfe275 or the new P7 and bringing it darn saarf with me (where i work) and using it over the summer evenings…

pretty pointless and unrelated post there, apologies.

qwerty
    Free Member

Whats the differwnce in geometry between the 2015 and the 2016 Crush?

15-20mm longer TT, 13mm off chainstay, 1′ slacker headangle amongst others.

breninbeener

Wow thats quite a difference in geometry. Thanks

xyeti
    Free Member

I had a 26″ wheeler 2012 one, my son has it now, it’s a great bike, used it as a bit more of a training hack in the winter months and had some on road use as I kept swapping between HR2’s and some Schwalbe slick city tyres.

To give you an idea of just how versatile it is……. And I’m not bragging or condoning just well a bit embarrassed in some respect,

Trail centre riding, Glentress, that big hoofin climb followed by the long boring descent at inners, Dalby, CYB beast, mbr, and probably others, I’m faster round there on that than I am on a full susser costing 4 times as much, It’s agile quick and slack enough to go at it hard, climbing obviously quicker lost out on a few of the downs to the big bike but 95% of it the hard tails quicker, Similarly Road Riding, after 3,000 miles of road riding on a X bike there are still some sections that I can’t do quicker than I did on the Orange.

It’s a great bike and they always fetch good money second hand,

woody2000

I got one as an insurance replacement back end of last year, Crush S with a dropper. It’s a great bike, capable of anything I’d say. Decent climber, great descender – just point it where you want to go and hold on! Good enough that I’m also wondering if I really “need” a FS bike when this will do for the vast majority of my riding. I’ve even been commuting on it, though that is obviously not it’s natural habitat! Good training though 🙂

I expected it to be harsh because it’s built like a brick outhouse, but it’s surprisingly comfortable – certainly more so than the 456 Evo it replaced anyway.

strangey13
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies and help

dirtydog
    Free Member

Shit paint job on full builds(very thin, easily chipped), however frame only option is powder coated here, might be something to bear in mind.

nairnster
    Free Member

A lot of these replies are about the not new versions of the crush.

verbboy
    Free Member

Bought mine initially as a winter hack, had an external dropper in the garage spare, set of XT brakes and upgraded the fork to a Pike.

Its bloody amazing!

Composed, fun & predicable.

Not a whippet up climbs but the descending is so much fun even in the horrible mud we’ve had round here for months.

Couldn’t recommend it enough, my full suss was nearly 3 times the price it’s no way 3 times better. I’m sure there will be days I’d rather take the Crush out.

Buy one!

ljs1977
    Free Member

There are not many 2016’s out there and the next batch is not due till April – I’ve ordered one.

As for the paint, I’ve heard that the standard overseas paint job isn’t great. Just upgrade to one of the powder coated finishes and ask your bike shop to negotiate it for free. Or pay the £70 and get it invisiframed. Plus a complete spray and re-sticker is £150 from Orange.

Cracking little bike.

woody2000

I’d agree about the finish, couple of spots on mine that weren’t the best. But, it’ll spend most of it’s life covered in crap so I struggled to be overly bothered 🙂

Here’s mine in winter commute mode – count those mudguards, 4 of ’em!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New Orange Crush’ is closed to new replies.