Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • New Frame Ideas – 5"ish Travel / Slack / Fun
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thinking of shortly retiring my Blur 4X in favour of something more modern/lighter. Trouble is, I want something pretty similar – good to throw about a bit, fun on the descents/bearable on the climbs etc. Will have a 150mm air fork, 1×9/10 and dropper post build. So far I’m thinking of:
    Orange Five (although with the Maxle rear end I’d want this would drop it down into second hand only territory for me)
    Cotic Rocket (ticks a lot of boxes and having been a 2x Cotic owner in the past, I like the company if that counts for anything plus reading Cy’s spiel, he seems to have designed the bike around pretty much my criteria!)
    Banshee/Mythic Spitfire (like the look of these but asked about them the other day and the outcome was that even Freeborn don’t seem to think they’re very good!)
    Santa Cruz Butcher (maybe a bit OTT for what I’m looking for but it appeals)

Anything else? El Guapo would be a good one especially for the money but my god its ugly. Anyone know if anything is/was happening with those Ragley full bouncers? Nukeproof Mega is kinda half hanging onto the list too but like the Butcher, it may be a bit OTT for what I want.

Dave

wrecker
    Free Member

SC Heckler
    Transition Covert

frank4short
    Free Member

Blur TRc which is effectively the updated version of the Blur4x

steel4real
    Free Member

Hey Dave – I wouldn’t get hung up on a maxle rear for a Five.
    My own experience (12 stone) has never been poor running a Pro II ‘bolt up’ rear on QR drop outs.

Any road – how you doing ?

stewartc
    Free Member

Second the Blur TRc (just got one) though you would have to lose or modify your fork as I am sure they are covered only up to 140mm forks.

sambob
    Free Member

El Guapo is as big as a Mega, bigger than a Butcher. AFAIK, Butcher pedals well, so might not be too bad.

hora
    Free Member

Why not get an existing frame and shorten the shock slightly? Or…. a Five seeing as you live next to chavfax(TM) :mrgreen:

So you need a low BB?
    Short travel?
    Short rear stays?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Blur TRc is waaay out of budget at the moment (damn you new kitchen!).

Heckler… hmmm. Sounds daft but as much as I’d like a Five, I really don’t want a Heckler (Hora’s old one lasted 2 rides with me – just didn’t gel with it).

Covert is a potential.

Another point is whatever I get I’m going to need to get a test ride on. Not sure how easy that is on stuff like the Mythic and Transition…

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Mondraker Foxy? Its 140mm travel but lovely and slack, great looking, very compentent DH but efficent for the ups too.
    Plus it comes with a lifetime warranty.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Basically want a lighter, slightly longer wheelbase Blur 4X Hora. A TRc in fact (but without the price tag).

Another option I could go with is get someone like Nemesis Project in the states to build me something. Had a few mails back and forth with Brad last year about building something with a Ventana rear end which would work out reasonably priced but I’d be scared of seriously cocking up the geometry and flushing a grand down the pan…

hora
    Free Member

Well I’m in on this topic for obvious reasons. Richie- the Foxy got a neg write up on Bikedar (but this was down to the build not the frame?) http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-mondraker-foxy-10-37360

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m sure Si from Progressive will be along in a minute – once my old Spesh Enduro dies there’s a very good chance I’ll be checking out a Chumba.

pigyn
    Free Member

Transition Bandit – http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/transition-bikes-bandit-review/

Demo bike available from Pedals in Edinburgh

Really nice bike, great fun. Looks like the review is now premier only, but it mostly went ‘This bike is pretty ace’

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mondraker might be an option Richie. Can you get them frame only?

Suppose the Maxle isnt a killer on a Five but it’d be nice. Doing good though Marcus. You? Now the nights are getting lighter I might start getting out with the calderdalemtb lot on a Wednesday night. You fancy it?

hora
    Free Member

DBW – I was talking to Dickon once at Jungle and he said the LT2 Blur was quite a close match. Now it could easily have been a sales pitch but I wasn’t looking to buy-just a convo.

Either that or why not run a Superlight with 140 forks? Sounds mad but is it….

kudos100
    Free Member

Chumba xcl. Not the greatest climber, but brilliant at everything else. Jumps and manuals well, eats singletrack for breakfast and is superb downhill.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Just got back to work after a visit to Freeborn – funnily enough as looking to replace my Kobe Ti (so similar situation to you)

I went in asking about the Rampant
    The chap raved on to me about the Ellsworth Momentum. he said it was on another level….not cheap though. he had last years model for 1499 reduced from 2300!

they do look nice in a raw finish though and lots of nice detailing.

steel4real
    Free Member

Hey Dave yes I do (I’ve been meaning to for a while :wink:) & have in the last 2 weeks just started riding again after a 2 month injury lay off…..but I hear on the valley (yes even up here at KingX) drums that CMTB has got a bit fragmented – although Wednesday nights are still alive & kicking.

wrecker
    Free Member

The SC Nickel isn’t a million miles away from the TRC is it? Within budget so could be a good shout.

hora
    Free Member

Bikeradar only gave it 3.5/5 for a frame only Nickel.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Not going to listen to a word BR say though… Nickel is (i think) a bit too xc orientated?

wrecker
    Free Member

Not going to listen to a word BR say though

Very wise……
    It looks like a 5 inch trail bike looking at the geo.
    Some demos about http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/nickel

honourablegeorge

Have you considered a Commencal? The AM got a very good review somewhere (was it in the Dirt 100?) Whether their cracking issues are sorted or not, I don’t know – but there’s a few frame here that might fit the bill.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=73329

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=66815

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=66814

hora
    Free Member

£1600 for a Commencal?

brant
    Free Member

El Guapo would be a good one especially for the money but my god its ugly.

you’re wrong. it’s gorgeous. I wouldn’t lie.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Gimme a little one to have for a while Brant and I might change my mind 😉

hora
    Free Member

Put a bed sheet over them? Or simply market them as ‘nightride bikes’?

brant
    Free Member

My loaner is currently being passed around Hebden as my back’s knackered and I can’t ride right now.
    Ben from Recycle is having one to race the Mega on.

They aren’t shit.

They certainly don’t look like a Nukeproof Mega – which is a pretty straight bunch of tubes with a few bends. That top tube and down tube on the Titus is a remarkable thing, but it’s a pretty smart bit of forming, and they are strong, and really light.
    I look at them like the father of a freckled ginger child perhaps, but honestly, I am liking the lines.

_tom_
    Free Member

too slack and it won’t be that fun. Try something with short chainstays/wheelbase and around a 67 degree head angle. My Bullit’s like that and it’s the most fun bike I’ve ridden. Probably more travel than you’re after though.

Or have a look at some slopestyle bikes.

legend
    Free Member

GT Distortion? 114mm travel with a 66.5 HA should be fun anywhere you take it (can I get a test ride please??)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Might have to pester you for a go when it gets back into your mitts then Brant as like I said, it does appeal. Will make sure nobody bullies it.

rs
    Free Member

Stumpy Evo?

IA

I have an EG, thought they were a bit ugly when I ordered but not that bothered. Have to say, it looks better in the flesh!

On-one’s after sales seems a lot better than it used to be too, had an issue with the shock and it all seems to be getting sorted out fairly efficiently with plenty communication, should get it back this week.

legend
    Free Member

I look at them like the father of a freckled ginger child perhaps,

Looking for a reason to send it back?

huws
    Free Member

What about a Blood?

[shameless plug] Unfortunately they’re no longer for sale but I just happen to have one for sale here [/shameless plug] 😉

greeble
    Free Member

saracen ariel?

I_Ache
    Free Member

My first thought was Stumpy Evo my second was a TRc. As you cant afford the TRc and you say it looks ideal why not wait for the aluminium TR?

GT Distortion looks good too.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Richie- the Foxy got a neg write up on Bikedar (but this was down to the build not the frame?) http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-mondraker-foxy-10-37360

. . .and yet a totally STUNNING right up in Dirt.

There’s no substitute to riding one yourself because, as these differing reviews prove, everyone is different.

Daveyboy – The Foxy is indeed availble in a frame only and bloody lovely it is too.
    Take a look http://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/2534-2012_mondraker_foxy_rr.php?r=3m4d0b15s0

Give me a yell if I can help further.

Richie

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘New Frame Ideas – 5"ish Travel / Slack / Fun’ is closed to new replies.