Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New forks – to boost or not to boost?
  • philstone

I’m in the market for some new forks, currently I have all non-boost, but the forks I’m after (36 FIT4 170mm) don’t come in nonBoost. I can get some non boost 36s converter to 170, or I can buy some hub adapters…

Any reason for one way or the other?

scotroutes

I wouldn’t spend any of my money on non-boost forks.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Im looking at some 36’s FIT in 160mm. I have a hope 2 hub I dont want to change, so I will not be buying boost forks.
    I certainly dont fancy tooling around with making a non boost hub fit a boost fork.
    It seemed the fox range covered all possible standard and sizes, apart from the orange ones, so surprised you cant get what you want, but I was only looking at FIT not FIT4(which seems a bit too ctd & associated bad memories for me)

philstone

MRP do a straight bolt on kit requiring no dishing..

The non boost only go to 160mm, anything over is either RC2 or boost.

I have to do a lot of road transitions between trails so going FIt4 this time. I know that I can get TF to Push it to exactly where I like it if needs be.

jfb01
    Free Member

If you use mudguards on the front,get boost for the extra mud clearance.

vincienup
    Free Member

Personally, if I was buying a brand new fork it would be Boost. If the wheels of that bike didn’t need sharing with any non Boost bikes, I’d also replace the hub rather that use an adapter.

I have bought a Boost fork, and I am using an adapter but because the wheels are shared…

philstone

What adapter are you using?

teethgrinder

Non-Boost. Buying Boost things only encourages them. ****.

chakaping
    Free Member

Non-Boost. Buying Boost things only encourages them. ****.

Too late, very hard to buy the fork you want in non-boost 2018 version.

I had to get a 2017 Lyrik. Only staying non-boost so all three of my MTBs can share wheels though TBH.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Boost mainly has an advantage in (supposedly) better clearance for fatter tyres and rims. If you want to follow that trend, then boost away.

If not, you don’t need it. Buying boost for future proofing could be false economy as by the time you might change wheels, the standards will have changed again.

All my bikes are non-boost and it’s staying that way. I hate having components I can’t swap about.

That said, if what you want only comes in boost, then boost it is and get a kit and re-dish (possibly), or new wheels.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New forks – to boost or not to boost?’ is closed to new replies.