Home Forums Bike Forum New ebike (first mtb in 12 yrs) what do I need to buy?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New ebike (first mtb in 12 yrs) what do I need to buy?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My last bike was 2012, and things have moved on quite considerably since then !

The new bike will be Di2, setup tubeless.

What do I need to purchase in advance, or can I get away without any of these?

1. Tyre sealant – do I get this in advance, or am I right in thinking it only needs doing once a year or so?

2. Tubeless repair kit – is this the equivalent of a tube puncture repair kit? I never carried puncture repair kits with tubes so should I now (ie isnt that what tubeless is supposed to stop)

3. Spare tube? Feels a lot less faff than the above. But how easy is that with gunk going every where, and is that the point of the above?

4. Airshot – buy now or wait and see how well the tyres re seat with a track pump?

5. Small pump or cannisters? I have a load of small cannisters that I take on the road bike, none of which have ever been used.

6. Motor Guard – is this really needed or only for people riding really loose rocky stuff?

7. Clothing – I have read increasingly that people need warmer gear on an ebike? On an analogue mtb  I very rarely wear long trousers as I boil, or particularly insulated tops. Will I need to look at this on an ebike?

Is there anything else I need to consider purchasing at this stage?

Ta

argee

I’d get the shop to stick some stans in before you pick it up, tubeless repair kit is basically the bacon strips, so i tend to just stick a tube in and fix the tyre afterwards. Airshot is a definite if you are changing tyres, same with the C02 inflators for rides, you need a small pump as well, as you put a shot in, then pump up to required pressure.

Clothing, whatever you want, except a dryrobe, even ebikers have standards!

kayak23

what do I need to buy?

A big coat? (In before someone else)

*Disclaimer – I’ve got an ebike too. 😉

seriousrikk

On the topic of tubeless repair kit. Get one.

If you get a good one it is significantly quicker and easier than putting a tube in. If there is a hole big enough that the sealant cannot deal with it, ping a bacon strip in there, give the wheel a spin and put some air back in. Sorted. I have the peatys one and it’s bang on.

If you take a tube, be ready to spend a few minutes removing thorns that you didn’t know were there (because with tubeless they simply don’t matter) from the inside of your sealant coated tyre. Or having to re-air your tube every ten minutes.

alan1977
    Free Member

well, depends what you are doing on it, if you are riding loops around the woods mile from your house, you probably don’t need anything with you, if you are anywhere that would take more than 20mins to walk back pushing the bike, i’d certainly chuck the worst-case scenario kit on your bike, all my bikes have tyre plugs in the bars, co2 up the fork steerer  and a multi tool in the crank. Only time i ever take a tube is if i’m out on my gravel bike, potentially 15 miles away from home

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hmm conflicting advice already as to whether to carry a tube or repair kit

Clothing isnt a being on trend thing, just more do people find that they are cooler riding an ebike than analogue bike?

reeksy

Hmm conflicting advice already

New here? 😉

I’m sure all ebike riders think they’re cooler.

If you’re riding an ebike then a full face helmet and hard armour is essential.

Two tubes minimum at all times.

Etc.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Both.  Sticking a plug in is quick and easy but if you’ve slashed the tyre you are going to need a tube.

For clothing you’re going to need some tracky bottoms and a hoody

Tracey

1. I do it my self and regularly check it. After trying everything on the market I’m back on Stans

2. I have the Dynaplug racer. On the rare occasion its been needed its worked fine

3. I carry a tube. Cant remember when I last needed to use one but have given a few away trailside to recue someone’s day

4. I use a cheap Aldi compressor at home. Cheaper than an Airshot and no faffing

5. Carry both.

6. Not bothered with one and been lucky so far. I do ride rocky stuff, loose and not loose.

7. Just ride in what I would normally wear. emtb or mtb

twotonpredator

I look at it from the other way. You can get away with a full face, decent armour all year round and thicker clothing in the winter as you aren’t working as hard on an e-bike.

Assuming it will be used over serious terrain then just go straight for 1,300g tyres with inserts and high flow valves. You may never need that tube.

And standard Stans is still the benchmark.

julians
    Free Member

Clothing isnt a being on trend thing, just more do people find that they are cooler riding an ebike than analogue bike?

Full fat ebike ridden in high power modes?  Yes, wear warmer clothes

Sl/low power ebike, or full fat ridden in eco? No wear your usual gear.

grahamt1980

even ebikers have standards!

Um….. bull####

z1ppy

1 Sealant – Get shop to do it, it easy but a faff, let them deal with the faff the first time.

2. Tubeless repair kit – Any tyre worm system will work

3. Spare tube – I do, but haven’t used it in a year or so, but again, I am not pushing out or relying on others

4. Airshot – I have an Aldi compressor and was given an airshot, it’s actually very good. I’m torn as to which is better (build a DIY airshot).

5. Small pump  – Topeak mtn morph or one of these new battery jobbies Cycplus version, others are available

6. Motor Guard – I’ve never used one (3rd ebike), but it might depend on the bike

7. Clothing – Normal stuff, but maybe an extra layer in your bag, as there’s more chatting 😀

Is there anything else I need to consider purchasing at this stage? Tyres with thicker sideways or maybe inserts.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for the further input.

So for big rides out a tube and repair kit might be prudent. I already have a pump but was hoping to ditch it.

It doesnt look like Aldi do compressors at the minute, and all other brands appear to be £100 + so twice the price of an air shot! – unless I am missing something at aldi

?

Re those electric tyre inflators. It would be absolutely logical to have a lighter still version with no battery that just plugs in to the bikes battery, but I am guessing such things are not possible?

Ta

Garry_Lager

Wouldn’t worry about an airshot straight away – track pump always does the job ime on new MTB tyres. I’ve had occasional problems with swapping older tyres.

I’ve 100% needed an airshot for some smaller volume road and cross tyres, though – it’s a good thing to have in general.

dyna-ti

Just in case you ride past anyone you may know.

61d4hxZc7wL._AC_SX679_

oceanskipper

For clothing you’re going to need some tracky bottoms and a hoody

And a balaclava.

intheborders
    Free Member

Both is the answer, just like you’d do on ANY bike setup tubeless.

tall_martin

I carry a tube and tubeless repair kit and puncture kit on my MTB. Plus multi tool pump, co2. Spare hangar…

My mate (on an ebike)  the other night had nothing. Not even a multi tool.

So the answers is somewhere between the two.

I don’t like walking home. I have all that on the bike when it’s a maximum of 30 min walk to the car or even if it’s just an hour walk home

montylikesbeer

The usual trre kit, multi tool, power ling, mech hanger, gaffa tape wrapped around somthing, £10.00 note, spare brake pads, spare rear mech battery (did I say I was wireless)

pothead
    Free Member

Is there anything else I need to consider purchasing at this stage

If you don’t already own one a chain wear tool, an ebike will go through chains a LOT faster than a normal mtb. I’m on the 3rd chain in just over 1000 miles since I bought the ebike

oceanskipper

I’m on the 3rd chain in just over 1000 miles since I bought the ebike

Sounds like you need an XTR/XO1 chain. They last ages. I’m at least 4000km into my XO1 chains and still virtually no wear (mine are waxed though which helps even more but you will definitely spend less overall if you use top quality chains…)

By way of contrast the SLX level chain that came on my first e-bike lasted 300 miles.

Tracey

X01 chains on all our bikes except an XX1 that came on the Turbo Levo. As above they last for ages.

I also have the same kit and spares whichever bike I’m on.

I keep saying that the next one I meet stranded trail side due to them not carrying anything then I will just ride on but in reality I won’t as I’m not that kind of person

intheborders
    Free Member

My mate (on an ebike)  the other night had nothing. Not even a multi tool.

That’s known as doing a ‘Dickson’ in my cycling circle, from the brothers who never brought anything with them and were constantly having ‘issues’.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’m at least 4000km into my XO1 chains and still virtually no wear

On an eBike riding off-piste?

pothead
    Free Member

Sounds like you need an XTR/XO1 chain. They last ages. I’m at least 4000km into my XO1 chains and still virtually no

Obviously not riding the sort of trails in the conditions I’m using this ebike, I was told to expect 6-800 miles by the shop mechanic when I bought it. I rarely ride trail centres and never use the ebike for riding local cycletracks/bridleways/ road. I’m also on the 3rd cassette and 2nd GX AXS mech (warranty). 1st chain was changed as it was worn/stretched but was shifting ok, I stupidly binned it before I’d tried riding with the new chain which skipped straight away,  2nd cassette actually bent on the 3 biggest cogs after about 10 rides, shop refused to warranty that when they replaced the mech. 3rd cassette and chain currently working perfectly but not a chance I’m expecting any more than 800 miles at best from the chain riding steep techy muddy off piste through the coming winter. By steep I mean climbing stuff that wouldn’t be possible on a normal mtb as well.as descents

tomhoward

On an eBike riding off-piste?

a mix of that, trail centres and commuting, but I got 3000 miles out of an X01 chain and cassette on a 1st gen Levo

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok chain wear / management might be a thing I need to be careful with. Having Di2 it shifts so much more crisply, but I imagine the chances of mech failure are higher if the setup isnt perfect as a computer cant sense when things are not quite right

Are these XO1 chains compatible with Shimano?

pothead
    Free Member

Are these XO1 chains compatible with Shimano?

For comparison it’s  XX1/XTR,  X01/XT,  GX/SLX afaik, I stick to same brand of chain/cassette, I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work but haven’t tried personally. I use the ebike exclusively for riding steep techy trails up (on emtb/boost)  and down, that will undoubtedly wear out a chain faster than someone using it for general all round riding/commuting

tomhoward

XX1 and X01 are both XTR adjacent.

monkeyboyjc

6. Will depend on the bike and design of the motor. If the BB is low and the motor has an other inch of material it will cirtainly bash rocks more frequently than a regular bike. I’ve destroyed a guard on my ebike and the stock motor cover is supposed to be quite brittle. A mate has a full metal plate but that seems worse imo as it reduces ground clearance further and can cause warranty issues depending on where it’s mounted. One bash too it also had us trying to reattach his plastic motor guard for half an hour mid ride as it pushed if ouf of shape. I’m sure if he didn’t have it fitted the clearance would have been improved.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.