Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • New Conti Dinosaur themed Tyres
  • jamesfts
    Free Member

Finally got around to fitting mine, Argotal 2.6 front and Kryptotal-r 2.4 rear – both enduro/soft. Replacing Michelin Wildenduro racing lines that I’ve been running for years and love.

Sizing wise the 2.6 is tall, had to switch mudguards to a smaller one to clear the tyre. 2.4 is a bit weedy but should be fine at the back. Noticeably lighter and less sticky than than the Michelins – which I expected.

1 muddy ride in, they’re more aggressive than the (well worn) Michelins on turn in and cut through slop better. Slightly less progressive and don’t cling to wet rock/roots as well. Climbing they’re noticeably less draggy.

Overall quite impressed, few like they should last better than the Michelins and suit current conditions well though I’d probably go to Kryptotal front/super soft and rear/soft in the dh casing wheb things dry up and gets a bit faster.

bikesandboots

Anyone running inserts in these?

Or anyone used to run inserts but don’t feel the need to with these?

I’ve almost decided after my latest tyre swap battle with Rimpacts, that I’m done with inserts.

bruneep

still can’t find stock of front enudro 29×2.4

appltn

Anyone running inserts in these?

Or anyone used to run inserts but don’t feel the need to with these?

I’ve almost decided after my latest tyre swap battle with Rimpacts, that I’m done with inserts.

On the rear I was running an exo+ casing with a tannus insert and switched to a trail casing Kryptotal. I decided to try the conti without the insert because it felt a lot sturdier and I haven’t had an issue yet in about 4-5 months if use.

bikesandboots

Thanks. That’s promising as I run EXO. Dropping the Rimpacts would more than make up for the heavier tyres. Would be interesting if I can still run the -3psi each end that the Rimpacts allow me to.

DHR2 + Dissector … Kryptotal Fr + Xynotal
    Baron Projekt + DHR2 … Argotal + Kryptotal Re

Although I might look at having just one of the Kryptotals and use it on the front or rear depending on the season, saves having two of them. Few comments about that here

Where do the Endurance and Soft compounds land relative to Maxxis Dual Compound, Maxx Terra, and Maxx Grip ?

To answer my own question, based on various comments here and on MTBR, Endurance is at least as grippy as Maxx Terra. And the Trail casing is tougher than EXO+.

bikesandboots

Although I might look at having just one of the Kryptotals and use it on the front or rear depending on the season, saves having two of them. Few comments about that here

And here (1:20) from the Pinkbike racing team. Front has a smoother transition from centre to edge, rear has a firmer cornering hold and clears mud better. I’m sure either would be fine on either end for me.

orena45

I went from Wild Enduros with Rimpact inserts to Kryptotal Enduro front and rear, both without. Upped my tyre pressure a PSI or so out of caution but no problems without the inserts and great grip all around

EhWhoMe

Anyone having issues with weaping side walls, my rear trail casing it weaping out in loads of places mainly at the small center dot on the embossed patteren..using stans.
    Front enduro is fine

bruneep

Anywhere got stock of front enduro tyres yet?

b33k34

Anyone having issues with weaping side walls, my rear trail casing it weaping out in loads of places

Interesting – that was my experience with last generation of Conti tyres in ‘Protection’ casings. It amazes me how they could weep so much liquid but still hold air.

Anywhere got stock of front enduro tyres yet?

+1

bikesandboots

They’re not on here yet, so I don’t expect anywhere in the UK would have.

When I enquired to https://conti-tyres.co.uk/ about availability of different tyres, they said stock will appear on their site for direct sales first (expensive, and expensive postage though). It then goes to their wholesalers and then on to retailers – takes 2-3 weeks from when they come in at conti-tyres.

Northwind

EhWhoMe

Anyone having issues with weaping side walls, my rear trail casing it weaping out in loads of places mainly at the small center dot on the embossed patteren..using stans.

Mine inflated and stayed up without air, which is about the least Continental thing I can imagine.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mine inflated and stayed up without air

Without air? What did you do, fart in it? 😀

BearBack
    Free Member

anyone seen stock anywhere?
    Kryptotal 29×2.4 Enduro

Northwind

Rubber_Buccaneer

Without air? What did you do, fart in it? 😀

A late response, but, god DAMN it!

mrdestructo

So, China prices. Anything imported from German has a high import tax, but still….

Trail Endurance 27.5*2.4 (produced here?) £49
    Enduro Soft 27.5*2.6(German?) version £60

I am absolutely fed up with Maxxis Wobble suffered by almost every single Maxcis tyre I own. Continental and Schwalbe (Magic Mary) tyres are easily (although expensive) available here. Is this what I should be moving to?

appltn

anyone seen stock anywhere?
    Kryptotal 29×2.4 Enduro

@BearBack
    I just got an alert from r2-bike that they have the front and rear enduro soft in stock again.

Looks like the front has already sold out again though!

I’m actually waiting anyway after hearing in a podcast that a supersoft trail casing front is on the way.

bearGrease

@appltn supersoft in trail or in enduro?

tabletop2
    Free Member

I’ve been using the trail ones for ages now. For full on enduro use.

Been really impressed. I am light though

bikesandboots

First ride with a Kryptotal Re Trail on the rear today, replacing my summer Dissector instead of the usual DHR2 (EXO MaxxTerra) for winter.

Trail centre muddy hardpack, mud, and roots. Running the same 22psi as usual (I’m 75kg), it felt maybe a bit stiffer than the DHR2/Dissector so might try 1-2psi less. As I was coming from the Dissector I didn’t ride it back to back with the DHR2, all I can say is it felt good, the only thing I noticed was it felt faster rolling than the Dissector which itself is faster rolling than the DHR2. I can’t attribute it to the tyre alone as I also had a new rear hub, but I beat pretty much all my previous times on downhills, technical and fire road climbs.

Since getting the Cushcore Bead Dropper lever I no longer hate tyre inserts, so I put the Rimpact Original in after all. No problems fitting, pulled the last bit over the rim using just my hands on XM481 rim (no tyre levers used at all, just the Bead Dropper to stuff the bead under the insert), inflated with normal pump. It looks narrower than the DHR2 but that’s only because it’s squarer; the edge knobs don’t curve round so much.

Handy. I was after a burlier Dissector type thing for after the winter so ordered a Xynotal, alongside a Kryptototal which if it really is a faster rolling Big Betty Supergravity then I’m quite excited about it for ham fisted year round rock clobbering and the winter.

@luket
    any comparison of the Kryptotal vs. Xynotal? Given my new winter rear is faster than my previous summer rear, not sure whether to keep the Kryptotal for summer or find something even faster.

joebristol

I’ve been using the Xynotal 29×2.4 Enduro Soft for quite a few months now. Wanted a tougher casing than I usually run for Dyfi in the summer. Sadly I slashed the sidewall with a freak landing from a drop thing in Tony the Tiger (Climach X) and wrote it off. Put it down to bad luck and bought another one and very pleased with it. Running it without an insert – don’t think I need one with a tyre weighing about 1150g.

Rolls ok and so far it’s doing alright in the wet / muddy conditions that are edging their way back. Will continue running it until it gets too slippery – got a trail / endurance Kryptotal Re that I ran last year for proper mud. I think now that’s my 2 rear tyres to cover all year round tbh.

Ive just stuck an ultra soft Kryptotal front DH casing on for BPW in a few weeks. I wouldn’t normally buy a tyre like that but when I slashed the tyre at Dyfi there were limited options to buy at the bike park. I tan it on the rear that day but curious to see how it is on the front. It’ll be coming back off after uplift as it’s too much tyre (circa 1300g and draggy) for me to pedal round.

Either run a Wild Enduro or Hillbilly once the summer finishes – been running the wild enduro for a few months and generally like it. But the Hillbilly (t7 grid gravity) is unbeatable so far in the mud for me. 

luket

@luket any comparison of the Kryptotal vs. Xynotal? Given my new winter rear is faster than my previous summer rear, not sure whether to keep the Kryptotal for summer or find something even faster.

@bikesandboots
    no I’m afraid not. I haven’t used either yet. I’m still battling along quite successfully with a now heavily worn Big Betty. I’m looking forward to a faster tyre but I refuse to take this one off til it’s really knackered and after 2 years of serial tyre swapping and flats the Big Betty is tough as old boots!

joebristol

Just to compare the Kryptotal re in trail / endurance with the Xynotal in Enduro / soft the Kryptotal has chunkier tread and I don’t think from memory that they are ramped like the Xynotal.

So it’s definitely a slower rolling tyre – but vs my usual winter rear (2.3” dhr2 maxterra / exo) it finds a lot more grip in thick mud. Even in the snow on the Mendips it kept going up a few hills where my mate was spinning out his dhr2. I didn’t notice that the harder compound was particularly slipping on any roots more than the maxterra dhr2 I was running before it.

On the front I’d want a grippier compound than endurance though – soft in Conti seems about max terra like for me. Shame they don’t seem to do that compound with the trail casing as that would be ideal on the front.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.