Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • New computer required, PC or Mac?
  • Spud

What's the pros of a Mac v PC? Given for a similar spec the Mac is twice the price?

scotia
    Free Member

Theres a good discussion on here, and on google..

Personally i have just changed to a mac and its not comparable to a pc with regard to spec.

Depends what you want from a computer.

Spud

When you say not comparable, is that in a good way? Also, does a Mac 'see' your iPod and are you able to import directly into iTunes?

Smee
    Free Member

Spud – think about what you have just asked in your last post, then go sit in the dufus corner…:D

Spud

I must be having a thick day as I can't see my mistake… enlighten me?

Smee
    Free Member

Spud – Macs are far superior to PCs and they work incredibly well with ipods, just like everything else made by apple does.

Spud

Sorry, I am coming at this from a use 'em – don't understand 'em angle.

Ta

GrahamS

Macs have one clear advantage:

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Cable clutter? You have not seen the HPs then. And they come with touch screen.

grumm
    Free Member

I can't be arsed to get into all the whys and wherefores again – but I got a mac laptop a few years ago having always used PCs before. Would never go back.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

CaptJon
    Free Member

If you buy a Mac you can run windows on it.

There isn't a standard type of PC, so for comparisons you need to narrow down what you're looking at. Generally, Mac have very good components, build quality and come with some superb software (for free).

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Mac for me, I switched in 2005.

GSter
    Free Member

This is a 'no brainer' !!

Go and do a Mircosoft software update and then do a Mac update……I did one on my work PC yesterday and I lost the will to live after the 6th hour!!

Buy a Mac….you will never regret it
    Piece if piss to use, no virus issues….easy life all the way, everyday !!

And they look better than ANYTHINY else on earth ! 😉

GrahamS

Go and do a Mircosoft software update and then do a Mac update……I did one on my work PC yesterday and I lost the will to live after the 6th hour!!

Yeah because Mac updates always go smoothly:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/16/apple_update_perl_breakage/
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/12/snow-leopard-guest-account-bug-deleting-user-files-terrorizin/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/27/snow_leopard_incompatibilities/

Oh and I've never had a Windows Update take six hours, even downloading and installing a full service pack takes like 20 minutes.

no virus issues.

"Apple is recommending the use of anti-virus tools to protect Mac systems… The admission that security scanner software was a good idea for Mac users came in an unheralded update to Apple's support site made on 21 November 2008"
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/02/apple_mac_av_advice/

grumm
    Free Member

I've yet to hear of anyone ever actually getting a virus on a Mac though – we have loads of them at work with no anti-virus software, and I've downloaded all sorts of dodgy software on mine 😉

GrahamS

So you have no way to detect any viruses on any of your work Macs and so far you haven't detected any viruses? Genius. 😉

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

a virus does not generally advertise the fact that its running havoc on your computer regardless of platform grumm.

for the record Macs are beautiful pieces of kit. But I love the quirks with my windows platform and I can't afford a mac!

grumm
    Free Member

No you can tell they don't have viruses because 'they just work' 😉

I have had viruses on PC before – reinstalling the operating system gets pretty tedious.

nicks
    Free Member

windows 7 advert – " im a PC but, i wish i wish a Mac"

once you go Mac you will never go back .

happy mac user .

Kuco

Went to Mac after windows 98 and have never regretted it.

GJP
    Free Member

I bought a mac a few months ago after using a PC for the last 20 years and it is an absolute joy to use. Just a pity I need to use a windows PC for work.

tomzo
    Free Member

Mac here aswell…
    i like:
    mac os x- i move around the computer alot faster/easier than windows
    the design of the laptop- I dont get why PC supporters are always like 'you only like it because it's pretty'…why do i want a laptop that looks like someone covered it in glue then threw it in the waste plastics bin?
    nice innovative touches-magnetic closure, magsafe protector, backlit keyboard etc etc etc
    The trackpad on laptops with the finger gestures is so good, keep trying to do it on windows laptops!
    installing programs/uninstalling is so easy
    No viruses
    Shuts down/starts up in seconds, and the sleep function actually works.
    It should hold its value pretty well should I ever sell it
    And apple customer support is really good.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I love seeing GrahamS trying to persuade people to buy a pc over a mac. It's comedy genius…or does he really mean it? 😯

iDave
    Free Member

wouldn't go back to PC's after 3 years on Mac

how many have you heard say the opposite – 'I was on mac, went to PC and would never go back to mac'?

no, thought not

i have an XP netbook for my kids to use and its a nightmare for bugs and freezes.

mogrim

Everytime I go to my parents' house I'm condemned to using a Mac, horrible things with cack keyboards and nothing works as you'd expect. It's always a relief to get back to my PC.

Never had a problem with viruses despite over 15 years of PC use, either.

Kuco

Everytime I go to my parents' house I'm condemned to using a PC, horrible things with cack keyboards and nothing works as you'd expect. It's always a relief to get back to my Mac.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I use PC's at work and have a Dell XPS desktop at home purchased just over a year ago. It has Vista installed and has never given me trouble. Having said that I work as a SQL DBA so buggering about with windows is second nature.

I purchased an Intel Macbook pro in 2006, OSX has satisfied my inner geek by giving me a new command line to play around with and familiarized me with Unix/Linux type stuff. This has been dead useful when supporting the odd Linux/mySQL install that turns up hidden on client networks.

Given the choice once I get home from the office I'd sooner be using OSX over Vista however I can never get the macbook pro off my wife…Once I have enough cash the XPS will probably be replaced by an iMac with Sun Virtual Box running windows to deal with a few work things. Since my daughter was born I seem to have little time for the PC games which were the main reason for the XPS purchase.

I'm sure you would be happy with either, the bad old days of windows 98/ME and PC's shipping with woeful hardware specifications seem to be over. Windows 7 is getting a thumbs up all round so go for that if you do go PC.

GrahamS

I love seeing GrahamS trying to persuade people to buy a pc over a mac. It's comedy genius…or does he really mean it?

Wasn't my first post actually in support of the Mac?

I'm a PC man myself, but I'm no apologist. I do think Macs are really good for certain people, as evidenced by the replies on this thread.

They are a much more closed environment, which is why stuff "just works" on them. Many people are happy with that.

PCs are much more open, which means you get more choice, but also means it's completely impossible to fully test anything, so there can be more issues with them.

It's a compromise either way.

It just grips my sh*t a bit when indoctrinated Mac users pretend that it isn't and that everything is just shiny and perfect in Mac-land 😀

rs
    Free Member

my macs have been shiny and perfect for four years now 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

how many have you heard say the opposite – 'I was on mac, went to PC and would never go back to mac'?

/Waves.

I have to be honest, I just don't get it. Everything that works really well on a PC or linux/whatever, they've changed on the MAC and the only reason I can see is so it's different, not better. I rarely bother digging hard on these discussions any more because trolling MAC owners is so easy it's boring but I couldn't see what was SO much better than a PC. I read the threads and people will come up with long lists of why they went to a MAC, invariably bad things about PC's rather than good things about MAC's and I just don't get the same problems that people talk about, never have.

If someone can come up with a series of reasons other than the tired old 'no viruses' (I don't get viruses on my windows or linux pc's) or 'it looks great' (of no interest to me), I'll be happy to read it but no-one ever does.

Smee
    Free Member

I've had this mac a few days and have already had it crash a few times and had to do a clean install on it. Serves me right for buggering about with it though.

The thing with Macs isn't really to do with the software, it's to do with the build quality and design – you do pay for it though.

2 Macs and 1 PC.

rs
    Free Member

iLife

rs
    Free Member

for me its mostly about the software and ease of use

Smee
    Free Member

What is so special about Mac software RS? There is no software that you can get for a mac that you can get a comparable shareware version for the the PC for free.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It just grips my sh*t a bit when indoctrinated Mac users pretend that it isn't and that everything is just shiny and perfect in Mac-land

😆 😆 😆

Kuco

Bit like singlespeeders really.

grumm
    Free Member

Garageband for one is a superb piece of software – if anyone knows of a good PC equivalent then please let me know as I'm always being asked to recommend one.

rs
    Free Member

ilife, I know you get pc software which does the same but the experience is not in the same league.

samuri
    Free Member

is garageband free? Just looking at the website now, that does look very good indeed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘New computer required, PC or Mac?’ is closed to new replies.