Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • New car time diesel estate
  • madxela
    Free Member

+1 for X type

was looking at Passat/Mondeo/Avensis but for the same money second hand got this – Ford based engine, great ride, low tailgate, very useful load bay (previously had a Peugeot 506 estate).

get it serviced at Kwik Fit!

johnellison
    Free Member

Volvo V70. The engines are Audi-built and bullet proof. Nice low loading level, plus the tailgate is vertical which means more loadspace. Electricals can be suspect on earlier phase 2 cars, so go for a late model (2004 onwards) P2 or a P3. 2,4 D5s are best, the 2,0 and 1.6 DRIVe are gutless wonders by all accounts.

Plus, fold the back seat down and if you’re under 6 foot 2 you can sleep in it full length!!

These cars are good for 250K miles plus if properly looked after. Even if it’s got 100k on the clock it’s barely bedded in.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had a test drive in a passat and the boot is massive. It also feels massive to drive.

Got a 320 Touring in the end. If you want huge boot space it’s probably not the one to go for, but it is really nice to drive. The least estate like of the ones I test drove.

I’d be temped by the Alfa, though my Alpha itch has already been scratched.

Edit: Beemer probably not great for dogs either. If you use a crate then a medium sized one is a bit of a pain to fit in the back, and there’s not much room for much else. Also the boot lip isn’t particularly low but our dog is easy to pick up so no problem for us. The Passat was much better but I just found it a bit boring (yes I know it’s an estate!)

geordiemick00
    Free Member

my company is selling a 60 plate C5 estate Exclusive, 42K and FDSH, loads of whistle and bells on it and it will be within your budget. It’s 2.0DHi 163 auto, email in profile if interested.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Exeo isn’t based on the old A4. Its based on the old, old A4 (popped up around 2001 – the 2005 > 2009 was nothing more than a facelift). I’d steer clear or just get an Audi that its based on – it’ll be cheaper and looks prettier.

I’ll stick in a vote for the Octavia. I’ve got a mk2 petrol vRS estate and its great albeit a little thirsty but I can cope with that. Going to get a FL version sometime this year. But, just before we got it, we hired a FL version (boggo standard diesel hatchback) and did about 2000 miles in it in a fortnight down to the south of France and back and it was excellent. Frugal, fine on the motorway, big boot (big enough for us to consider a hatch next) – the only thing it was lacking was a 6th gear for 80mph autoroute cruising.

Mazda 6 looks good – I kinda fancy a 6 Sport estate but find the dash horrific. Shame…

Mondeo is always a good shout. I’m going to have to have a good poke about in one of those before we get another Octy. Passat – my dad has just got a new shape saloon. Interior is very nice and the Bluemotion shizzle is nice on the tax front. Expect you might just squeeze in a new shape estate for your budget. Seem to hold their prices pretty well too.

iainc

3 series tourer is tiny in the boot, which is a shame as it’s a great car. Mine goes back next months after 3 yrs without a squeak or rattle. Too small for main family car for us, with 6 and 10 yrs old boys.

falkirk-mark

Cheers guys I got a C5 VTR+NAV 61 plate ex demo for £14000 with only 4000 miles,looks like a good un

renton
    Free Member

sounds like a nice car that !!

@daveboywonder how can you find this dash horrific ????

Driving it the dash makes a lot of sense as everything you need is to hand !!

john_drummer
    Free Member

does it need to be diesel?

if you do < 12k miles a year, short or stop-start journeys, diesel may not be the right engine. Especially modern diesels with DPFs that require a regular 15-30 minute 50+ mph run

seba560
    Free Member

Oh god in heaven help me. That’s simply horrendous. Mass produced plastic for plastic minds.

MrOvershoot

seba560 – Member

Oh god in heaven help me. That’s simply horrendous. Mass produced plastic for plastic minds.

Looks easy enough to work & slightly less soulless than most VAG units

But until you sit in and use any car its hard to say?

seba560
    Free Member

Looks easy enough to work

That would explain it then.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Vote here for Octavia VRS estate……..or a late gen Saab 9-3 TTiD 180 Sportwagon (it’ll be dead cheap, but see previous posts about the failings – and strengths – of GM era Saabs)

pingu66
    Free Member

I am in the same boat C class estate going this year, won’t get another. Starting to hate it now and lust after my A6. Got to replace OHs car this year as well so might get her a cheap estate as its only taking the dogs to the forest. Thinking Astra or Focus with seats down as two biggish hounds.

Then I can get an A6 or an XF for fun!

But I might still get myself an estate! Test drove everything when I got the Merc. V70 and C5 felt like boats. Passat didn’t inspire me but that was 4 years ago so new shape out. I can’t keep the car I have till the new Mondeo is out but want to spend max £15k.

parkesie
    Free Member

I had the same dilema just before Christmas looked at and test drove most of the cars in this thread and made the same choice new shape c5 but in 2.0 exclusive format. Its just the comfort and quietness of the thing that won out for me. Oh and it goes up and down 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Skoda are doing the Octavia VRS 170 DPF runout model with Satnav and Leather for under 18K new… Brilliant value

bowglie

Skoda are doing the Octavia VRS 170 DPF runout model with Satnav and Leather for under 18K new… Brilliant value

Yeah, if anyone else is interested, you can get a stellar deal at the mo. The run out ‘Blackline’ model comes with £1900 worth of extras – no VAT, 3 years servicing and a contribution towards deposit!
    We’ve just ordered the estate version – can’t wait 😀

FuzzyWuzzy

Skoda Octavia or a Skoda Superb if you want more leg room in the back/bit bigger boot

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘New car time diesel estate’ is closed to new replies.