Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • New car time Alfa or Honda?
  • Johnboy373
    Free Member

I want a new car for the summer. I’ve narrowed it down to two cars, an Alfa Romeo Spider or a Honda S2000.

Very different cars I know. Honda being more driver focused rear wheel drive fun machine compared to the Alfa s stunning looks.

What do you guys think? Help me decide

Cheers

Bregante

Honda – bomb proof mechanicals. Surely it would have better residual value too.

mboy
    Free Member

Ask yourself what you want from the car…

The S2000 isn’t quite the drivers car Honda wanted it to be by all accounts, though still going to be quite a lot of fun with 240bhp (albeit at 9000rpm) and rear wheel drive. The Alfa will be quite a bit slower, and a car for pottering about in and looking cool.

Both will probably have strong residual values assuming you’re looking at used examples of a few years old. Obviously the Honda is likely to be MUCH more reliable…

Me, I’d take something else altogether… Probably look at something slightly older, a 3.2 Porsche Boxter S most likely, or maybe a 3 litre Z4…

loddrik
    Free Member

+1

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

Alfa spider by a mile, the S2000 looks dated now.

Rosss
    Free Member

I take it your talking about the brera ? Saw one today and they are stunning but you can’t fault the s2000

titusrider
    Free Member

Ahhh the old Alfa reliability question
    I presume u have experience with the new shape spider / brera mboy or that would just be jumping on the easy bandwagon 😛

My dad has the new 3.2 spider and it has been faultless, driving style deffo more cruise than sporty though

titusrider
    Free Member

Rosss the spider being refered to is the one that looks like a brera with the roof off but it is just called the spider and the shape at the back is v different

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Can’t afford Porsche:( I do like z4 tho. I reckon 15k would
    Be my max budget.

Rosss
    Free Member

You learn something new everyday Cheers Titus

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

15k? you can easily get a boxster for that

Johnboy373
    Free Member

Yeah but it’ll be 10 years old!

mboy
    Free Member

I presume u have experience with the new shape spider / brera mboy or that would just be jumping on the easy bandwagon

Alfa have significantly upped their game in the last few years, ever since they employed that bloke (can’t think of his name) from BMW to come and improve their quality.

I had (wrongly) assumed the OP was talking about older cars, meaning the Alfa Spyder from the generation before. In which case, they weren’t all that great reliability wise. The newer cars are much better of course, though not really old enough yet to do any long term reliability studies on. I’d still take a Honda over any Alfa though if my only concern was reliability.

Be my max budget.

You can get Boxsters for less than £7k if you look hard! Though I wouldn’t… I’d spend £10-12k on a very good, well cared for, Boxster S with a manual gearbox in a good colour if it were my money… Virtually depreciation proof, and mechanically very strong too (ignore the smaller engined version, the 5spd manual is a much weaker gearbox).

chiefgrooveguru

Chalk and cheese!

titusrider
    Free Member

You just can’t buy a boxter.

” look at that man over there, he can’t afford a 911 you know”

mrchrispy

The view from the alfa is very good…….it’ll spend most of it’s time on the back of a flatbed

titusrider
    Free Member

Rolls eyes at mr crispy

mafiafish
    Free Member

You might be able to find a maserati 3200gt for 15k. Lovely car and has 4 big seats to boot. But otherwise I’d get the Alfa. My favourite car that I’ve ever driven is a 156 2.4 diesel. More fun than an xkr or sl55 (can’t stand automatics)
    EDIT. you can get one with a few grand to spare.

stug45
    Free Member

Keep the Honda for ages. Keep it clean and put fresh oil in regularly enough. Get a good one and keep it garaged and you can pass it onto your grandchildren

starsh78
    Free Member

Be my max budget.

This is what you want. Porsche 911 within budget… cheaper to run than a Z4

This coming from an Alfaowner 😉

special77
    Free Member

A good mate of mine had an S200 and had a fair few issues and had to spend a reasonable amount of money on it too. I’ve got an Alfa Brera and it’s been great, couple of minor bits done on warranty and thats it, biggest issue is having a good dealer nearby. Having said that my TVR has been the least hassle of any car I’ve ever owned.

chiefgrooveguru

If you can get to drive both, that will tell you the answer!

igm

stug45 – Member
    Keep the Honda for ages. Keep it clean and put fresh oil in regularly enough. Get a good one and keep it garaged and you can pass it onto your grandchildren

It’s a Honda – surely you don’t buy it unless you already have grandchildren?

hora
    Free Member

Brera = cool, Spider = retiree.

The S2000 looks dated? Classic IMO. Depends what you are looking for, I LOVE the Brera but some of the engines aren’t great (2.2 isn’t).

S2000 for me.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Drive them – the Honda might be good if you are tonning it around at high revs but boring otherwise.

My mate had a boxster – I wasn’t impressed at all – he sold it as it was too noisy with the engine right behind your head.

But at least a boxster is a decent design, unlike a 911 which needs loads of electronics to keep it on the road…

What about several 3.0 litre alfa spyders of the older generation – cheap and with several there should be always one that is working. Another friend had one and had loads of problems and build problems, then got an Elise, but missed the Alfa.

austen

I’ve got an S2000 and it’s a very focussed sports car, the steering isn’t quite on a Lotus level, lacking a bit of fine feel and it tramlines a fair bit. Other than that it’s a hoot though needs to be treated with respect having no traction control etc to get you out of trouble.

Internally it’s _very_ basic for a modern car but that’s what we were looking for. All controls for heating stereo, lights etc are a finger tip reach from the steering wheel – there is nothing for the passenger to play with and in the left hand seat you definitely feel like a second class citizen with fewer heating vents etc.

In 2004 there was a change to some of the suspension settings to make the handling a bit less snappy, so these are the cars to go for, I think the 2008 update was mainly cosmetic.

VTEC is fantastic and addictive and the engine is not as gutless at low revs as people would have you believe. Not necessarily a major consideration but pottering around it’s also pretty economical as only a 2.0 engine. That engine! Proper engineering, so turbine smooth at 7k… Ours has almost 60k on the clock and still feels brand new.

In my mind the styling is neat and japanese, it isn’t dated except for the Knight Rider dash, still looks much better than one of those horrible beemers.

As you say, very different cars, go and drive them and see what suits.

TheFlyingOx

My mum’s got the new Alfa Spider. Diesel 🙄
    In the 12 months she’s had it, it’s been back to Alfa twice for replacement turbos. And there’s an intermittent glowplug problem that REALLY affects power. Alfa can’t find out what the problem is.

TheFlyingOx

Also, have you considered the Vauxhall VX220? Properly mental, by all accounts. Especially the VX200 Turbo.

molgrips
    Free Member

Glow plugs affecting power? Not surprised they can’t find the issue, sounds like they are looking in the wrong place 🙂

TheFlyingOx

Glow plugs affecting power? Not surprised they can’t find the issue, sounds like they are looking in the wrong place

What’s your point, caller?
    From what my mum tells me, every now and again it is really hard to start and accelerates like a diesel until it’s well up to temperature. Obviously by the time it gets to the Alfa garage it’s warmed up and so doesn’t show the problems. As far as Alfa can see there’s no damage to the glowplugs and haven’t offered a solution.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I like the idea of 147 diesel. Would it be rubbish for £2500? I do some 150 miles a day or more so need cheap to run.

starsh78
    Free Member

in a word HC, yes, you can get an alright petrol for that money, but diesel alfa’s have a bonkers premium on them

warton
    Free Member

You might be able to find a maserati 3200gt for 15k

I’m sure you could, but if my mates is anything to go by it really will spend more time being fixed than out on the road. He kindly lent it too me for my honeymoon in Yorkshire, it is a beautiful car, fast, comfy and it turns heads, but at 1k + for a service its not an everyday car for most people!

TheFlyingOx

‘m sure you could, but if my mates is anything to go by it really will spend more time being fixed than out on the road. He kindly lent it too me for my honeymoon in Yorkshire, it is a beautiful car, fast, comfy and it turns heads, but at 1k + for a service its not an everyday car for most people!

There’s also the small issue of the steering rack detaching itself from the chassis.

mazdarati

Nothing wrong with Alfa reliability these days. I had a 156 back in 2001 and never gave an ounce of trouble. Brother has a 166 3.0 lusso and his missus has the old model Spider. Neither have given any real trouble. They have a great Alfa dealer nearby tho which I think helps a lot.

Besides theres something about Alfas, even the most basic ones are that little bit special to drive

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m sort of thinking about a 147 diesel, couldn’t afford the petrol’s running costs. BTW Premium? Have a look at Ireland, that’ll cheer you up 😉

hora
    Free Member

You might be able to find a maserati 3200gt for 15k

Or a VW Phaeton

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The OP’s looking for a convertible sports car and you suggest a big Passat. Bonkers.

What about Merc SLK?

5lab

sounds like the car you could get in order of sportiness -> cruisiness would be

exige\elise\vx220
    tvr of some kind
    boxter
    s2000
    350z
    z4
    audi tt
    slk
    mx5
    spider
    crossfire srt

there’s a few in between the s2000 and the spider that are worth considering imo

chiefgrooveguru

One nice thing about the S2000 is you can have a conversation at motorway speeds with the roof down, which was a pleasant surprise. Likely to be a future classic with that engine. Gearbox is very nice too, feels like moving a rifle bolt. Very high cornering limits but you have to be good to stay pointing in the right direction in the wet if you’re pushing it. 1300kg vs the Spider at 1530kg. 240bhp vs 181bhp. Built as a roadster and thus nice and rigid, unlike most chopped off coupes.

However, if you live somewhere with busy roads then the slower but prettier Spider may be far less frustrating than being stuck in a queue of traffic in a car that loves to be driven fast!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘New car time Alfa or Honda?’ is closed to new replies.