Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • NEW BIKE SHOP IN MENDIP ???
  • singlecrack
    Free Member

Q for the mendip massive

New bike shop at the bottom of Burrington coombe anyone know anything about it ???????

clubber
    Free Member

Oh, that sounds interesting!

singlecrack
    Free Member

Yeh drove past it tonight its in the old garden centre area next to the cafe/pub

clubber
    Free Member

Road mtb or both?

oldfart

Tell me more ?

singlecrack
    Free Member

looked like some mtb's in the window .
    Couldn't quite make it out it was dark and the lights were on in the shop so could see bikes on stands etc

singlecrack
    Free Member

could just be rented for some demo's

as I said it was dark couple of vans out front with graphics on

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

I rode past it a couple of weeks back, hard to see what they had though. A few bikes on stands. Might go on a reconnaissance mission later this week…

elliptic
    Free Member

It's Badass Bikes new shop. Not been in it yet myself, though (got there too late on Sunday).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Drove past it on way back from Cwm Carn today. I will investigate tomorrow when I'm sliding about the hills.

oldfart

Stuart report back with findings please .OF.

flatfish
    Free Member

i can confirm it's box from bad ass bikes, he's had to move from dundry. he lives just along the road from the new shop.

alexonabike

If it is Badass Bikes then it will be pretty decent, both MTB and road. Was recommended to me by Johns Bikes in Bath.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good location for casual shoppers. Bike City wont be pleased.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK so I went for a bimble from Burrington today and popped in the new Bad Ass Bikes shop next door to the Burrington Combe Inn:

It's in what used to be the garden centre that burned down so it's a good size, much bigger than their old place in Dundry. And they live around the corner which is a big help.

They are stocking road and mountain bikes, with mountain being the larger share. Lots of nice RAM, Intense, Litespeed and Kona. Tools, spares, clothing (they are still in the process of stocking clothing). The backbone is expected to be servicing. Rob trained under Tim Flooks and can do forks and shox. They hope to pick up a lot of trade from local riders visiting the combe which is popular with us and roadies.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

hope they have something solid under what looks like a corrugated plastic / metal roof. The old garden centre was broken into a number of times so they'll need to operate the shop on fort knox principles.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yeah I agree Farmer – it's an isolated spot.

Philby

Yes saw it on Sunday when I was doing a bit of red-socking on Blackdown. Much better site than Dundry and looks (through the window) like some good kit in stock. Will definitely visit during opening times.

alexathome
    Free Member

It's an interesting choice of location for sure, but he lives almost next door, and i'll bet overheads are good value. I used to ride up and down there all the time on my road bike, if he could do coffee and cakes too he'd be on to a winner! Good luck to him! 😀

clubber
    Free Member

Was just thinking what a perfect spot it'd be for a roadie caff.

nickegg
    Free Member

To all the Mendip locals… use Badassbikes if possible.

Rob is a top bloke, has a no bull$%^* approach and knows more than almost anyone else when it comes to forks/shocks (He also trained under Dave from Stendec/Chris Kovariks mechanic).

He's worked hard to set up the shop and deserves the success.

I drive past everyday on my commute and will now be using him for all our servicing etc.

He also has a set of Crossmax SX wheels hanging on the wall that i keep drooling over!!!!!

nickegg
    Free Member

He's got two sofa's….just needs a coffee machine!

hopster
    Free Member

I echo Nickeggs comments. Box (Rob) is a great bloke, knows his stuff and is a blindingly fast ride as well.

acjim
    Free Member

Excellent! Definately needs a cake / coffee sideline – would make it a must for post ride scoffs.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

He actually has a filter coffee machine outback. He may not thank me for saying that though!

Excellent location IMO, he can be my LBS now! Don't forget there is the Burrington Inn next door for scoffs – They're perfectly happy to accept mtb'ers since I've been riding there (10 years)

peasnotwar
    Free Member

Second that nickegg!

Box deserves our support for those very reasons….. no BS, knows his stuff, stocks the "right" stuff and nice guy (good mate)as well.

Think he'll make a killing if he advertises pre summer and Mendip gets some of the southwest investment money. Think he'll be wise to hire bikes as well (although it could do with easier access on to the hills).

Oh yes, and it's the sort of shop that is just nice to chill in…. which helps.

noteeth
    Free Member

Good stuff.

Within walking distance of the UBSS hut, several great pubs, and the earliest known cemetery in the UK. 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mendip is several pegs down the priority list for development money sadly. Its seen as too remote and to difficult for huge numbers of people.

noteeth
    Free Member

too remote and too difficult

That's why I like it…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

8)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

it's 30 mins from Bristol – how bizarre to consider it remote and difficult?

Yes I'm deffo gonna put some trade Rob's way. His wife mentioned they will do some hours on Sunday too which will be good for emergency tubes/pads/tyres.

noteeth
    Free Member

how bizarre to consider it remote and difficult?

The Hunters Lodge is the most remote and difficult place on Earth.

Joking aside, it's excellent news. Hope he gets lots of trade – he should certainly consider the tea/cake angle.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Compared to Leigh woods which is looking like a prime candidate, it is remote!

noteeth
    Free Member

I'd put any trail development funding into building some kind of massive north shore skinny over Burrington Coombe itself. Or just close the road, allow it to become heavily wooded – and then build a lush (and flood proof) stretch of singletrack, all the waaaaay down. I'd also turn Avelines Hole into a ride-in cafe.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A swoopy trail that paralleled the road all the way down would be a good start. Some drainage and armouring/shore in the usual mud-spots too. Some kitty-litter singletrack in Rowberrow. I happy with everything else, so that's it really.

You can have Aveline'e gaping, slippery hole 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

A swoopy trail that paralleled the road

Sod the road – beneath the pavement, the trail! 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

as we know, there's a swoopy trail part of the way down already. A little bit of work and a little bit of money could see it go up to the top car park easily enough.

hopster
    Free Member

Anyone heading down to the demo day at Bad ass bikes this w/e?

demo day

Going down to have a play on Sunday on a tracer.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘NEW BIKE SHOP IN MENDIP ???’ is closed to new replies.