Home Forums Chat Forum Netflix recommendations

Viewing 40 posts - 3,601 through 3,640 (of 4,132 total)
  • Netflix recommendations
  • franksinatra

Society of the Snow was excellent. One of the best films I’ve seen recently. It’s such an amazing story I was concerned they couldn’t do it justice in 2.5 hours but I neednt have been.

It was faultless to be honest, it pulled no punches with the crash, the avalanche and didn’t skate over the final act (which ‘Alive’ certainly did)

it was absolutely outstanding. I regret not watching it in the cinema. What a film.

rone

Looking forward to that.

Wonder how it differs to Alive (which was an amazing book and an okay-ish film.)

Kryton57

Fool me once on Netflix is a bit of a cliffhanger / suspense who dunnit type.  Michelle Keegans “I’ll take you down” gets a bit eye rolling but it’s ok to binge on a turbo trainer.   

toby1

Fool me once

Got through 2 episodes and walked away, terrible clunky TV. I think Coben (the writer) is the problem, he fundamentally can’t write good characters.

Found Loudermilk recently, anti-hero recovering alcoholic with a heart, but he’s a total d*ck most of the time.

desperatebicycle

Fool Me Once/Coben was discussed a bit on Page 89 of the thread[/url]

New True Detective starts on Sky tonight :D

uggski

I think I may have put this up before but “Happy” the TV series was worth watching

honourablegeorge

Fool me Once was awful, such contrived, daft nonsense

honourablegeorge

cat69uk

Fargo absolutely immense, best watch in quite a long time.

Still think Series 1 of Fargo is one of the best single series of TV ever. It’s been a bit patchy since, which is fair enough, new cast/setting/story every time, but S5 has been a return to form

toby1

Fool Me Once/Coben was discussed a bit on Page 89

Yeah, but it’s bad enough that I’ll keep going on about it ;)

desperatebicycle

Didn’t mean “STOP! talking about it!” meant you can look back at what folk thought! Anyway, came here to say the same colleague who recommended “The Stranger” has, not one half hour ago, just recommended … yep… “Fool Me Once” LoLZ. :D

fenboy

the brothers sun on Netflix is very good,

fossy

Boy Swallows Universe is worth a look.

luv2ride
    Free Member

+1 for Society of the Snow. Utterly gripping from start to finish. Intense, but quite a brilliant film. Also Fargo has been great as others have mentioned. Now for the new True Detective!

Klunk
    Free Member

hmmmm True Detective stealing from the Detectorists!

vlad_the_invader

It was faultless to be honest, it pulled no punches with the crash, the avalanche and didn’t skate over the final act (which ‘Alive’ certainly did)

Hmm. It was very good for sure but I found the last part somewhat rushed. It glossed over the immense 10 (?) day hike out and the recovery of the other survivors. How come so many civilians (+ relatives?) were present at the rescue staging point??
    It also irritated me that even though they were stranded for ~70 days, no one had a decent beard and still had perfect teeth 😉 I’m jealous they don’t need to shave. Maybe I need to move to a higher altitude..

Kuco

Just finished episode 3 of The Brothers Sun. Enjoying it so far, it doesn’t take itself too seriously and has a few laughs in it.

rascal
    Free Member

Race to the Summit – a documentary on the rivalry between 2 Alpinist climbers, Ueli Steck and Dani Arnold. A lot of subtitles but gripping (pun intended) to watch 🫣

martinhutch

True Detective feels like a US version of Fortitude, if anyone remembers that one. And there something wrong with the sound levels, Jodie Foster just sounds like she’s mumbling every line, can’t hear a bloody thing!

Should have watched Society of the Snow with subtitles, not the dubbed version. One of the voice artists not even being able to pronounce ‘Montevideo’ was a bit grating…but otherwise it was a good watch, the crash was gruesomely well done.

desperatebicycle

It also irritated me that even though they were stranded for ~70 days, no one had a decent beard

Well, you obviously were there, so know better than the film makers about the state of the survivors. But, oh look there are actual photos :P
    https://english.elpais.com/international/2022-10-14/the-andes-flight-disaster-50-years-later.html

https://www.9news.com.au/world/andes-flight-disaster-survivor-jos-luis-inciarte-recalls-horrific-72-day-ordeal-uruguayan-air-force-flight-571/f2e46b5f-edc4-4ca1-9bc5-a198abff5017

nickc

Enjoyed Society of the Snow, pretty horrific stuff those folks endured, it’s one the great survival stories. The real rescue was over a couple of days, presumably they could only take a few out at a time. Imagine being one the survivors that had to wait an extra day. That must’ve been pretty hard. 

It glossed over the immense 10 (?) day hike out 

You know they walked about 25 miles or so, right? The reason it took ten days was becasue they were just broken by that point, not becasue it was an epic distance they hiked, they managed a couple of miles each day before they had to stop. I can see why the film-makers didn’t get into it, the narrative doesn’t really need it. 

llama

I’m a Virgo (Prime): 13 foot tall teenager discovering the world. Spoiler: it’s not really about that. Something really dreamlike about it. A bit different.

Vigil 2: Who would have thought it was possible to make something stupider than Vigil 1? Still watched it all though.

desperatebicycle

not the dubbed version

Dubs never work for me. The acting just sounds off.

Kryton57

Well I started watching Fargo S1 – for the first time – during my lunch break, then I watched another….

See you in about 6 months while I catch up.

sadexpunk

we’ve just enjoyed streaming Truelove on ch4.

group of old friends planning assisted suicides for when they get too ill to enjoy life.

2bit

Not seen it mentioned yet but Nimona on Netflix is great.

Animation based on graphic novel set in a future medieval world. Funny, beautiful, emotional, great action & v v watchable.

The Forbes Reacher review upthread is spot on. S2 is disappointing on almost every level. So many ‘ why did he/she/they do/say that’ moments. Mostly from the good guys

Finished watching Ragnarok last night & the final episode is proper WTAF. If anyone is watching it just don’t watch the final episode – stop. Can’t believe they did that after 3 seasons…

rascal
    Free Member

Society of the Snow – epic! Really brings the horror of what they went through across in a powerful way. Gripping all the way through – as mentioned above – the families being present when they got off the choppers was unlikely surely…

richardkennerley

Not going to say what show to avoid spoilers, but if you’ve seen it you’ll know. Use of YMCA was excellent, made me chuckle 😜

ready

Watched Society of the Snow last night.  Very very good, but agree with Vlad – the final bit did feel a bit rushed.  Some excellent cinematography too

chakaping

I’m a Virgo (Prime): 13 foot tall teenager discovering the world. Spoiler: it’s not really about that. Something really dreamlike about it. A bit different.

I started it then forgot to pick up again, will give it another go.

Have you seen the film Sorry to Bother You, from the same guy? That is incredible and also pretty out there.

fazzini

New True Detective starts on Sky tonight

I was sick of the incessant ads for this during NFL coverage; so I looked on the Virgin Box sets thingamajig and, lo and behold, there’s the previous 3 seasons…started last night – and this morning about to finish Season 1. please don’t tell my boss 😳

ossify

Not going to say what show to avoid spoilers, but if you’ve seen it you’ll know. Use of YMCA was excellent, made me chuckle

Very helpful on a “recommendations” thread, thanks 😉

susepic

Lincoln Lawyer isn’t bad for turbo distractions

desperatebicycle

I might actually watch my first film on Disney+ later. I got the sub free from my bank and haven’t seen a single thing to watch on there. But The Creator is up from today, so will give that a go.

desperatebicycle

Use of YMCA

Fargo then. Can’t see any spoilerage from that info

johnx2
    Free Member

Disney+?? Loads on this thread.

Atlanta (unmitigated recommendation); The Bear (v good but less good than people say); Dave (divides opinion. Good in parts); Only Murders in the Building (I like it); Reservation Dogs (good).

I lack the commitment to watch actual films.

timmys

Yeah, loads of very good stuff on Disney even if you ignore Star Wars / Marvel / Pixar. In addition to the above there’s;

– A Murder at the end of the world

– What we do in the shadows (a series ahead of BBC and in 4k/HDR)

– The Dropout

– Welcome to Wrexham

johnx2
    Free Member

even if you ignore Star Wars / Marvel / Pixar. 

I do my best 

desperatebicycle

The Bear : tried an episode but found the characters far too irritating to spend time with
    Dave : watched on normal telly and enjoyed;
    Only Murders in the Building : couldn’t stand Selena Gomez’s voice for more than 2 episodes;
    Reservation Dogs : Already watching off a downloads – excellent

– The Dropout

– Welcome to Wrexham

Not aware of those, so will give a go. Cheers :)

twistedpencil

Disney+ Justified, I’m working my through the older series again before watching City Primeval.   Also What We Do In The Shadows all five seasons.

And lastly, Gravity Falls, seriously it’s great :-)

johnx2
    Free Member

Atlanta is a must watch. One of the best things on telly ever.

The Bear : tried an episode but found the characters far too irritating to spend time with

I liked them less when they started to learn, grow, hug etc. But there’s good stuff in there honest.

Dave new series is disney only. But I’ve kind of wandered off.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,601 through 3,640 (of 4,132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.