Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 300 total)
  • Nasty Tories at it again
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They might not, true.

Work is merely a starting point – well that’s not true, education is the starting point. The JRF sums it up well

Katie Schmuecker from JRF said: “Work is the best route to economic security and a better standard of living and we welcome record levels of employment. But, as well as more jobs, we need better jobs so all families can benefit from economic growth. Despite working full time hours, more families are still falling short of what they need to make ends meet. We need the state and business to ensure people in work can achieve economy and security.

The ends are agreed, if not the means. Personally, I think relying on the state to provide the answers is a long shot. It (here and elsewhere) has preferred the long established supposed-panacea of benefits as a band-aid to address the symptoms rather than addressing the root causes.

fin25
    Free Member

There’s little there I can disagree with.

ulysse
    Free Member

But until employers and corporate types step up to the plate and pay a living wage, on the 4th of Never as that will hurt the shareholder dividend i’ll add

Until the Rentier classes stop seeing any steps towards the above being an excuse to increase profit

Until workers and unemployed workers realise their true power, unite, organise and form the ability to bring change or even ruination to the above by simply downing tools or civil disobedience en masse

Until all of the above realise there will always be an element of society unable to participate in paid employment for a host of reasons, and this group will need subsidy from all of us who are able. And lets stop this lie that there are elements of this group who are feckless, idle, bring nothing to the table of society.
    EVERYBODY contributes in some way, The gutter press go out of their way to find the fraction of a percent who by some misdeed on that partcular week seem on the face of things to prove otherwise.

Until that day, we need enlightened government legislature to protect the weak, to cap the runaway greed, and yes make sure that employment is always better than a life on benefits.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ulysee – how about until people stop distorting reality, debate and progress becomes impossible.

Coyote
    Free Member

Indeed, how about people stop distorting reality…

chakaping
    Free Member

Finally, something we can all agree on.

😆

ulysse
    Free Member

Absolutely, thm

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

how about until people stop distorting reality

But so many of them have direct and indirect vested interests not to mention petty jealously, pleasure from other peoples suffering, keeping up appearances and onupmanship to make sure that day never comes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

pleasure from other peoples suffering,

Really ? 😐

Rockape63
    Free Member

Really?

Don’t panic, it’s only Chester and he has previous on these threads!

jambalaya
    Free Member

OK 😐

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Fraid so jamba. Pissing on other peoples chips is a hobby to some.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Playing the ball or the man ?”

“Unless its ‘fred’ used in the parlance of bikesnob.nyc?”

I’m curious as to why both THM and Binners have been using ‘Fred’ in response to my posts. I’m assuming this may be some sort of forum ‘in-joke’, with which I am not familiar. It definitely seems to be some sort of personal jibe directed against me. Which I find somewhat disappointing; I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, but resorting to personal digs just shows up the weakness of your own argument, position and character.

Having read up on the bike snob nyc definition, I am still none the wiser. I really don’t think that applies to me!

” how about until people stop distorting reality, debate and progress becomes impossible.”

How about that?

“I’d bet that if that person actually went and spent some time with people in a homeless persons hostel, soup kitchen, mental health ward, walked the streets taking the time to get to get to know the lives and back stories of these people they have an opinion on, said opinion would change and you’d realise life is shit out there for many many people (which is unacceptable in a country with so much money)…and a lot of it is because of issues that are out of their control.”

Very well said. It’s hard to distort reality when you’ve seen it up close and personal.

As for ‘work is the best route to economic security’, well, how d’you explain the rising numbers of families in work, but needing to claim benefits? It’s not the work itself that is the key to economic emancipation, it’s the opportunities for progression through employment, individual development and a recognition of the value of that individual, that is one of the best routes to economic security. Increasing numbers of jobs are lower and lower skilled, there is very little if any opportunity for progression with many jobs, meaning that someone can be stuck on shit wages for ever, and never get out of the poverty trap. People with years of service can end up being made redundant, as companies simply don’t want to increase their wages in line with the number of years they’ve put in, and can simply replace them with another younger person on minimum wage. If there is no development for the individual, they stagnate and cannot move upwards.

“pleasure from other peoples suffering”

“Really ?”[/quote]

Really. See Phillip Green. Etc.

“work is the best route to economic security”

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So we have now gone from positive economic data on the UK labour market to Aushwitz!

And in only four pages – amazing.

jimdubleyou

And in only four pages – amazing.

Just last year, it would have taken ten pages and a couple of flounces.

You can’t stop progress.

ninfan
    Free Member

kimbers

i blame the tories

no really!!

their last conference was so jammed with ‘nazi lite’ soundbites that godwin is smashed

Out]r economy has changed there has been a loss of high skilled manufacturing jobs

replaced with; low paid service industry, the 0 hrs uberfication, huge rise in ‘self-employment’
    -a low wage economy that belies the unemployment figures and do trap many people.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I see the usual tory supporting suspects are unable to engage in any meaningful debate once more.

Nazis? Here you go:

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-amber-rudds-speech-echoes-mein-kampf/

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perhaps they are trying to match your level of debate – its hard to know where to pitch it at the moment?

Coyote
    Free Member

replaced with; low paid service industry, the 0 hrs uberfication, huge rise in ‘self-employment’
    -a low wage economy that belies the unemployment figures and do trap many people.

This. However as long as the proles are occupied in low asperational employment the likes of ninfan and thm will happily accept any positive propoganda fed to them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Coyote – before putting words into peoples’ mouth perhaps you could check what they post. For starters try my quote from the JRF. It might help.

Work is merely a starting point – well that’s not true, education is the starting point. The JRF sums it up well

Katie Schmuecker from JRF said: “Work is the best route to economic security and a better standard of living and we welcome record levels of employment. But, as well as more jobs, we need better jobs so all families can benefit from economic growth. Despite working full time hours, more families are still falling short of what they need to make ends meet. We need the state and business to ensure people in work can achieve economy and security.

HTH

fin25
    Free Member

Wow, this really got out of hand, didn’t it?

Look, lets go back to the OP. This demonisation of the poor and promotion of low skilled service jobs is not about nasty Tories. This has been a consensus since the early 80’s. Yes, Labour threw a load of money at poor people to put a plaster over working poverty, but did nothing to tackle the root causes.

The zero hours contract thing. My wife is a regional manager for a large care provider. Without zero hours contracts half of her care services would not be able to operate. Believe it or not, some people like the flexibility of a zero hours contract. I agree, they are massively overused, have been used to manipulate unemployment figures and have allowed certain large organisations to “cheat” the employment system to some degree. But to ban them outright would do great damage to certain areas and is not going to solve the problem.

But as usual, people want to reduce everything down to simple explanations and find easy things to blame. Be that nasty Tories or spendy Labour.

This polarisation and entrenchment needs to stop, it is masking the fact that the people at the top never change no matter who we put in “power”, why do you think that is?
    Is is because our tribal identities are based on falsehoods? A deception by those in power to give us the illusion of participation while they keep all the money for themselves.

Yes, there is good news in the fact that more people have jobs than last month, but we also need to look deeper into those numbers and appreciate that there are millions of people not benefiting from being in work and that the success of a society should be measured by more than a simple set of figures manipulated to suit the needs of those in power, whoever they are.

I think we’re a long way from Auschwitz, that is a ridiculous analogy, but it does make sure that your “enemies” are suitably dehumanised. Do you not see how your use of such imagery is quite ironic?

Coyote
    Free Member

I think we’re a long way from Auschwitz, that is a ridiculous analogy

I think that it is a tongue in cheek reference to the constant “work is the best way out of poverty” (which no one can disagree with) and “work sets you free”.

Celebrating the creation of low aspirational jobs whilst doing nothing to create career opportunities for the masses is a little hollow.

kimbers

Labour threw a load of money at poor people to put a plaster over working poverty, but did nothing to tackle the root causes

kinda true

Sure Start, whilst being very expensive actually had some positive results for families with often very poor chances

agreed that the low wage job expansion has been a feature of every government fr the last 30 odd years

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Celebrating the creation of low aspirational jobs whilst doing nothing to create career opportunities for the masses is a little hollow.

who is doing that?

fin25
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, Kimbers, things like sure start were a bloody great idea, but without wider reforms of the labour market, were unable to be anything more that a plaster. Rather than giving people the confidence, opportunity and optimism to build a better future as part of a comprehensive and holistic package of anti-poverty and labour measures, they just became one more thing to keep the poor artificially suspended above the worst poverty, creating a dependence at odds with people’s wider needs, ultimately feeding the idea in government and wider society that the poor are an expense rather than a potential asset.

fin25
    Free Member

Coyote, there’s nothing “tongue in cheek” about such imagery. If people are prepared to use such strong imagery to score points in a discussion then they should be prepared for the inevitable reaction of people to such strong imagery.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Clodhopper, to elucidate on ‘Fred’
    – sorry my bikesnob.nyc idea was a bit of a diversion/red herring (he uses the word Fred’s to describe ‘entryists’ to road cycling with more money than ‘grit’ much like people in the U.K. derided for getting all competitive at sportives)

-when thm addresses you as Fred it is with reference to a former stw-er who has been banned many times and popped up again under various logins, and so it has become a bit of a sport on here spotting him, often with people simply addressing the suspect poster as Fred as freddibnah was one of his old old logins (which I think even predates thm’s time here) He was controversial and argumentative in style often more for his own (and others’!) amusement and also mostly lefty in his views- in many way the opposite of ninfan who is also on his umpteenth )voluntary not banned) login and argues a point for fun but manages not to bother the moderators at all with this) I am sure I remember ‘Fred’ (well it would have been a different login by then) giving thm a hard time and perhaps that’s why he in particular has addressed you in this way.
    -so assuming it’s not you as I am sure it isn’t, take the ‘fred’ as an observation that your arguing style is creating a disturbance in The Force. 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

clodhopper
    Free Member

“who is doing that?”

The tories.

“But, as well as more jobs, we need better jobs so all families can benefit from economic growth. Despite working full time hours, more families are still falling short of what they need to make ends meet. We need the state and business to ensure people in work can achieve economy and security.”

Please explain what the current government are doing in order to create better opportunities for all.

“take the ‘fred’ as an observation that your arguing style is creating a disturbance in The Force. “

Perhaps I should take this as a compliment, then? Thanks for the explanation. It was certainly perplexing me. The bikesnob thing really had me confused.

I only really joined this forum to get some ‘advice’ on buying a new bike. 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Did you miss the OP clod?

Step away from the twigs so that you can see the woods….it might help

But its companies not governments that are driving much of the improvement directly. Public sector employment is on a down trend.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I only really joined this forum to get some ‘advice’ on buying a new bike.

Well its opened a whole new world for you then! 🙂 Bet you’ve not been back to the Bike Forum since?

Cougar

-when thm addresses you as Fred it is with reference to a former stw-er who has been banned many times and popped up again under various logins,

Such as the one you’re currently using, as well you know. I really must get around to doing something about that.

Coyote
    Free Member

Public sector employment is on a down trend.

Er… Don’t you mean being slashed as part of the conservative ideology? “Down trend”! 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

is there something in the name ideallogy?

interesting choice of phrase – do you work for them?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Cougar: If that’s the case it’s like he is getting someone to ghost-write a whole new set of interests and indeed a whole new posting/writing style. Previous Freds were apparent from the first couple of threads by their way with words and ‘style’- as were subsequent incarnations of GW, glupton and labrat for that matter. I am sure you have some IT skillz and IP address stuff to back up your suspicions, but for me the difference between old Freds and this one is quite remarkable.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Everytime I hear people talking about “work setting you free” etc.. I just keep wondering what are we going to do when we run out of work??

I know automation has been going on since, well, forever, but it’s pace is increasing more and more quickly.

Workers in Amazon delivery centres etc are pretty much taking orders from a computer algorithm now, and they’ve only got jobs because they are cheaper than a robot and how many people’s jobs will be replaced when with autonomous cars?

I think Ocado is aiming for an entirely autonomous distribution centre, where goods will then be loaded onto autonomous delivery vehicles.

It’ll be like hitting “pause” on the current wealth distribution.

fin25
    Free Member

Everytime I hear people talking about “work setting you free” etc.. I just keep wondering what are we going to do when we run out of work??

Because of this very issue, more and more people from all sides of the political spectrum are starting to take the idea of a basic income guarantee rather seriously.

Cougar

for me the difference between old Freds and this one is quite remarkable.

In so far as this one is unique in not being a weapons-grade pain in the ass, I agree.

Here’s a random example. We have many more but I’m obviously not going to show my hand. Compare and contrast these two posts.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rip-howard-marks/page/2?view=all#post-7631881

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-on-here-tried-heroine/page/4?view=all#post-2364091

jimdubleyou

all sides of the political spectrum are starting to take the idea of a basic income guarantee rather seriously.

I’d vote for that, but whatever government managed to implement it would **** it up somehow.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 300 total)

The topic ‘Nasty Tories at it again’ is closed to new replies.