Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Name That Trail!?!?!
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

Amongst all this bickering and bantering, no-one’s pointed out the inherent daft-ness in giving names to bits of path in the woods. Does it actually matter what they’re supposedly called?!

😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Does it actually matter what they’re supposedly called?!

Which bit shall we ride next?

That one with the trees. You know, with the bit that goes left a bit, then down a bit. Oh, come on, you know the one, surely? That one after the other one, down there by that one that’s not the one we’re talking about.

crazy-legs

Does it actually matter what they’re supposedly called?!

I’ve ridden trails in Hebden Bridge with various different groups of riders over the years with the same trail having three different names depending on the group. Same at Swinley Forest and I imagine pretty much any other high profile riding spot. Riding groups may not mix much for whatever reason so one club/group of mates may never hear any alternative names that another club have applied to that trail.

scaredypants

So what you’re saying is unless we post up the locations of all the cheeky trails on the net you will get your mates together hammering around the bridleways, mowing down walkers and startling horses?

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. A direct threat. We’re packing already so get the map posted.

Or, riders who think they’re in the cool kids gang could stop crapping on about their “special secret trails” and how great they are and giving obtuse hints to each other about location but then getting all precious about them when anyone else shows an interest.

(OK I admit it, I’m not coming to look for the magic trails but I suspect others have, and will continue to do so while there’s a half-arsed “mystique” built up around the place)

v666ern
    Free Member

Or, riders who think they’re in the cool kids gang could stop crapping on about their “special secret trails” and how great they are and giving obtuse hints to each other about location but then getting all precious about them when anyone else shows an interest.

(OK I admit it, I’m not coming to look for the magic trails but I suspect others have, and will continue to do so while there’s a half-arsed “mystique” built up around the place)

THIS, MANY TIMES +1

ejustice
    Free Member

Noone seems to mind that Redlands actually printed and sold maps of trails available through the web yet a scratchy little drawing that quite frankly, unless you know the area means nothing, causes such a hailing of abuse?
    All I asked was for a suggestion to the most commonly known names for these 4/5 trails. I don’t need directions, I know where all of the trails are including some lesser known and more fun than these. so as previously mentioned it allows us to talk about a days riding over a beer and not sit there getting all mixed up.
    If I say Yoghurts or BKB, everyone immediately knows what I’m on about and if decided will know where we are going next. Would just be nice to do the same for some of the more well known trails on Pitch – that is all. Ok Rant over.

So here’s my guess:
    Blue = T2 – into – Graveyard
    Red = T1
    Yellow = no idea so I’m naming this “My Big Fat Gypsy Trail”
    Green = We call this ‘Pod Drop’ because a mate called Pod had a nasty Drop at the end of it when it was cliffed out before it eroded away as it is now.
    Orange = I think this is the start to T1? – Currently trashed due to forest management.
    I couldn’t care less if I’m giving the game away. If more people ride these during the summer months then they will only get faster and smoother.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Yellow is Rad lane if your from the old school, or proper bo

red right is T1.5

why anyone rides the T trails I have no idea. badly built, flat, water logged

Green is fairly new. not sure what this one is called. I kind of follows parts of the old one known as Joes trail.

Pitch Hill is hardly a secret….

krixmeister

Forget the argument re posting cheeky trails or not (I’m against it FWIW) – I’m just loving the apropos legitimate mapped place names in the area – Riding Copse, Walking Bottom, Hurt Wood, and what is misread as Lawbroke Lane but turned out to be Lawbrook Lane.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Krixmeister +1 !!

FRN – that’s interesting naming and shows how little I know. I always thought T trails were created by linked Green (currently trashed), yellow (staying high) and then blue with Graveyard literally being the drop into WBCP. I quite like the bottom of this version of Green as opposed to linking in with yellow. If the red is T-trails, then I agree, nice enough but too flat and not as good as the others shown here. But the best “well-known” trail of the all is not shown. Best kept that way??? A local showed it to me this week and I will do the same!

Pity the Forest Road up from WBCP is such a mess!!

ejustice
    Free Member

Pity the Forest Road up from WBCP is such a mess!!

Looks like the ranger has been up there in a Monster truck?

bentudder

ejustice – Member
    Noone seems to mind that Redlands actually printed and sold maps of trails available through the web yet a scratchy little drawing that quite frankly, unless you know the area means nothing, causes such a hailing of abuse?

Speaking as one of the bods behind Redlands Trails, I can say we never, *ever* did that. If someone was selling maps on behalf of Redlands Trails, they certainly never gave us any money, or asked our permission. Can you tell me where you saw that, please, ejustice?

Incidentally, Forestry recently replaced the signposts for one of the trails we helped build – Summer Lightning.

nealglover – Member
    Please bear in mind that online chat about the trails here, and word-of-mouth, has caused a huge increase in mountain biker numbers over the last fifteen years. It’s a cause of some friction, and as mentioned, sometimes there’s a fair amount of heat. So please, keep it quiet.

So it’s more about not letting other Mountain bikers know then.

And not much to do with not letting “anti mountainbike” folk find out.

Just so it’s clear.

Well, apart from the paragraph immediately following that, which simply suggests being a bit more discrete. Do try reading before commenting, sweetie:

If you want to find out the names of trails, ask people in the ground when you bump into them – fair to say that local riders are a pretty friendly bunch, and it never hurts to strike up a conversation with other people on the hill – whatever they’re using to get around.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Name That Trail!?!?!’ is closed to new replies.