Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • My tyre liner experiment-results so far!!
  • concretej
    Free Member

After using a Mr Tuffy liner some 20yrs ago with bad results, i decided to give it another go after having an idea.
    This time im’ reversing the insertion of the liner in the tyre by going against the coil shape it’s packaged in.The liner is a Decathlon own brand, so im not sure if other brands have addressed the problems i’ve found.

The reason for reversing is i believe the edges of the liner will now point away from the inner tube and not self punture.

A month inside my road wheels I finally had a slow flat. On inspection, i found it was not the long edges which caused a puncture but the overlap which I tried to file smooth. The tube showed no signs of being ruptured by the long edges of the liner, but left a light print to show where it was settled. I will now try to burn the overlap to a smooth melted edge or find a suitable rubber to go over the overlap,possibly two cut pieces of innertube to at least delay this affect.

cinnamon_girl

Easier to use Panaracer Flataways surely? I’ve used them in both mtb and road wheels.

hs125
    Free Member

I used to use Tuffy Tape many years ago. The only problem I ever had were sidewall punctures every so often. I’d never consider using it today though, as I would have thought Stan’s fluid or puncture resistant tyres have made it redundant, and both are less faff.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘My tyre liner experiment-results so far!!’ is closed to new replies.