• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by tang.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • My SPD shoes keep breaking, what shoes should I get next?
  • james
    Free Member

Always bought specialized, as I fit their size 48, which afaik means I won’t fit shimano 48’s

The soles keep snapping, about an inch behind the SPD cleat
    One of them does, I not checked if its always been the same foot.

Sports lasted just over a year, didn’t realise the warranty was 2 years and not 1
    BG Trail 110 lasted 3weeks
    Expert’s lasted about 1.5years. Replacements still going, though uppers looking tatty, albeit I don’t use them all that much nowadays
    Tahoe (outgoing model) lasted about 1.5years, and another 2 sets about 1 year each

Getting those in warranty replaced has been no trouble (evans, EBC) but can’t help thinking I should consider something else?

– To replace my Tahoes, I’m after something that I can also walk in with a half decent tread on it. More recent version of the Shimano DX with its waffle sole is too useless for me for eg

– On paper Specialized’s newer Tahoe Sport with the stiffened mid-sole (my old Tahoes were a bit flexy even on M530’s) would fit the bill, though RRP of £80 and Im struggling to even find 10% off online isn’t cheap if they’re going to break

– Specialized Rime looks nice but £140 Is probably too steep. Especially as I splashed out on defrosters this last winter

rickmeister

Sidi’s that I’m using appear to be almost indestructable, I changed from Spesh shoes as I thought they wore out quickly..

xanboy
    Free Member

Shimano go up to size 50 in a few models?

Edric64
    Free Member

Shimano do a 52 in some as well

james
    Free Member

I thought the specialized range was tricky to decifer. The shimano range has me positively baffled. All I know is the AM45 is out on grounds of the waffle type sole
    Not many sizes listed either (on shimano Europe site, cant see a UK one?)

Are all SIDI’s ‘race’ style shoes?
    I see some have the option to fit toe spikes presumably for CX use, anyone know if like Specialized Experts they have a flexible toe part of the sole?

MSP

Specialized size up no bigger than shimano. I am always amazed when it gets repeated so often on shoe threads.

Rimes are good, but a little heavy and I don’t think the boa offers anything a velcro strap wouldn’t have.

I don’t understand how you are breaking your shoes the way you are, it does suggest there is something wrong with something you are doing. Maybe a more expensive stiffer shoe will help, unless your doing lots of hike a bike. It could be spending more money on a good shoe will save money not having to keep replacing them.

Toasty

Specialized size up no bigger than shimano. I am always amazed when it gets repeated so often on shoe threads.

Are you saying this from the experience of wearing both brands at the top end of the scale? I wear Specialized 48s as well and have never managed to get into a pair of Shimanos, I even bought a pair hoping that they’d mysteriously grow, it didn’t happen.

Generally getting 1-2 years out of Specializeds, the straps always end up dying. The new 2012 ones seem much softer than the older style ones sadly.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Something by Sidi. Bombproof. Mine are 7yrs old and have been used a hell of a lot. Probably still got another 7 years left in them if not longer.

james
    Free Member

“Maybe a more expensive stiffer shoe will help, unless your doing lots of hike a bike”
    I broke a set of carbon soled experts in 1.5years. Got them as warranty replacements for bg trail 110’s as they’d no stock left. Nice shoes but not ideal when the cleat and part of the shoe sole stayed clipped into the pedal and I had a hole in the bottom of the shoe …

Not loads of hike a bike, but enough that some tread is worthwhile
    When I hike a biked with sports/bg trails/experts I found on top of it being harder to walk, the hard nylon? tread wore down quite quickly compared to rubber? soled tahoes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was averaging a year from my spec shoes, that was with weekly riding and lots of hike a bike though, was happy enough with that really. The length of ownership is not that important it’s how much and the way you use them.

I pulled the sole off a Sidi shoe in less than a year.
    Bought some cheap (£22 or so, I think)Muddy Fox shoes from Sports Direct and they seem to be doing OK so far.

xanboy
    Free Member

Look on Madison.co.uk for Shimano shoes, they are the uk importer

scotroutes

Perhaps it gets repeated so often because that’s the experience of many buyers/users (including myself). I find Shimano shoes narrower for their length and it’s the width that makes me go up a size.

tang
    Free Member

Pearl izumi x project look great. I’m going to get some for my teaching as I’m off/on all day and walking.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘My SPD shoes keep breaking, what shoes should I get next?’ is closed to new replies.