• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • My neck hurts…. What to do?
  • alpin
    Free Member

Had a stupid off yesterday.

Rode the last section of trail and was expecting a drop into/over a rock garden, but the section had been worked on (flattened). This threw me a bit and I lost concentration, took the wrong line into a corner and snagged a tree with my left hand which threw me to the ground. Fortunately I was wearing a FF; for a bit of a NT on the side…. Can see with Strava that I was doing about 30kmh at the time…. My habe hurt like buggery at the me, but it’s fine now.

My neck on the other hand hurts. Can’t easily turn my head to the right. Thought of going to a sauna today, but no public sauna/terme in Finale….

garage-dweller

Ouch. I can twang my neck quite easily so sympathise.

I try to stay moving but keep the load off it, so no riding or heavy lifting.

alric
    Free Member

ibuprofen and keep stretching it, the doc told me after I fell on mine.
    Keeps the swelling down, and stretching up down,sideways, to and fro, etc to keep it from seizing up
    Not so it hurts though

alpin
    Free Member

Right, Farmacia tomorrow then…

Oh, and “found a bit of a dent” rather than “blah blah NT”

thegreatape
    Free Member

I know a few people who self medicate with cannabis for neck and back pain, so that’s something to consider.

alpin
    Free Member

👍 I’ll bear that in mind, cheers!

DezB
    Free Member

Last time I thought I’d ‘hurt my neck’, turned out to be a fractured vertebra. So if the stiffness doesn’t ease, you might wanna get it checked out!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Ideally go see a physio, Osteopath or Chiropractor, expect to spend £50 for the first session.

Voltarol is great for pain relief, also a cold spray or Biofreeze gel.

Check the packet for voltarol as it can upset the stomach and it doesn’t play well with some other forms of pain relief.

Cold pack on and off every ten mins for an hour will help.

lardman
    Free Member

As DezB mentions above…..

Last trip my friend did with me to Afan, he took a little stack and twisted his neck a bit. Helmet showed a very small dent but nothing much at all. After 5 weeks of doctors prescribing Anti-Inflams, he went private for a neck scan as he was convinced something was not right. Fractured vertebrae shows up, and he’s now properly sorted things and is on the mend.

Listen to your body, not a GP….. or even an internet forum// : – )

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Chiropractor

go see one of these if you’re open to the possibility that he will try and rip you off, probably taking an x-ray first and then telling you that it shows lots of problems and you should sign up for a course of treatment, each of which will only last 10 or 15 minutes, and then at the end of the course, when there will be little improvement, he will encourage you to sign up for another course.

Don’t overdo the ibuprofen.

If you have one of those microwavable heat thingies you can put that on your neck.

Most of the time the pain is muscle spasm, so if you can relax those muscles the pain will subside.

You can also search around your neck for sore points and if you find one then firmly massage it out.

If it doesn’t go then consider a good, recommended, osteopath of the type that does massage as part of the treatment.

Or a doctor I suppose but don’t accept advise to take weeks and weeks of anti-inflamatories, as they can have side effects on your stomach.

Incidently – tumeric is an anti-inflamatory with the main side effect being possible wind…

catfood
    Free Member

I had this once after landing on my head after an off, two months later it was still the same, couldn’t turn my head to the right, went to the docs and he said they could offer some physio to strengthen the other side of the neck, total waste of time.

I went to a chiro who gave it a little twist and fixed it instantly, apparently I had spun one of my vertibrae round a bit.

Just so you know, in case it doesn’t get better in a hurry.

verses

DezB took the words out of my mouth.

I had an embarrassingly small off, landed wrong and my neck was sore and I couldn’t turn my head. After a bit of persuasion I decided to sit in A&E for 4 hours. Glad I did as I’d fractured my C2 vertebra! Ended up with a halo brace screwed into my head for 3 months, but 2 years on it’s healed well.

alpin
    Free Member

“turned out to be a fractured vertebra”

Hopefully not that..! Pain is more under the left jaw. Think I’ve stretched the ligament /tendon.

Also woke this morning with an almighty pain in my gut. Think I’ve bruised a couple of ribs,too.

#shithappens
    #partofthegame

ta11pau1

It may be just a pulled neck muscle, these can still take a couple of weeks to heal. See if you can move/tilt your head in certain directions, typically one or 2 directions will cause the pain, others will be fine.

You have a big neck muscle going from under your jaw to your collarbone and your traps go right up to the base of your skull, if it’s a pulled muscle you’ll feel the numbness/pain there too. I’ve had a pulled neck muscle a couple of times in the past 9 months and it’s not fun, mine was the left side – turning my head left and down was fine but turning right or straight up was very painful.

When I went to my GP it took him about 30 seconds to diagnose – look left, look right ‘ouch’ – yep that’s a pulled neck muscle.

alpin
    Free Member

Tall Paul…. You’ve just described exactly what I’m experiencing…. Guess it’s the Sternal head muscle that I’ve pulled.

Cheers…!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘My neck hurts…. What to do?’ is closed to new replies.