• This topic has 86 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • My mate brought one of these to the pub last night…
  • retro83
    Free Member

hora – Member

I’m a petrolhead and whilst I was waiting for the pic to load I read the text and thought……ooo what can it be. It appeared and I thought ‘Jaguar’. Right.

Not a fan at all.

Indeed, but I bet that supercharged v8 sounds amazing.

hora
    Free Member

Agree. Even a Vectra V6 occasionally passing by sounds lush 😀

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Was in a jag showroom yesterday, couple of stunning XKRs in there. And even the model above (XF???) looks better in the metal.
    Unfortunately I would need a serious lottery wijn before I would even have to seriously consider the environmental impact of owning one!!!

mogrim

I’m sure it’s great fun to drive, and it’s a lot better than my 5yr old Renault, but for that kind of cash I’d want something a bit more special, it really does look like another Mondeo / Passat / A4 / BMW 5 series clone.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

I imagine the marketing/design team were thinking of rich successful types who wanted a grandtourer or expression of hypothetical dick-length.

In reality its probably a Exec-level leasing/company car scheme-thing.

Doubt they’ll make many.

Which haven’t got half the room, only have 2 seats and aren’t exactly ideal for ferrying clients round in FunkyDunc.

Anyway – read my first post. He hasn’t bought it, he borrowed it for the day – he has the diesel version on lease.

hora
    Free Member

Whats the diesel engine based on again? 😈

oldgrump08
    Free Member

hora – so you’ve got it in for jag…..

I’m sure you’ll tell me it’s a Ford Duratorq hora, which are actually damned good engines.

Not sure if the current 270bhp 3.0l V6 is though…

hora
    Free Member

No I haven’t got it in for them, the brand just doesn’t do it for me at all. I’m not a Merc ‘fan’ but it has heritage/basis to grow further from.

Jag has a dodgy getaway car of choice and one fine racing car in its pedigree IMO.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Fast cars are fun. Big fast family cars are really fun and great for scaring loads of passengers. I’d have an RS6 avant over that Jag but still appreciate it. Rumbe rumble

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I don’t think you have to drive ‘fast’ to enjoy that power, just think of all those sunday drivers and caravans you could over take….

hora
    Free Member

For 70k I’d have a porsche cayman, keep the change and passengers could do one.. 😀

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Surely a better Porsche to be had for 70k than a cayman??? 😉

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Jackass, you are so right. There’s no legal acceleration limit.

Hora, I think most people with big 70k cars also have a cheaper fun run around for the twisties too. The Jag (or RS6, C63 etc) would eat a cayman s alive in a straight line anyway.

I did actually get pulled by the rozzers once when I was a boy racer – for accelerating too fast.

Obviously they couldn’t pin owt on me and were just on their usual ‘we’ve not pulled STR over for a few days regime’, but that was their reason nontheless.

hora
    Free Member

Leggy agree about straight line but then I’d have a Elise and a Caterham 500R in the garage as well…

There are more expensive Porsche’s for 70k.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

STR, you are ali g and I claim my £5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbLLneR-Umw

boblo
    Free Member

I’d have one, it’s luverly…. probably an ex demo though. Trouble is, I have no self control and don’t want to learn to eat porridge/pick up soap.

Oh, and BTW, just a word or warning… Surf Mat’s on his way now a car thread has started.. prepare to hide…

Spud

70k would see me having an E63 AMG estate.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Oooh AMG…….

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’m not a Merc ‘fan’ but it has heritage/basis to grow further from.

And some unfortunate Nazi connections to distance itself from.

Jaguar as a brand have been going since the 1930’s when they were SS. Which they had to change due to connotations of Nazi’s again. I think the XF is a great looking car, but it pales next to the new XJ, now that is glorious.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

D, S and E types not bad if you’re looking for ‘heritage’

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

It’s a shame there are so many miserable people on this thread, to read some of the posts it sounds like 57 penguins are shot and three acres of rain forest are destroyed when one is built.

I’d love to take one for a test drive, doubt I’d ever be able to afford to run one let alone buy one though.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

My economics teacher has one of those.

ps44
    Free Member

Hehe. You wait until you see what we have in the studio. 😀

And the new L538/Evoque is looking very sharp without the camouflage paint.

CountZero

No I haven’t got it in for them, the brand just doesn’t do it for me at all. I’m not a Merc ‘fan’ but it has heritage/basis to grow further from.
    Jag has a dodgy getaway car of choice and one fine racing car in its pedigree IMO.

Just where did you get that load of bogus crap from?

Jaguar made its name by producing a series of extremely eye-catching sports cars, in the XK 120 of 1949, developed into XK 140 and XK 150, and the E Type (or XKE in the US) of 1961. These were all successful and embodied Lyons’ mantra of ‘value for money’. They were also highly successful on the international stage of motorsport, a path followed in the 1950s to prove the engineering integrity of the company’s products.

Jaguar’s sales slogan for years was “Grace, Space, Pace”: a mantra epitomised by the record sales achieved by the MK VII, IX, Mks I and II saloons and later the XJ6.

The core of Bill Lyon’s post World War II success was the Twin Cam Straight Six Cylinder Engine—a design conceived pre-war and realised while design staff at the Coventry plant were dividing their time between fire-watching (Coventry being a main industrial centre was a prime target for the Luftwaffe) and designing the new power plant.

To place this in focus, pre-war, a benchmark for racing and competition engines was the “Double Knocker”, or Twin Cam engine: Jag’s new engine was a hemispherical cross-flow cylinder head with valves inclined originally at 60 Degrees (Inlet) 45 Degrees (Exhaust) and later standardised to 90 Degrees for both Inlet and Exhaust.

As octane ratings of fuel were relatively low from 1948 onwards, three different pistons configurations were offered: Domed (High Octane) Flat (Medium Octane) and Dished (Low Octane).

The main designer, William “Bill” Heynes, ably assisted by Walter “Wally” Hassan was determined to design the Twin OHC unit. Bill Lyons agreed over misgivings from Hassan. The sheer concept of applying what had hitherto been considered a racing or low-volume and cantankerous engine, needing constant fettling into reasonable volume production everyday saloon cars was brave.

And simultaneously, brilliantly inspired.

And the subsequent engine was the mainstay powerplant of Jaguar, used in the revolutionary XK 120, Mk VII Saloon, Mk I and II Saloons and XK 140 and I50 as well as the stunning E Type, itself a development from the race winning and Le Mans conquering C and D Type Sports Racing cars.

(The E Type was the production version of the short-lived XKSS: a road-legal version of the famed D Type Sports Racing car and built mainly to use up redundant D Type Chassis. Production of the XKSS was cut short when a disastrous fire decimated essential jigs and tooling.)

Few engines have demonstrated such ubiquity and longevity: the Twin OHC “XK Engine”, as it came to be known, was used in the new Jaguar XJ6 saloon in 1969 (which use continued right up until 1992!), and additionally employed as the power plant (in this case typed the J60) in such diverse vehicles as Scorpion tanks and armoured personnel carriers such as the Scimitar, Fox Milan reconnaissance and Fox Scout armoured vehicles, the Ferret and the Stonefield four wheel drive all-terrain lorry.

Properly maintained (Few were) the standard production XK Engine would happily achieve 200,000 miles of useful life.

Two of the proudest moments in Jaguar’s long history in motor sport involved winning the Le Mans 24 hours race, firstly in 1951 and again in 1953. The 1955 victory was somewhat overshadowed by the tragic events that occurred. Later in the hands of the Scottish racing team Ecurie Ecosse (who went down in legendary status for twice pulling off a David v Goliath effort in the famed car-killing race) two more wins were added in 1956/57.
    ‘One race car’, indeed.

large418
    Free Member

You’ll be hard pushed to get a better car for effortless fast touring than a Jag XF, especially V8 SC – they are truly awesome. I am not quite sure why the references to a Mondeo – they have nothing in common with a Mondeo. Some truly jealous people around…..

TheFlyingOx

There are more expensive Porsche’s for 70k

I would have thought one £70k Porsche was equally as expensive as any other £70k Porsche?

Inbred456
    Free Member

A mate a few years ago Had a mate that had a Lancia Delta Integrale, the fast turbocharged 4WD LHD one. While being a passenger he said “you know the indicator stalks are made of cheese the dash is plasticky, the trim appalling tat, it costs a small fortune to keep on the road but you can overtake something when you can see the whites of the eyes of the driver coming toward you on the opposite side” and with that he overtook about 10 cars slamming us back into the seat. What a car that was! I guess you just have to like fast cars.

hora
    Free Member

You don’t need to spend 70k to buy a brilliant Porsche.

Jag… Its the automotive equivilient of milky tea to me. That transit-engined thing/ disco/Range Rover, the squashed-faced/bodied-freelander lookalike etc just leave me cold PERSONALLY.

The sneak shots of the Jag supercar looked like any CAD-generic ‘what a supercar would look like’

Its an opinion.

Come on then hora – lets just say you needed an executive car, with 5 seats, 4 doors and wanted some oomph.

Not saying by any means you should choose the Jag, but what would you have?

BTW, I’ve sat in it and it’s sumptuous.

mogrim

You’ll be hard pushed to get a better car for effortless fast touring than a Jag XF, especially V8 SC – they are truly awesome. I am not quite sure why the references to a Mondeo – they have nothing in common with a Mondeo. Some truly jealous people around…..

Styling-wise they’ve got loads in common with a Mondeo: nice cars, but nothing special.

I’d love one of these Jags, it’d be so much better than the crappy people-carrier I’ve got – but only if I won it in a competition. I wouldn’t pay for it. It’s just too dull. 70k should bring a little style into my life, for 70k I want a pussy magnet, not a rep car like this one – however fast it may be.

mogrim

Styling-wise they’ve got loads in common with a Mondeo: nice cars, but nothing special.

I’d love one of these Jags, it’d be so much better than the crappy people-carrier I’ve got – but only if I won it in a competition. I wouldn’t pay for it. It’s just too dull. 70k should bring a little style into my life, for 70k I want a pussy magnet, not a rep car like this one – however fast it may be.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a rep in a Jag XF-R to be honest.

I don’t really know why I’m defending it, as I don’t know if it would be my first choice – everyone that saw it was drooling over it though.

hora
    Free Member

My choice? Maserati Quattroporte.

Not sure on list? So nearly new.

In black….

large418
    Free Member

Some people prefer the understated look, rather than the “look at me I have loads of dosh” look. It’s called taste.

hora
    Free Member

A lesson in Style is the Quattroporte

mogrim

Some people prefer the understated look, rather than the “look at me I have loads of dosh” look. It’s called taste.

Poor taste, I’d say. It’s not understated, it’s dull.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘My mate brought one of these to the pub last night…’ is closed to new replies.