Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • My good news (PSA don't bother reading if you aren't interested in my kids!)
  • sugdenr
    Free Member

What a difference a year makes.

This time last year 10yr daughter unhappy, hated school and teacher and isn’t doing well being bullied by her peers. Not like her at all.
    Finally diagnosed (lots of effort provided by wife, money and support provided by me, for private assessment, tutors and ‘treatment’) with mild dyslexia.
    A year of hard effort us really helping her, but especially by her. The new school year new teacher, better understanding of her all round and she is finally happpy again and doing well.

So, this year she sat entrance exam and is graded ‘outstanding’, going for scholarship interview next week. Done wonders for her self belief and we are so proud of her, not for climbing to the top, but for the sheer detemination she has shown to push through.

Encouragement is the magic key. A year of litte cycling etc. absolutely worth it, the stress and effect on us and marriage worth it but a struggle.

But what do you know – dyslexia is a very very varied thing. In her case we believe that it/was related to 3 things; she has low essentially a low working RAM capacity, so information bottlenecks at the point of input, she is easily distracted by auditory stimulii (2 people talking to her, she can’t ignore one and focus on another), balance – she hadn’t properly developed certain balance skills.

We focussed on the balance skills and there was a definite inprovement. Who would have known? Every day is a school day for parents (esp. maths, geography and history….).

Now if only I could get her interested in riding that £250 custom build bike I did her….

daveagiles
    Free Member

Top job, it is amazing home much difference a little support can make. Good luck to her :).

I was diagnosed in my second year at Uni. By many peoples standards I wasn’t struggling, but the support really helped me achieve. Now I’m in the first year of my PhD, doing things I never thought I was capable of.

ourmaninthenorth

Good on you and her.

My experience of dyslexia and other learning difficulties is that often very bright kids are still tarred with the “you’re thick” brush.

FWIW Mrs North finally had a “diagnosis” of a form of dyslexia aged 24. In the final year of her PhD….

So best of luck to all of you, and I hope (more) happier times are ahead..!

mikey3
    Free Member

A nice read,good stuff:)

bearGrease

This forum should have a plus one button but it doesn’t so +1.

bearGrease

Plus this thread is useless without pictures of the £250 custom build bike you built her.

Speshpaul

well done.
    Both my daughter and myself were diagnosed last year, i’m 45.

“But what do you know – dyslexia is a very very varied thing. In her case we believe that it/was related to 3 things; she has low essentially a low working RAM capacity, so information bottlenecks at the point of input, she is easily distracted by auditory stimulii (2 people talking to her, she can’t ignore one and focus on another),”

Thats me that is.

ourmaninthenorth

“But what do you know – dyslexia is a very very varied thing. In her case we believe that it/was related to 3 things; she has low essentially a low working RAM capacity, so information bottlenecks at the point of input, she is easily distracted by auditory stimulii (2 people talking to her, she can’t ignore one and focus on another),”

Thats me that is.

BTW, I read that as two things (low RAM, distraction). Which says something about me at least..!

sugdenr
    Free Member

Plus this thread is useless without pictures of the £250 custom build bike you built her.

Quite so, I shall remedy this asap – it has the only On-One 24’er specific carbon forks on the planet (probably…..) cue over-specified Dad build syndrome

Cheers guys – as it happpens, I got a ton of deja-vu in all this – i.e. she has inherited the dyslexia from me and I remain ‘undiagnosed’. To know that she wont have to struggle alone with this unknown difficulty that I had is brilliant.

But the extra effort she has had to do means she is a determined and strong kid. What doesn’t kill you….So it’s just simply all good. 8)

And I haven’t even told you about the half kidney she had to have out at 5yrs!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘My good news (PSA don't bother reading if you aren't interested in my kids!)’ is closed to new replies.