Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • My feet are frozen!
  • ivantate
    Free Member

OK it was -6C but only a short ride. No problem keeping the body warm and eventually the hands followed suit but no joy with my feet.

was using sealskinz and some thick shoes. whats everyone else using to keep warm while riding?

alexpalacefan

Seal Skins, over walking socks over merino socks. All in my extra large winter riding shoes. Toasty. I think having bigger shoes, so all that lot doesn’t constrict the feet is vital.

But despite all that prep. I still decided to spend today sitting on my arse.

APF

brant
    Free Member

Ed had some good suggestions in his latest foot-cast on Great-Rock TV

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Er might seem like a stupid question but, were you wearing shorts or tights/whatever covering all your legs?

mikey74
    Free Member

Two pairs of ordinary socks + seal skinz + Endura tights + Five Tens = toasty feet

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Sealskinz inside Shimano MW80 goretex lined boots. Silk liners under the Sealskinz if really cold.

retro83
    Free Member

Wellies and smart wool socks worked pretty well for me today 🙂

100mphplus
    Free Member

I must have terrible circulation and get unbelievably cold toes when riding and having tried various socks, winter boots, overshoes etc, I have resorted to buying those disposable toe warmers to keep my feet warm. Ok it’s costing me ~ £1.40 a ride but my feet are finally toasty all ride 😀

Dan1502
    Free Member

I had a thin pair and thick pair of proper hill walking socks on and my goretex spd shoes and the reason I turned back when I did was that my feet were worryingly cold. I was out for about 3 hours in -5 or so but still.

_tom_
    Free Member

Normal Vans shoes (had to be loosened a lot) + Brasher Explorer 4000 walking socks works well for me. That’s wearing normal endura zyme shorts (no tights or pads).

ivantate
    Free Member

had tights on an 3/4 humvees. will try some liners and full length waterproof trousers next run.

No wet or snow, just cold air causing the problem.

ChrisA
    Free Member

normal socks and shimano winter boots for me yesterday and my feet were toasty warm. i’m quite impressed with the shimano gore tex boots.

Roulercoaster
    Free Member

Thin socks, plastic sandwich bags, thick socks. Works a treat – when its really cold upgrade to heavier duty bags. Doesnt work unless its <0 though as then your feet will sweat inside the bags and then there is a counter effect.

Also with hands, thin gloves, pair of surgicals, thick gloves.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Get some thick neoprene overshoes I have some Pro ones and often ride in -3 to 8 with no problem and I do suffer badly from cold feet.

MrTall
    Free Member

I 2nd the toe warming pad inserts. I suffer with my feet and have found them the best cure so far. Delay the onset of really cold feet – just wish i could get my hands sorted now…..

Just restocked this morning at Boots and they do adhesive ones for £3.99 for 6 pairs so not too costly.

Not tried the Boots ones before but i’m guessing they are all pretty similar?

SiB
    Free Member

-10 on commute in this morning, shimano MW80 and winter socks, toasty. Cant say the same for my thumbs though, painful snd three hours later are still tingling

fasthaggis

Cool-max under merino socks inside Diadora Chillis .
    I have also been using my hill walking gaiters which can clip on to the bottom strap of the boots.
    Great in the deep stuff and I don’t need to bother with over shoes (which get pushed off with the snow anyway).

franksinatra

I asked this on a seperate thread but seeing as no-one is answering it, here goes!

How does the sizing come up on the MW80’s? Do people get them larger to wear a second pair of socks or just use normal socks? This mornings commute was my final justification for ordering some. -13 apparently. It certainly felt like it.

I’m a bog standard size 10, not sure which way to go with these.

matt_outandabout

I have some old walking gaitors, Lake winter boots, with thick Alpkit socks and thin summer socks and then Scott softshell fronted winter tights. Still get cold feet at times like this morning (-9)

takisawa2

Aldi Overshoes, old Shimano skate style shoes & seal-skinz socks.
    Never really suffered with cold feet/hands.
    They had this on Gardeners Question Time on R4 the other week, concesus was various solutions from bubblewrap to cling film & tin-foil.!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

just did 50 miles this morning

went for flat pedals and fur lined rigger boots under waterproof trousers !

trail_rat
    Free Member

just did 50 miles this morning

went for flat pedals and fur lined rigger boots under waterproof trousers !

trail_rat
    Free Member

so good i did those 50miles twice haha

allankelly

Plastic bags over the toes. For years I’ve cut the corners out of disposable shopping bags, pop over the toes, into the shoes, warm.

Cheers, al.

iainc

for me keeping space to allow toes to move is the key. Merino lined Sealskinz and Spesh Defrosters – 2 hrs night ride at minus 10 and they stay just about warm enough, but not toasty!

Shack
    Free Member

After this mornings -11 commute I am tempted by these:
    http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=154714382
    Electrically heated socks! got to be worth a try!

scant
    Free Member

does anyone have a link for the disposable toe warmers please?

scant
    Free Member
    MisterT

Lake winter boots + Rapha Merino winter socks and I’m happy down to -10DegC…. another pair of the same socks gets me down to about -18 so far, warm happy feet. I used to suffer v-badly from cold feet, and that was before last winter…. so shelled out for some proper Lake boots and fluffy socks and it’s one of the best investments I’ve made.

steve_b77
    Free Member

-11 near me this morning when we set off.

Woolly walking socks under my new MW80’s (one size up from normal) and once moving I was fine, it’s the standing around waiting that gets yer toes cold.

Other lower half attire consisted of Lusso Roubaix thermal/windproof bibs and Endura Single Track shorts

Might need some liners for my Gore Tool II gloves as my finger tips got a bit chilly.

amplebrew

I really sufffer with cold feet in the winter, although I’ve found that wearing my Shimano MW80 shoes with Endura MT500 overshoes seems to cure the problem.

jamesfifield

Neoprene overshoes are a seriously good investment this time of year. I suffer really badly from Reynauds (hospital earlier on this year) and they have proven to a complete God-send.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘My feet are frozen!’ is closed to new replies.