• This topic has 20 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • My dog's at the vet for a dental and I really can't concentrate on work…
  • Karinofnine

Poor Teddy, I hope he’s ok, I hope he’s not frightened, I hope he doesn’t need to have any teeth out (but I think he will need at least two), I hope he doesn’t hurt too much afterwards, I hope he doesn’t blame me, I hope he still loves me.

I feel like a very bad dog-mummy even though it’s for the best and I know he will feel better in a week when it’s all healed and he hasn’t got gum disease and stinky plaque.

This is awful, I keep getting up and walking around, then rushing back to stare at my phone to see if the vet has rung to say he’s ok.

SaxonRider

Sorry, I love dogs, but that seems a bit weird. 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

I think you’re being a big pansy, he’s with the professionals and will be fine….but here, see if this makes you feel better:

Karinofnine

Love The Dog Paradox – I’ve seen it before.

Yes, I know I’m being pathetic … 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes, I know I’m being pathetic …

You’re dog would be embarrassed at your actions 8)

Karinofnine

No he wouldn’t, he would lick me and put his legs in the air so I could rub his tummy

thepurist

and he hasn’t got gum disease and stinky plaque

Hate to break the bad news Karin, but his breath will still stink afterwards.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

None of my dogs had dentals. However our cats have between them had 4 dentals and all of them were fine. They will give you pain killers for you dog so that it does not suffer after the op.

We found our cats were notably happier almost as soon as they were home as the combination of pain killer and removal of damaged teeth really helped them.

One cat we adopted had to have ALL his teeth removed within 3 weeks of getting him as he was so ill dentally. He went from a cat that just flopped about to being into everything and running about having fun. I felt terrible though before hand about doing such a mutilating operation. Honestly though, you would not think anything bad had happened to him by the day after the op and he eats normal cat food faster than the others.

Its normal to worry about and love your animals, just like you would about any other member of the family. Dont feel silly, its just kindness and love that make you feel worried. The worst thing is not being able to explain things to them, the best thing is that they have no hang ups like we do, so recover in much healthier mental ways from quite severe medical situations.

DezB
    Free Member

Teddy will be fine 🙂

(See, that’s sorted that.)

Karinofnine

Regular dog-breath I can handle …

Karinofnine

Thanks DezB and Midnighthour, I know I’m worrying unnecessarily and that he will be fine – I just had to get it out there.

I had a breast scan a couple of weeks ago and was so un-worried I actually forgot about it until the letter arrived. I wondered why the NHS was writing to me, then I remembered (it was clear btw).

I must go now, I’m busy checking my phone has signal, has battery, and willing it to ring (with good news) 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

I must go now, I’m busy checking my phone has signal, has battery, and willing it to ring (with good news)

You sure you phone is working? Better get someone to ring it to make sure, then shout at them for hogging the line as your expecting an important call.

jon1973
    Free Member

You should get a lolly from the vet for being so brave.

Karinofnine

Ha ha.

Right, he’s come out of the anaesthetic fine, everything went as expected. He’s had 16 (!) teeth out.

Just think about how many Greyhounds there are, in racing and retirement kennels, with bad teeth. I wish I could rescue them all, but I can only afford my two. If I won the Lottery Jackpot, I would rescue them all, hell, I’d rescue everything.

thepurist

16 teeth out? Is there nothing you can do???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ask the vet about pain relief, some are not as up to date as they should be….(as a partner of a vet)

DezB
    Free Member

Rescue EVERYONE!

Glad the toothless beast is ok 😀

project
    Free Member

Took my cat to the vet last year, as she wasnt eating, he said she had bad teeth took all of them out except 1 at the front, he ex[plained the anasthetic may well kill her as would the shock.

6 hours later, prepared to pick up a dead cat, got there, almost crying, (some men do love pussies), vet went and got cat, she had just one tooth, meowing like a kitten,paid the 86 quid, she was stil alive, took her home, and she became a kitten again despite being 16 years old, running round, jumping and being playful, absolutely no sign of pain in her mouth or elsewhere.

She hasnt looked back, just cant bite the other cats loclly , but has hell of a spit and hiss for an old cat.

Animals are so adaptable, and so grateful when you gfet them fixed, well worth the 86 quid.

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve an 11 year old patterdale. He had about 16 out a few months ago.
    Cured his honking breath and never bothered him much. He was a bit groggy because of the general anesthetic but fine the day after. Took a couple of weeks before he would chew (gum) his bone tho.
    There dogs, there tougher than you think!

brakes
    Free Member

dogs are stoopid. you can kick them in the head and they’ll still be your bessie mate.

DezB
    Free Member
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘My dog's at the vet for a dental and I really can't concentrate on work…’ is closed to new replies.