Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 325 total)
  • My 11yo daughters are size 14 and my son is 20 stone – what am I doing wrong?
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

You’ve got Gov looking to a medical community, for what the advise to the public should be. However, that commuity do not appear to be able to agree on what the message on nutrition should be

how about people take responsibility for themselves instead of being wetnursed through life?
    people are quick to blame others for their own failings. if you are a pie eater it’s not the fault of the government or the pie maker. it’s you you fat c**t

Solo
    Free Member

JY.

My point with the Vid was to demonstrate how a company will squirm on the hook to deflect any attepmt to implicate them for their contribution to the issue.

You’re correct, nobody is holding a gun to my head telling me to drink Tizer. But likewise, I can’t get that woman ^^ to tell me that it contributes to the onset of obesity.
    And as for just eating less and moving more…. Well genius 😛 , if its that easy, why is excessive body weight even an issue ?.

I agree with Joe. Corporations are given a very wide range when communicating to the public in what they are allowed to tell us is healthy. While Govs allow corps to advise and self regulate then its buyer beware and shareholder gets the dividends.

Solo
    Free Member

Hmm… what if I swap local organic free-range FairTrade chips for intensively farmed genetically-modified apples…

Sorry dude, but this is how you will turn out.

GrahamS

if you are a pie eater it’s not the fault of the government or the pie maker. it’s you you fat c**t

Again, while true, if the piemaker has laced the pie with the food-additive equivalent of crack, and the government allows it, then it’s not surprising that there is a problem and they do bear some responsibility.

Dear God… I’ll..wear lycra?

(And is that a rain cape)??

Solo
    Free Member

And is that a rain cape

The latest in the Montane range, its water proof, breathable, wind proof, can bake you a cake, repair your puncture AND, packs down to the size of a pistachio nut. Heck, when it starts to rain, you’ll have trouble even trying to find it. Ace !.
    😀

monkey_boy
    Free Member

its been going on for years…. as the older ones amongst us will remember…

zilog6128

Again, while true, if the piemaker has laced the pie with the food-additive equivalent of crack, and the government allows it, then it’s not surprising that there is a problem and they do bear some responsibility.

Is a purely speculative argument or has this ever actually happened?

Solo
    Free Member

Is a purely speculative argument or has this ever actually happened

Apparently, Coke added HFCS to the US product to save 30% over their sugar costs, but it didn’t hurt that HFCS is sweeter than just plane ole sugar.

Lots of companies add sugar to increase consumption, hell, even fruit is grown to be sweeter.

Go figure.

EDIT:

JUST SAY NO, ZAMO !

GrahamS

Is a purely speculative argument or has this ever actually happened?

It’s more or less the argument put forward in that video about High Fructose Corn Syrup and other additives.

GrahamS

Apparently, Coke added HFCS to the US product to save 30% over their sugar costs, but it didn’t hurt that HFCS is sweeter than just plane ole sugar.

YEah.. and they didn’t just add enough HFCS to mimic the sweetness of the sugar it replaced, they actually added more to make it even sweeter.

atlaz
    Free Member

JUST SAY NO, ZAMO !

Rooooowlaaaaand could have done with saying no too. Is he still a DJ in real life? Also, does Zammo still work in the key cutter in Soho?

zilog6128

I understand that HFCS is a big problem in the US thanks to government subsidies, etc, which is why it is all over the net, but is it a problem or even relevant here in the UK?

Jamie
    Free Member

…but as HFCS is not used in UK supply chains, surely this is not even relevant to UK fatties?

Edit: Great minds, Zilog…great minds.

alexxx
    Free Member

Can’t be arsed reading the cake thread but my 2 cents are these:

1, firstly where I live it costs more to eat healthy… A salad will usually set me back more than a steak and chips.

2, when I worked with a lot of poor kids in my previous profession – they would all eat utter trash (I used to eat trash as a kid but no where near the amount these shovelled). Turns out kids from poorer homes don’t value themselves as highly and eating good food isn’t even on there radar.

I wouldn’t judge the whole family too harshly but acceptance is the first part of recovery so maybe they’ll lose some weigh… OR EAT CEEK

GrahamS

HCFS is not used in UK supply chains

Maybe not in Coke, but it is used in other stuff.
    It’s just called glucose-fructose syrup here.

Solo
    Free Member

I understand that HFCS is a big problem in the US thanks to government subsidies, etc, which is why it is all over the net, but is it a problem or even relevant here in the UK

I’m trying to demonstrate that Corporations do Actively and purposely focus on sales at the expense of whether or not one should eat maximum quantities of cake.

And, yes, people should take personal responsibilty for their diet, but it gets a little sketchy on the
    So what should I eat front. When food companies are allowed to tell us the truth whilst chasing the $.

Gorehound
    Free Member

Sod it I’m going to have a beer or four. 😛

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Hmm… what if I swap local organic free-range FairTrade chips for intensively farmed genetically-modified apples…

Solo
    Free Member

Sod it I’m going to have a beer or four.

I like beer, me. 😉

zilog6128

And, yes, people should take personal responsibilty for their diet, but it gets a little sketchy on the
    So what should I eat front. When food companies are allowed to tell us the truth whilst chasing the $.

I hear what you’re saying, but that always has been – and always will be – the case. In the days of the internet, anyone can do their own independent research. This is what I did, after having eaten poorly for the best part of 30 years and then making a conscious decision to change. It took a few hours of googling over a couple of days to separate the truth from the fiction and it turned my life around. Anyone can do it. Or they could spend the time making excuses.

Solo
    Free Member

Anyone can do it. Or they could spend the time making excuses.

Splendid, I now refer you to the OP.

Solo
    Free Member

Glitch-O-RAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

We Lurv you XXXX
    😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

And as for just eating less and moving more…. Well genius , if its that easy, why is excessive body weight even an issue ?.

Is it because people dont actually do this ?
    they sit around too much , eat to much, blame food manufacturers, get upset at doctors who say they are overweight, claim that “normal” is actually overweight and generally dont actually do what they should to loose weight because they like food and dont want to exercise?
    yours
    Sherlock
    Perhaps your claim is everyone obese is actually eating less than they use and it is some form of witchcraft/magic/voddo/violation of the laws of physics [ you will like that one] doing it? I know you have form on threads like this and some evangelical zeal for that video but there is no magic to the fact that to get fat you consume more than you use.
    To loose weight you consume less than you use.
    To get people to do this may be hard but this does not mean it is not true

D0NK

No mention yet of the evil Corporations who advise to decieve and indecisive Gov Depts, lobbied to take it easy with the legislation….

took a while but there atlast. Definitely a factor I reckon. oh and picture 3, any politician or CEO getting their kid to eat something as a PR exercise should be hanged by their own entrails.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Can’t we just introduce a WWII style rationing system for fat people?

Jamie
    Free Member

I know you have form on threads like this

Heh.

Solo
    Free Member

JY.

Hellooo again. I’ll try to be nice 😀

there is no magic to the fact that to get fat you consume more than you use.
    To loose weight you consume less than you use.

I’m guessing that you’re leaning on that first law of TD there. People have been telling the obese to eat less and move more, for while now. Obesity does not discriminate, it will take anyone it can. So, given the large number of people who are obese and have been given such advise, why do so many fail ?. Are they all bad people, or is it that theres a little more to it ?. If people were simple calorie machines, it would be soooo simple. Like only putting enough petrol in your car to travel 20 miles, when you wanted to travel, 20 miles…. Of course, compared to the human body, cars are simple machines.
    But, anyway, thats the boilogical side of stuff and excessive body weight is big bucks for those who position themselves to gain by people who eat too much.

took a while but there atlast. Definitely a factor I reckon. oh and picture 3, any politician or CEO getting their kid to eat something as a PR exercise should be hanged by their own entrails.

That was John Gummer feeding his daughter a beef burger to convince us all that Cows weren’t mad…

MrSmith
    Free Member

When I was at school a long time ago there were 2 fat kids in my year of about 250 pupils. I can remember their names and what they looked like mainly because they stood out as being fat. Food was probably more unhealthy then, there was ‘instant’ time saving food and takeaways that are not much different today and a mars bar probably had the same amount of sugar in it but olive oil was available from the chemist to shift earwax and salad was lettuce and cucumber.
    So I can’t see how food is to blame, it’s lazy people blaming something else for their inability to moderate their diet and exercise.
    What was the percentage again? 32% of 11 year olds are overweight? They need to get off their fat arses.

Gorehound
    Free Member

They need to get off their fat arses.

You have a very good point there.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m guessing that you’re leaning on that first law of TD there.

are you rejecting it then – that would be me and everyone else leaning on it then – have you re written it? can I see your working?

People have been telling the obese to eat less and move more, for while now.

Obesity does not discriminate, it will take anyone it can.

yes it will if you have an energy imbalance- the laws of physics dont change based on whether you agree with them or not.

So, given the large number of people who are obese and have been given such advise, why do so many fail ?.

beacuse they dont actually follow the advice because it is hard and they would rather watch tv and eat cake than exercise and eat salad- Is this a surprise to you?

Are they all bad people,

NO

or is it that theres a little more to it ?.

NO

If people were simple calorie machines, it would be soooo simple. Like only putting enough petrol in your car to travel 20 miles, when you wanted to travel, 20 miles…. Of course, compared to the human body, cars are simple machines.

And the point is – the more complex you are the less the laws of thermodyamics apply to you – can I see your working?

I know you dont agree and i cannot be bothered arguing with your evangelical zeal[ which is as rationally based] but if you gave me any person or people by simply controlling their diet and exercise i could make them fat or thin and so could they.

I agree other factors can exacerbate this but the fundamental cause of obesity is beyond doubt and the cure is simple to say and hard to do.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

bwaarp – Member
    Can’t we just introduce a WWII style rationing system for fat people?
    POSTED 29 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Why don’t you ask the fat people, see if they would like it. Can we do something similar in association with Paul Smith, for those who dress like scruffs?

I’m fat by the way. But not intentionally.

molgrips
    Free Member

it’s lazy people blaming something else for their inability to moderate their diet and exercise.

Well.. hmm.. if you consider for the sake of argument an average person with sheep-like qualities (not wishing to be disparaging, but there are elements of ovinity in most of us)..

a) We see people on telly going to the gym and getting all super fit, riding their bikes across the atlantic etc etc, and we are tending towards thinking that exercise is a big thing you have to do

b) Most of us have sufficient cars and money for fuel that we can just drive about wherever we please, most importantly this is considered THE NORM so any deviation from it is a special effort

c) There are simply tons more fun things to do inside than there used to be. Tons and tons. Let’s face it, playstation games are bloody brilliant, as is the internet. And if you are honest, I bet an awful lot of you as kids in the 70s would’ve been all over these things if they existed. Because you are basically the same as kids today. So it’s now the norm to spend an evening on a computer or playing GTA5 or whatever.

Moses

Don’t forget the recent introduction of fructose syrups into our diet.
    This seems to be almost as dangerous as tobacco if this is to be believed:
    STUDY

Solo
    Free Member

are you rejecting it then – that would be me and everyone else leaning on it then – have you re written it? can I see your working?

JY, anymore of that and you will be reported for trolling. If you think I have form, then you will know that I do not reject the laws of TD. On another thread, I said that eating less and moving more doesn’t work and everyone misinterpreted that as me saying that the laws of TD aren’t true.

So let me be clear. Eating less and moving more does work, but it doesn’t.

GrahamS

So it’s now the norm to spend an evening on a computer or playing GTA5 or whatever.

The thing is, when I was a kid it was the norm to spend a day playing ATV Simulator, Stunt Car Racer, Spy vs Spy, etc etc

But then we’d also play a bit of kerbie in the street, go build dens, create dams in the burn, play on tree swings, wander down to the park, walk to school every day etc etc

molgrips
    Free Member

Stunt car racer was not as addictive as Call of Duty.

Jamie
    Free Member

JY, anymore of that and you will be reported for trollng.

Isn’t it a bit early for you to start throwing your toys out the pram, Solo?

8)

MrSmith
    Free Member

We were too poor for computer games. 🙁
    I did have to saw logs up when I got home from school though, it was that or be cold. Sniff
    Maybe central heating is to blame? You don’t have to burn calories to stay warm. 🙄

porter_jamie

I am absolutely convinced that fat people are fat because they eat too much, and thin people are thin because they eat less. I do not have any data to prove this. I am happy to be proved incorrect if someone can point me in the direction of the data.

Junkyard
    Free Member

anymore of that and you will be reported for trollng.

Dont threaten just do it if you feel so strongly.

If you think I have form, then you will know that I do not reject the laws of TD.

non sequitor.

On another thread, I said that eating less and moving more doesn’t work and everyone misinterpreted that as me saying that the laws of TD aren’t true

thanks for clearing that up, It is now clear you think moving less does not work, but it does, but it doesnt.
    THANKS

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 325 total)

The topic ‘My 11yo daughters are size 14 and my son is 20 stone – what am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.