Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 325 total)
  • My 11yo daughters are size 14 and my son is 20 stone – what am I doing wrong?
  • Solo
    Free Member

but on a sub-conscious level, there’s a lack of willingness to do anything about it.

Interested in the subconscious activity that influences people’s behaviour. Hormones influence our state of mind and if those systems are out of whack, then peoples thoughts and choices/decisions will also be effected. Hence the leptin thing stimulating hunger or not, in relation to BF. Don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t consciously think myself hungry. It just happens.

binners

Fat people are thick then are they? Well after my huge pig out in the pub last night – mahoosive burger and chips (there was a side-salad – but we ignored each other), and a few pints, I thought I’d balance it out by the 15 mile commute in this morning, and the same home

According to my Runkeeper app, I’ve burned 639 calories on the way in, but… BUT… I’m absolutely bloody soaked. Seriously dripping! Like I’ve been hosed down, then thrown into a swimming pool.

So who’s the daft **** then? Me? Or the biffer sat ramming pasties into their mouth, maybe having the first White Lightning of the day, sat on the sofa watching Jeremy Kyle? Eh? EH?!!!

I’ll probably have bloody pneumonia by lunchtime. And even if I don’t, I’ll have to put all my sopping wet gear back on for the ride home. Pfft! I need a pie to make me feel better! Its soooooooo not fair 🙁

wwaswas

“At what point did you look in the mirror and just stop caring?”

It should probably more be a case of;

“At what point did you look in the mirror and feel so overwhelmed by the problem that it was easier to ignore it than try and address it?”

Solo
    Free Member

This is the point I reckon it would be most interesting to identify with overweight people.

Everytime I see a morbidly obese person, I think the same thing to myself: “At what point did you look in the mirror and just stop caring?”

I have a similar story. I know a guy, use to be champ for his area, oop north, etc, etc. He’s less than 6′ but around 25 stone. He knows about calories in and out, etc, from his training. But everytime he ques to pay for petrol, he’ll pick up something from the shelves that lead to the till. And drive thru’s make it just too easy for him.
    He’s a nice guy, great company and I find it tragic to see him eating himself to an early death.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

“At what point did you look in the mirror and feel so overwhelmed by the problem that it was easier to ignore it than try and address it?”

Indeed, that’s a better way of putting what I meant.

According to my Runkeeper app

😆 😆 😆

moniex
    Free Member

Its hard to believe that so many 11 year olds are obese. My son is 11, 145 cm tall and 34kg. He is skinny. His little brother is 9, nearly the same height, but about 1kg heavier. His little brother is less skinny, and eats more. I try and cook healthy food (never just re heat), but they are allowed a treat after school. My oldest is just less “bothered” about food. It will be easier for him to stay slim later in life.

binners

Don’t mock me Bravisimo

*bursts into tears*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*bursts into tears*

Here, have a fag binbins xx

Jamie
    Free Member

There must be a split, no? Surely some bods do genuinely not give a shit they are packing it on, as well as those who stick their head in the trifle sand in relation to the problem as, like you say, that is easier than addressing the underlying issues.

According to my Runkeeper app, I’ve burned 639 calories on the way in..

Seems veeeeery optimistic.

Solo
    Free Member

Binners.

You, you…. RUN to work ?… 😯

And no, I don’t believe that fat people are thick, or stupid but even if you found someone who wasn’t fully up to speed. I’d like to think that they could learn how to eat, sensibly.

At what point did you look in the mirror and feel so overwhelmed by the problem that it was easier to ignore it than try and address it?”

I’d suggest that someone is only going to feel overwhelmed if they don’t know how to sort it. But that raises another facet to all this. People are, to one extent or another, at the mercy of their bodies and the biology going on there. But they may hold aspirations to look a certain way, have a certain style of physique.

molgrips
    Free Member

Resignation
    Denial
    Anger
    Depression

All factors.

And this:

Hormones influence our state of mind

binners

Here, have a fag binbins xx

I can’t. I’ve packed in. Which doesn’t help my pie hankering 🙁

You, you…. RUN to work ?..

Nope. I ride. The app does that bicycling thing too. I’m not getting into all that Strava nonsense.

We have proper hills around here, remember. 1200ft of climbing over 15 miles.

Anyway… this is all beside the point. Are you not going to ask me how my burger was? 😆

Solo
    Free Member

Are you not going to ask me how my burger was?

Strava nonsense

What is Strava ?.

wwaswas

you run 15 miles to work 😯

has your bike been nicked?

atlaz
    Free Member

There must be a split, no? Surely some bods do genuinely not give a shit they are packing it on, as well as those who stick their head in the trifle sand in relation to the problem as, like you say, that is easier than addressing the underlying issues.

My best friend doesn’t really care that much. In the 15 years I’ve known him he’s never been thin and when he moved out from his parents to move to London he really put on weight. That said he was eating ready-meals for two on his own and eating dessert too. I had a couple of attempts at telling him to watch what he was eating (I also put on weight but started out quite skinny) as it was going to do him harm. The first time he listened and said he’d try then the second time the admitted he just didn’t care enough. He’s very bright, knows what it’s doing to him and although I know he’s trying now he has kids and wants to be there for them in later life, he’s not doing loads to cut down his weight, he’s just losing a little by eating a bit better.

Sometimes people just don’t really care enough to change their eating habits.

binners

Right! I’ve just downloaded Strava. This is peer pressure, this. I feel I’m being over-bantered 🙁

I hope you’re all bloody happy if I have a massive (soggy) coronary on the way home 😈

Jamie
    Free Member

massive (soggy) coronary

Sounds delicious!

Solo
    Free Member

a massive (soggy) coronary on the way home

Do you want fries with that ?.

zilog6128

Nope not even that. My consultant friend loves to cook and makes everything from scratch. She is way better informed about nutrition than most people. She just likes nice food and wine.

Weird. I love to cook and make everything from scratch. Don’t like wine much but I do like beer. No formal training in nutrition. And I’m not fat!

According to my Runkeeper app, I’ve burned 639 calories on the way in

I think apps like this (and readouts on machines in gyms, etc) can be extremely misleading. Yes, you may be burning that many calories (although you probably aren’t) but they aren’t all extra calories when you take your BMR into account.

hora
    Free Member

You’ve quit Binners? Well done, keep it up :mrgreen:

Solo
    Free Member

but they aren’t all extra calories when you take your BMR into account.

I think you are spot on there and I reckon a lot of people might make the mistake of forgetting that burried within that figure of 639/whatever the readout displays, is the cals your body burns doing other stuff while you’re commuting. Cals that would have been consumed anyway.

binners

I think apps like this (and readouts on machines in gyms, etc) can be extremely misleading. Yes, you may be burning that many calories (although you probably aren’t) but they aren’t all extra calories when you take your BMR into account.

Not really the point. The point is that I’ve ridden 15 miles, climbing 1200ft, instead of driving to Greggs for a sausage butty 😉

zilog6128

Not really the point. The point is that I’ve ridden 15 miles, climbing 1200ft, instead of driving to Greggs for a sausage butty

Obviously my comment wasn’t directed at an Adonis such as yourself, I think the point stands for everyone else though

dirtydog
    Free Member

Dr P – Member
    Currently working in “2 beemer country” (Horsham) and haven’t seen as many obese people by a long shot….

Woody – Member
    There is definitely and obvious connection between poverty and obesity,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and then there is Aberdeen

Supermarkets have got a lot to answer for.

“Buy one cake get another free” or this weeks special offer “3 stodgy items for the price of two”.

You never see these sort of offers on anything which is remotely healthy.

When was the last time you saw 5 pieces of fruit for the price of 3 or 50% extra off the price of vegetables?

Yes there’s a responsibility on the part of the parents, however families on low incomes will always be drawn towards the Supermarket “special offers”, it’s how people on low incomes are able to afford to eat!

Supermarkets are nothing more than drugs(sugar)pushers trying to maximimise profit as that’s where the money is made.

Solo
    Free Member

it’s how people on low incomes are able to afford to eat!

And are prices manipulated ?, are certain foods subsidized ?.

Remember what Nixon did for Corn ?…

zilog6128

Bollocks. That same excuse trotted out again. ASDA chicken wings: £1.69/kg. ASDA frozen peas: £1/kg. Show me any cakes or other nutrient-free items that are as cheap as that by weight please (offers included).

Solo
    Free Member

I will admit, of late, I’ve no idea how much a ready made pizza costs, nor how much burgers are, etc. I’m lucky enough no to have to pay any attention to the numbers on the shelf label. I just grab the veg and meat I like.

dirtydog
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member

Bollocks. That same excuse trotted out again. ASDA chicken wings: £1.69/kg. ASDA frozen peas: £1/kg. Show me any cakes or other nutrient-free items that are as cheap as that by weight please (offers included).

Whats weight got to do with it?

When was the last time you saw 5 pieces of fruit for the price of 3 or 50% extra off the price of vegetables?

zilog6128

Everything. If I was on the poverty line (thankfully I’m not) I would be looking for the most nutrient dense foods for my money.

GrahamS

Sorry, was busy cycling to work. 😀

721kcals according to Endomondo, 628kcals according to MyFitnessPal, 450kcals according to me guessing what seems reasonable 😀

Without useful inputs like heartrate and VO2 these apps can only ever guess calories burnt based on very rough equations involving time/distance and your weight. Better than nothing, but IME they do overestimate by quite a bit.

..they aren’t all extra calories when you take your BMR into account.

Hmmm.. not sure about that. The whole point of MyFitnessPal is to calculate your BMR, set a calorie goal under it, but allow exercise calories to be eaten.

My BMR is 1912kcal a day, so that averages as 79.6kcal an hour, so it isn’t a large part of the calories these apps report. And I think MFP takes it off anyway, presumably why the MFP estimate is lower than the Endomondo one, even though they use the same formula:

Keytel LR, et al, “Prediction of energy expenditure from heart rate monitoring during submaximal exercise”, J Sports Sci. 2005 Mar;23(3):289-97. PubMed PMID: 15966347

+ figures from: http://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities

So she is willingly taking being overweight, as collateral damage for a fine eating and drinking experience?

Mmmm.. partly, though she doesn’t like being overweight. In fact she hates it. She’s done various zero-carb diets and has used the Couch to 5k running programme to get to the point where she regularly goes out for 3 or 4 mile runs. But she struggles with depression and self-confidence issues, often leading her to the comfort of fine food or wine.

Vicious cycle. 🙁

dirtydog
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member
    Everything. If I was on the poverty line (thankfully I’m not) I would be looking for the most nutrient dense foods for my money.

And it’s not going to be found in biscuits and cakes is it?

emsz
    Free Member

I think sometimes I live in a different world to you guys. Most of the people I know could tell you the special offers on at the usual fast food places, will buy only processed food that you heat up and will drink pretty heavily from Thursday night. About the only thing my mate Ali makes from stratch is toast.

They are adults on the surface, but really they’re kids, another friend of mine lives of bars of chocolate and tubs of yoghurt, she’s getting flabby, but is always saying things like ” I’ll go on a diet next week/month” whatever. These are the people that just get a bit bigger everyday, they don’t notice, and as most of the people they know are the same, they won’t do anything about it.

The mags don’t hep though, pictures of airbrushed stick thin models that have unobtainable body shapes and give you unrealistic ideas of beauty

zilog6128

And it’s not biscuits and cakes is it?

No, it’s meat & veg, which by weight are cheaper than biscuits and cakes.

atlaz
    Free Member

Quite a lot actually, particularly if you buy things in season rather than, say, strawberries in December.

dirtydog
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member
    And it’s not biscuits and cakes is it?
    No, it’s meat & veg, which by weight are cheaper than biscuits and cakes.
    POSTED 22 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

The weight of something has no bearing on it’s nutritonal value.

atlaz – Member
    Quite a lot actually, particularly if you buy things in season rather than, say, strawberries in December.

POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Show me any supermarket that is currently offering fruit or vegtables at a discounted price.

I can show you plenty that have special offers on “stodge”.

wwaswas

most of the supermarkets put fruit that’s on the turn up at 50% extra free or 2 for 1.

They’d rather you took it home and threw it away uneaten than they had to pay trade waste prices to get it disposed of.

40% of all food purchased in the uk is not eaten according to a chap on Radio 4 the other day.

emsz
    Free Member

Zilog

But biscuits and cakes are yummy and will make you feel better and are cheap, and you don’t have to cook them, just sit on the sofa and eat.

molgrips
    Free Member

The weight of something has no bearing on it’s nutritonal value.

What about satiety/£ ratio?

I can eat a huge plate of vegetables costing several pounds and still feel hungry.

I think sometimes I live in a different world to you guys.

You probably do.

Not saying anything personal – it’s the class divide innit. A lot of people here are very unaware of how half their country goes about their lives.

binners

And pies are better than both biscuits and cakes, AND fruit and veg. Therefore pies are the best food. FACT!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Everything. If I was on the poverty line (thankfully I’m not) I would be looking for the most nutrient dense foods for my money

Maybe you would, but the fat poor people I see in supermarkets tend to be loading up on frozen pizza and giant bags of crisps. The only concession to a healthy lifestyle being the diet coke.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 325 total)

The topic ‘My 11yo daughters are size 14 and my son is 20 stone – what am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.