Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 325 total)
  • My 11yo daughters are size 14 and my son is 20 stone – what am I doing wrong?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Show me any supermarket that is currently offering fruit or vegtables at a discounted price.

I can show you plenty that have special offers on “stodge”.

I can show you several but they’d be outside the UK as that’s where I live. However, my local Sainsburys in Surrey last year used to regularly have BOGOF or similar on apples, veg etc

zilog6128

The weight of something has no bearing on it’s nutritonal value.

Righto. Whatever you say.

What about satiety/£ ratio? I can eat a huge plate of vegetables costing several pounds and still feel hungry.

Satiety is (IME) dependent on eating fat (and to a lesser extent protein) not carbs. Try melting a load of butter (also exceptionally nutrient dense) into that veg next time, then see how you feel.

But biscuits and cakes are yummy and will make you feel better and are cheap, and you don’t have to cook them, just sit on the sofa and eat.

FTFY
    You’re right though, with a lot of people it’s down to apapthy

Maybe you would, but the fat poor people I see in supermarkets tend to be loading up on frozen pizza and giant bags of crisps. The only concession to a healthy lifestyle being the diet coke.

Doesn’t change the fact that healthy food is cheaper. All this illustrates is that poor people have too much money if they can afford to waste it on crap. 😆

GrahamS

The mags don’t hep though, pictures of airbrushed stick thin models that have unobtainable body shapes and give you unrealistic ideas of beauty

It’s confusing this isn’t it?

On the one hand everyone else getting fatter means we apparently have changing perceptions of what a normal healthy body size is, leading us to get fatter.

And on the other hand we have unobtainable, sometimes physically quite impossible, photoshopping of already insect-like models promoted as the “ideal”.

molgrips
    Free Member

Satiety is (IME) dependent on eating fat (and to a lesser extent protein) not carbs.

Not IME.

Carbs stimulate leptin production. Many times I’ve eaten a huge meal of beans/veg/meat and still felt hungry. A couple of biccies later and straight away I’m sated.

My problem on the iDave diet is that I end up eating big meals because they don’t fill me up, and I end up with too many calories overall.

And as for cakes making you feel better – they do. In the short term…

Here’s a good one:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201105/sunlight-sugar-and-serotonin

Peyote
    Free Member

However, my local Sainsburys in Surrey last year used to regularly have BOGOF or similar on apples, veg etc

My local Asda (just outside Surrey!) has regular BOGOFs on fruit and veg. Last week it was grapes and tomatoes. Pretty much every week there’s special offers on spuds, they even sell unwashed spuds at even cheaper prices.

It is easy to eat cheap and healthy, but it’s easier to eat cheap and unhealthy as Emsz illustrates in her posts.

binners

Yes, yes, thats all very well…. But we are all agreed that the pie is the very pinnacle of human culinary and nutritional evolution? Possibly to the point where it warrants its own religion?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Here you go Binners
    Religion pie 😉

And on the other hand we have unobtainable, sometimes physically quite impossible, photoshopping of already insect-like models promoted as the “ideal”

Speak for yourself fatty 😉

I used to be underweight for a woman my height but have now progressed to being underweight for a man my height in middle age

When we did the Olympic athlete calculator to see who you were most like they were all women 😯

zilog6128

Not IME.

Carbs stimulate leptin production. Many times I’ve eaten a huge meal of beans/veg/meat and still felt hungry. A couple of biccies later and straight away I’m sated.Tends me be a fair bit of fat in most biccies!

wwaswas

I’ve got pasty for lunch and binners has made me want to eat it now.

With a nice mug of tea.

*wanders off to put kettle on*

Peyote
    Free Member

But we are all agreed that the pie is the very pinnacle of human culinary and nutritional evolution?

Yep, definitely

Possibly to the point where it warrants its own religion?

Not sure, don’t want the Pastafarians to start hurling canneloni and lasagne again. The gnocchi battles were bad enough, introducing a third carbohydrate into an already knife-edge situation could be asking for trouble.

Also it’s only a matter of time before the tarts start wanting their own outlets, then it’s just going to be patisseries everywhere.

binners

Eat the pasty now, then nip to the chippy at lunchtime. Sorted! 😀

emsz
    Free Member

Food never will be about price or whether it’s good for you though. In my circle of friends I’m the odd one!! I can cook, and I shop for ingredients, but sometimes it’s just nicer to get a bowl of fruit loops, smash choccy digestives into it and pour in chocolate milk!! The difference is for me thats a guilty treat after my Sunday long run, for some of my friends that’s dinner… Day in day out.

But. It’s not just about food, that’s just part of the issue, we ( my generation) are going to struggle to get jobs houses all that stuff, and we are always shown the stuff we can’t get in adverts and on the telly phones, cars, houses, bodies and part if that is food programmes. It’s like ” we make it so you don’t have to” it’s out of reach, like everything else, may as well have a mars bar and coke, least it’s cheap!!

GrahamS

Speak for yourself fatty

I used to be underweight for a woman my height..

😆

Yes but are your legs barely thicker than those of the chair you are sitting on?

http://www.psdisasters.com/2012/09/made-bird-legs.html

And is your neck longer than your head?

http://www.psdisasters.com/2011/02/vampire-drearies-goiter-be-kidding-me.html

http://www.psdisasters.com/2012/08/kohls-heads-up.html

Peyote
    Free Member

, and we are always shown the stuff we can’t get in adverts and on the telly phones, cars, houses, bodies and part if that is food programmes

You’re right, and it’s a shame that so many people are persuaded to validate themselves in the ways that Marketing people want them too. I had hopes for the generation following mine (I’m mid 30’s), that they’d be so immersed in a world of advertising and marketing that they’d be able to easily figure out what was rubbish and what the truth was. Trouble is so many resources are poured into telling people they’re cr*p unless they buy/eat/consume XYZ product it’s overwhelming and all consuming (if you’ll excuse the pun).

I do wonder how we’ll get out of the maelstrom we’ve got ourselves caught up in… …Going to read my kids “Affluenza” tonight, get in there before the Ad Men do!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes but are your legs barely thicker than those of the chair you are sitting on?

oddly trousers that fit my waist wont go over my Hoy like thighs*
    Actually they will [just]but I would not like to try and sit down

* may not be completely true

kaesae
    Free Member

I for one would like to see full length photo’s of all the people posting on this thread, just to be absolutely sure that they’re not full of shit.

The problem is simple, it’s the same problem that enables a mentally retarded culture to go around criticising people they don’t really know or care about.

The way most people perceive the world they live in and themselves including their bodies is abusive, strange to have GrahamS one of the most abrasive and abusive individuals on STW, criticising others about being abusive.

kaesae
    Free Member

Junkyard I would have thought you would have far more problems with the collars on Tshirts being far too tight for your neck!

GrahamS

GrahamS one of the most abrasive and abusive individuals on STW

😯

Blimey! I hope that’s not really how I come across.
    It’s not like I go around calling people “retards” and suggesting they are full of shit.

*reaches for a comforting Jaffa Cake*

Junkyard
    Free Member

I for one would like to see full length photo’s of all the people posting on this thread, just to be absolutely sure that they’re not full of shit.

clothes on or off ?

it’s the same problem that enables a mentally retarded culture to go around criticising people they don’t really know or care about.

thanks god you dont stoop to the levels of criticising people you dont really know …oh hold on a minute 🙄

strange to have GrahamS one of the most abrasive and abusive individuals on STW, criticising others about being abusive.

Graham is abusive you seem to only have a passing awareness of reality…certainly your reality is very much different from most other peoples.

Junkyard I would have thought you would have far more problems with the collars on Tshirts being far too tight for your neck!

T-shirts dont have a collar silly but i mainly achieve it by harnessing the powers of cosmic rays once they are in alignment it is easy.

How do you get yours over your tin foil hat?

FWIW we have been very restrained IMHO but if you continue like this I will tell you HONESTLY what i think of you 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I for one would like to see full length photo’s of all the people posting on this thread

clothes on or off?

D0NK

blimey kaesae

re cheap fruit and veg, aldi normally do a 39p selection of stuff, varies each week, mind you they also do scrummy 99p double pepperoni pizzas which kinda undoes all that good work

clubber
    Free Member

GrahamS one of the most abrasive and abusive individuals on STW

really 😯

I usually notice his posts because for quite a long time, I thought he was a GrahamS I was at uni with and I’ve always thought him a pretty reasonable type of person (though with a bit of a blind spot on Apple based products 😉 )

stumpy01

I wouldn’t say that eating healthily needs to be expensive.

I started getting a bit lardy of late, nothing major just a general increase in flab which I wasn’t happy about.

Looking for ways to eat healthier snacks at work, I decided to try chopped up veg…
    Tesco do a bag of peppers, a thing of celery & a 1kg bag of carrots for £3.
    I have half a pepper, 1 celery stick & some carrots cut up in a pot every day at work. If I feel hungry mid morning or afternoon I just eat veg until I am no longer peckish. That £3 will easily do me for a week, realistically more.

So, I doubt you would eat 100g of celery, carrots & peppers as snacks but if you did you’d consume a grand total of 68 calories…

But, cutting up veg every day takes a bit of effort and people at work look at me like I am nuts as they trudge downstairs to the vending machine.
    Don’t get me wrong, I still eat my fair share of crap, but it’s about finding a balance.

atlaz
    Free Member

But. It’s not just about food, that’s just part of the issue, we ( my generation) are going to struggle to get jobs houses all that stuff, and we are always shown the stuff we can’t get in adverts and on the telly phones, cars, houses, bodies and part if that is food programmes. It’s like ” we make it so you don’t have to” it’s out of reach, like everything else, may as well have a mars bar and coke, least it’s cheap!!

Sorry, but that’s nothing new. I didn’t get a foot on the property ladder until my mid-30s (and that, frankly, was a lucky redundancy gifting me the deposit) and I’ve cooked since the day I left home at 18. When I was at uni I worked out REALLY quickly that I could cook food for a week on what a couple of days of junk food cost me (but I lived with 3 people who also cooked so we encouraged each other and shared). Adverts still showed us the same stuff it shows you now, but with less restrictions on what could be advertised. Yes, there were more jobs around but I had friends who graduated and took a long time to get jobs too and often not in their chosen careers.

It’s really easy to say that your friends eat junk food for some arbitrary reason but for a large percentage of people in their early 20s that I know, they really don’t cook because they can’t be arsed. You can cook because you want to cook. Lack of willpower isn’t something that can be blamed in a blanket measure on the media or society.

philconsequence
    Free Member

you say that stumpy…. but i finish off about 4 415g bags of carrot batons and 3-4 packest of celery a week from the tescos near my work

atlaz
    Free Member

Charity “STW middle-managers in IT careers in front of Audis” calendar anyone?

GrahamS

I thought he was a GrahamS I was at uni with

Strathclyde Uni, BSc Comp Sci (Hons), graduated 1997?

I’ve always thought him a pretty reasonable type of person

*wipes away tears and goes to the bathroom to throw up a pack of Jaffa Cakes*

binners

I for one would like to see full length photo’s of all the people posting on this thread

I’m trying to set the camera timer up to get the classic pose of my best angle. Just like this…

Its proving difficult. The bathing costume’s not helping, to be honest. And I still can’t get used to heels.

Just out of interest… when has GrahamS been abusive?

GrahamS

Just out of interest… when has GrahamS been abusive?

I suspect kaesae is harbouring a slight grudge because on other threads I pointed out that some of his less mainstream theories don’t quite marry up with empirical evidence (aka “reality”).

atlaz
    Free Member

You are SO abusive. In modern society there should be enough space for all alternative, tin foil hat wearing nutjobs to have their ideas and have them classed as equally valid as those supported by actual evidence rather than an idea after 7 pints and some shrooms.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You still have a higher opinion of his views than i do 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

To be fair, his bushing removal tool is okay for the price.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hey he hates capitalism too
    he eventually started calling it Imperialist capitalism after i kept pointing out to him he was a capitalist:roll:
    He never actually answered the question directly- bit like he never answered where he got his frames from which first brought him to this happy place.

Jamie
    Free Member

The problem is simple, it’s the same problem that enables a mentally retarded culture to go around criticising people they don’t really know or care about.

…on so many levels.

@Junkyard.

Just pants on, please.

stumpy01

Philconsequnce – so 4 bags of carrot sticks at 415g each is 1.6kg of carrots. Which is still only about 465 calories…

Apparently, a mars bar is 260cals. So 2 mars bars is more than a weeks worth of snacking carrots.

Perhaps I’m not making my point very well, but people are saying that eating healthily is expensive, but I don’t believe it needs to be. If I were to buy a kitkat each day for a snack instead of the veg I eat it would cost about £3/week and I’d consume 1165 calories compared to approximately £3/week (actually a fair bit less than that) and a calorie intake of 340 for the veg. 800 calories less PER WEEK at no more cost, just by changing 1 snack choice.
    And the veg I eat does me for a morning and an afternoon snack (amongst other snacks like yogurt), whereas if I had the kitkat in the morning I’d probably want something else in the afternoon…

binners

Isn’t there a possibility you could die of boredom though?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bored of an entire vegetable based diet…thems fighting words..oh hold on I feel weak and tired…snores

DrJ

I’ve always thought him a pretty reasonable type of person (though with a bit of a blind spot on Apple based products

You’d be moaning quick enough if you heard his views on Pie based products.

wwaswas

1.6kg of carrots

a week 😯

GrahamS

4 bags of carrot sticks at 415g each is 1.6kg of carrots. Which is still only about 465 calories…

So you’d need to eat more than five times that to meet the recommended daily intake of 2500kcals for a man.

8kgs of carrots…

Or one bag of fish and chips…

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 325 total)

The topic ‘My 11yo daughters are size 14 and my son is 20 stone – what am I doing wrong?’ is closed to new replies.