Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Music: name your favourite songwriter …
  • rOcKeTdOg

Frank Turner, always makes me think, usually makes me smile

MrKmkII
    Free Member

jeffrey lewis – arrow. i'm sure there're plenty of people who'd describe it as sub-velvet underground, but i think it's totally amazing.

hels
    Free Member

Reluctant – I think Handsome Family are husband and wife team, he writes the music and she writes the words. I have a book of short stories by Rennie Sparks its quite scary.

Bob Mold for me in Sugar, close draw with Colin Macintyre of Mull Historical Society.

Although obviously I mostly listen to reggae and gangster rap.

Bunnyhop

Elton John with lyrics by Bernie Taupin ( yes I know you said only one but they're like Lennon and McCartney).

Love lies bleeding in my hand.

Northwind

David Walls, AKA Ginger from the Wildhearts. Despite heroic efforts to destroy his talent with drink and drugs, still sh*ts great songs. Can't name a best track but most of his B-sides would be career best singles for other rock bands. Oh, let's say Do Anything but if I was to choose another one in 5 minutes it'd probably be something else.

But if I was allowed 2, number 2 would be Colin MacIntyre I think. And best track, Your Love My Gain.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Can only be Richard Thompson. Such a variety of song writing and the diversity of his guitar playing from heart aching ballads to blisterring solos hasn't been equalled in my opinion.

LittleTones
    Free Member

Jimmy Webb – Wicheta Lineman
    Gets me by the heartstrings every time…..

redthunder
    Free Member

Beethoven 6th.

NUff said.

CountZero

Christ, c_g, you don't go for the easy ones, do you? Damn, there are just so many it's almost impossible to make a choice. Favourites would include:
    Patty Griffin
    Emmylou Harris
    Laura Marling
    Gemma Hayes
    Kris Delmhorst
    Tom Waits
    Paul Simon
    Peter Gabriel
    *sigh* I suppose if I have to choose one, it would be Peter Gabriel, for sheer consistency right through his entire career. As for a song, just as difficult, but San Jacinto from PG 4 just shades it.
    Tomorrow, it could be any of the above.

tazzymtb

best song writer and wordsmith in my honest opinion is Martyn Walkyier from the folk metal band Skyclad.

You lost my memory- the lyrics just sum up every nasty hurtful breakup
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6__payz_yw&feature=related

some great song and album titles:
    the silent whales of lunar sea
    Folkemon
    great blow for a day job
    thinking aloud?
    single phial
    inequality street

tazzymtb

I would also second New Model Army- Green and Grey or small town england

Blackhound

Difficult but will go for Shane MacGowan. Song choice is 2A Pair of Brown Eyes" today, could be different tommorrow.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Steve Earle today.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Music: name your favourite songwriter …’ is closed to new replies.