Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mudguards.
  • flyingmonkeycorps

As a newbie to this “commuting by bike” lark I’m discovering all sorts of new and exciting things to spend my money on to make the whole experience more pleasant. The next thing I need is some mudguards.

I know nothing about mudguards. Almost literally nothing.

So; what mudguards should I buy for my 2015 Pinnacle Arkose 2 (the one with the 1×10 gears and hydraulic discs)?

Far as I can tell it has standard mudguard mounts at the back and a bolt directly underneath the fork crown at the front.

Thanks STW.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have an arkose 4 and have used PDW Full Metal Guards and I’m currently using SKS Bluemels guards. The under fork mounting is a bit of a pain in the arse but it is nice and neat. When I fitted the pdw guards I put an L bend in the bracket on the guard then drilled a hole through the guard to access the bolt, this made no difference to water getting at me.

With the sks guards I just put the under fork bolt through the fitting, tightened it up, with a rubber washer between fitting and fork, then just moved the guard into the right position thus bending the mounting point. Works fine. Wouldn’t want to do it if I was taking the guards on and off regularly but it’s my winter/wet day bike so I leave the guards on all the time.

DezB
    Free Member

If you’re not particularly bothered how they look…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/zefal-classic-mudguard-set/rp-prod128256

I’ve got SKS full on full metal million bolt jobbies for my Tripster, I used them last winter – but found a set of the Zefals in my garage and I can’t see myself going back to the SKS. Dry days you just pull the guards off. Ugly buggers, but who looks at mudguards? (Apart from the obvious 🙂 )

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Depends if you want something that you fit and forget, keeping them on all the time, or whether you want the convenience of quick-release guards (which can become extra faffing about, removing something else when you arrive at your destination, like my SKS Fatboards).

Beavertail XLs should work with the ~40c tyres on the Arkose 2.

freeagent
    Free Member

SKS Chromoplastics on my 2016 Arkose 3.

I’ve got the 35mm version, but would suggest you go for the next size up (I already had the 35’s off my previous bike)
    I had to bend the front stays (mounting bolt is halfway up the fork leg) but they are a really solid fit now and don’t move/rattle.

I’ve only removed them once so far – but once you’ve set them up it should be pretty easy – 3 bolts at the front, 4 at the rear.

flyingmonkeycorps

Looks are generally not a priority, nor is removability – they’ll go on soon and stay on till next spring at least. Those Zefals look fine but I think I’d actually prefer something bolted on properly – less likely to go walkies when the bike’s left outside work.

s1m0n
    Free Member

Not meaning to hijack thread, but has anyone tried the new Crud RoadRacer Mk3 or SKS Raceblade Pro XL yet?

Looking for something for Giant TCX but prefer being able to remove them as and when I want.

MoreCashThanDash

SKS on my Stories, but really liking the look of the PDW Full Metal Fenders

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mudguards.’ is closed to new replies.