Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Non-boost to boost adapters/diy/bodge – anyone had success?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’m looking at a new frame with Boost spacing. I currently have Hope Pro2 hubs in non-Boost flavour.

Officially I know you can’t do it but has anyone found a way or success in doing so? For the front, I can see it’s easier with new spacers and some re-dishing but the rear seems like a much harder task. I did see someone did it with a standard rear hub, two 15mm spacers and then spaced out the rear mech cage so that it was in the right place.

scotroutes

Hope do a conversion kit for the rear.

timmys

I’ve seen a few people mentioning this positively;

http://www.lindarets.com/boostinator/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nemesis
    Free Member

scotroutes – I can’t seem to find that.

Unboost kit here which is basically just two 3mm spacers and the sort of thing I was thinking of.

http://dfenderguard.bigcartel.com/product/un-boost-spacer-kit

scotroutes

OOps! sorry – it’s just a front conversion

110x15mm Pro 2/EVO Front Conversion (Converts a 100x15mm) HUB1009-14N

cokie

I’m interested in this. I’ve got a nice set of wheels I’d like to use, but it’s 142 & 100 (Hope Pro4s).

psycorp
    Free Member

I looked into this recently and started a thread about it.

I’ve got a standard 142mm rear hub to work in my 148mm new frame. I had to buy 2mm and 1mm M12 washers, 1 of each either side to space out the hub to the frame. I then bought a load of M5 1mm washers to space out the rotor from the hub 3mm, or you could get 1mm M6 washers and space in the caliper if you have an IS mount frame (3mm washers of any size are a bit difficult to come by). Remember to check your frame dropout clearance against the outside diameter of the washers too. I had to get 20mm OD M12 washers.

Oh if you go the rotor space out route don’t forget to get some longer rotor bolts. I got 15mm long ones for mine.

I’ve ridden it a couple of times and it all works. The caliper alignment is a bit fiddly and the shifting in a couple of gears I can’t get quite right. I’m a little worried about putting stress on the frame axle though as the hub axle obviously doesn’t sit in the dropouts, the washers do.

Ultimately I got it working but my OCD won’t let the little grumbles lie so I’m going to buy a boost wheelset and shift the current wheels onto my Aeris. Depends what you’re will to accept I guess.

HTH

STATO
    Free Member

I then bought a load of M5 1mm washers to space out the rotor from the hub 3mm

😯

Ultimately I got it working but my OCD won’t let the little grumbles lie so I’m going to buy a boost wheelset

Good call!

psycorp
    Free Member

^^^^

The manufactured unboost adaptors just come with a 3mm plate to go under the rotor, essentially the same thing.

I should add that one of the advantages of boost rear is that the hub itself is wider, which moves the cassette out 3mm. This should improve the chainline on 1x drivetrains.

tandemonium
    Free Member

Nemesis. I recently had the same conundrum, bought new frame with boost but had a set of nearly new Hope Pro2s on decent rims.
    I went with the Lindarets Boostinator – it includes an axle adapter for the non drive side of the hub, so the cassette is in the right place for the chainline (unlike psycorp’s solution / bodge) and a rotor spacer with longer bolts.
    As the centreline of the hub/rim is effectively now further towards the driveside, you have to re-dish the wheel by 3mm to get it back onto the centreline of the bike. I was lucky and the spoke lengths I had in the wheel allowed for this without needing to replace any.
    Been using it for the last month, shifting all good, braking all good & whilst the rear wheel is not as stiff as a true boost hub would be, it is still better due to the reduced dish on the drive side. All in only cost £35

psycorp
    Free Member

@tandemonium

I’m confused, are you saying that you have 6mm of spacers on the non drive side?

STATO
    Free Member

Yes that’s what he has done, move the hub over and put all the spacers on the disc side. This is the best solution as you can just replace the disc-side end cap and fir a big (solid) disc spacer with longer bolts. Re-dishing the rim 3mm is easily done on almost any wheel and is very unlikely to require new spokes

nemesis
    Free Member

Found this for the front

http://www.roteccycles.co.uk/hope-pro-2–evo–4-15mm-x-110mm-boost-convertion-kit-11643-p.asp

For the back, it’d be easy enough to get a 6mm spacer made (or probably just find it on eBay) and rotor spacers are already available

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Non-boost to boost adapters/diy/bodge – anyone had success?’ is closed to new replies.