Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • mr gove
  • JacksonPollock
    Free Member

3, if the bin and recycling drivers go on strike, can i be a lgv driver for the day

Why not I say?! 😆

It’s the ‘can’t do’ attitude of certain sectors of society that annoys me, backed up by ridiculous levels of bureaucracy, when any solution (no matter how implausable) is talked about.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

he’d be happy for parents to go into schools to help keep them open during the strike.

I very much doubt Gove said that because he thought it was a sensible suggestion to the issues concerning the teacher’s dispute, or that he expects his daft suggestion to be implemented.

Much more likely he used the suggestion as a propaganda tool designed to ram home the point that the teacher’s one day strike will have catastrophic consequences for the nation, and cause irreparable damage to our children’s eduction.

To suggest the need for such drastic emergency plans to deal with the horrendous situation caused by a one day strike by teachers, further emphasises just how greedy teachers are, with their cushy jobs, huge wages, early retirement, and their total selfish disregard for children’s education.

Not a bad move at all imo……well done Gove.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Oooooh, big society in action innit?

I am assuming Mr Gove is referring to the small number of parents who already have been CRB checked to help out in the school: you are supposed to have a crb for each new ‘role’. I have an ‘enhanced’ one re-checked yearly and I work with some of the most vulnerable and messed with/up kids in the south west. But that doesn’t mean I can just show it to the headteacher of my childrens’ school and then volunteer there. And in the same way the headtecher can’t just turn up and mind the children where I work either. Last time I looked a CRB check (even for someone who has five or six clear ones from other jobs/roles) cost about £70.

project
    Free Member

II wonder if all the fools who voted con would now vote con now, i blame a lack of education for them voting conservative, they obviously didnt read the history books labour provided about how the cons systematically destroy the state enterprises.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Are techers in English Schools really on a 2/3 final salary scheme? I thought it was 1/2 final salary.

donsimon
    Free Member

II wonder if all the fools who voted con would now vote con now, i blame a lack of education for them voting conservative, they obviously didnt read the history books labour provided about how the cons systematically destroy the state enterprises.

😯

miketually
    Free Member

must say I was a bit surprised they got two thirds final salary as a pension thought I was doing ok on fifty percent

The average pension drawn is £10,000.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

From http://www.teacherspensions.co.uk

“If you were a member of the TPS before 1 January 2007, your pension is 1/80th of the average salary for each year of pensionable service. Individual days count as 1/365th of a year.” – This is most teachers.

To get a 2/3 final salary pension they’d need to work for 53 years – or until they were 75, assuming they entered the classroom at 22.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is this Gove bloke the one that they call “two brains”?

Just shows how far numeracy standards have slipped when the people that run the country have gotten their numerators and denominators mixed up.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Two Brains is Willets

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The average pension drawn is £10,000

Given teachers salary that is a surprisingly low figure, not sure what the average wage is, but if they only get 50% of final salary i’m sure they earn more than 20 grand a year
    My final salary pension having paid 31 years was frozen in 2009 which pays 50% and expect to get about 15 grand a year even with the last nine years or so reckoned at career average

Apologies if I quoted the 2/3rds incorrectly, relied on info from the BBC which said

It is a final-salary scheme, based on a 1/60th accrual rate with a normal pension age (NPA) of 65, offering a pension of two-thirds of final salary.

For those who joined before 1 January 2007, the NPA is 60 but the accrual rate is 1/80ths plus 3/80ths lump sum, offering a pension of half final salary.

BillMC

The full entitlement is only there for people who work continuously. The majority of teachers are women, many of whom take career breaks to bring up kids. They retire with nothing like the full pension.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Seeing as there are a few teachers here maybe they can answer a question that has puzzled myself and friends for years

Why do they always congregate around one table in a pub no matter how many of them there are? Can always tell when teachers are in by the amount of tables that have no chairs around them and one great big group just about balancing their drinks on a solitary table

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why do they always congregate around one table in a pub no matter how many of them there are?

They are secretly planning dastardly ways of undermining the very fabric of our society.

headfirst
    Free Member

safety in numbers innit, we’re always wary of attack from ‘angry hard-working parents’

firstly we form a corral around the drinks….also if we have all the chairs, they can’t be used as weapons against us

(CBA punctuation, etc)

miketually
    Free Member

What BillMC said.

Also, believe it or not, some teachers have been in the Real World ™ before becoming teachers, so they don’t spend from age 22 to retirement paying into their teacher’s pension. In my department, of six of us only one went straight into teaching at age 22.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The full entitlement is only there for people who work continuously. The majority of teachers are women, many of whom take career breaks to bring up kids. They retire with nothing like the full pension

Can you buy extra years? not agitating just interested as we used to be able to before the final salary deal was stopped. I paid in to cover the days lost when we went on strike, never bought any extra years though

miketually
    Free Member

You can make additional voluntary contributions. A colleague did some sums and worked out he’d break even if he lived to 84 or something.

I should probably look into buying extra years, as I didn’t start paying in until I was 25.

miketually
    Free Member

Future teachers will be stuffed. Student Loan repayments, plus extra pension contributions, plus stupid house prices, plus no jobs because they’re full of old duffers who can’t retire yet.

Sandwich

Is the teachers pension fund one of those that is fully funded , it has no defecit and does not appear to need a top up from the public purse? Unlike say the police and fire service ones.

miketually
    Free Member

Is the teachers pension fund one of those that is fully funded , it has no defecit and does not appear to need a top up from the public purse? Unlike say the police and fire service ones.

I believe so.

When it was renegotiated 4 years ago, a cap was placed on the government’s contribution, so any future deficit would be covered by members. One of the reasons why we’re a little annoyed…

julianwilson
    Free Member

Why do they always congregate around one table in a pub no matter how many of them there are?

Nurses do too. We are also plotting to undermine the fabric of society. HTH.

NUT chap on radio 4 this morning was suprisingly un-ranty. Particularly liked his response to the NUT’s strike ballot respone/turnout being akin to the AV referendum, (but with 92% ‘yes’ vote).

No mention of CRB/liability implications (discussed earlier in this thread) from the spokesperson they wheeled out cos Mr Gove was too busy. In backing up the parents-comeing-in-to-help idea he did however describe the functions of school as twofold, 1) education and 2) childcare.

I bet that will go down well.

ransos
    Free Member

I thought the teachers renegotiated their pensions T&Cs about 4 years ago? What happened?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ransos – you are right. They did and one of the key things is this put a cap on the taxpayer contribution – any future deficit will be made up by the teachers own contributions.

What happened – the government want an enemy to fight so decided to use public services by attacking the pensions of the public servants to provoke a dispute.

Its nothing to do with finances, its everything to do with politics.

Same as the NHS pension fund which has also been reviewed. For many years the NHS pension fund has been in surplus with more being paid in than taken out. This is still the case now. This excess money has been used as revenue by the exchequer not saved or invested. In the future the NHS fund will tip into deficit. Then the government has to make up the shortfall. This is only fair as they have spent billions in surpluses.

Public sector pensions are affordable and sustainable in the main. cuts to them will not save the exchequer significant money as reductions in pensions simply mean more folk will end up on benefits as average pensions are low – just a few thousand a year. The scandal is that private sector do not have decent pensions for most workers and that is a shortfall that will have to be made up by the taxpayer in the form of benefits

Lifer
    Free Member

Gove on strike

There he did something that I am sure no other leading Tory has done, and which helps explain his understanding and empathy with left-wing critics: he was on strike for as long as four months in the bitter confrontation between the National Union of Journalists and the Press and Journal, which derecognised the NUJ against the wishes of the journalists and then made scapegoats of the union leaders.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Repeated thread, you know, the one that got closed down a few days ago..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lifer that link ios pschofansy of the highest order
    header gives

He has immense charm

then telling us

What sets him apart,” he says now, “is that he has the precious skill of making people who don’t agree with him like him and respect him. He is persuasive in a personal sense. People who don’t agree with him start agreeing with him a bit.

I gave up reading just after that TBH

Tiger6791

Just to add to the intellectual debate…

Mr Gove does have a very punchable face.

That is all, carry on.

Lifer
    Free Member

I didn’t post it because of the writer’s impression of Gove but as a source of the striking story.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Watched the thing from the “Campaign For Real Education” on breakfast TV this am. Between her and Gove I suspect I’d need to recruit David Hay as an assistant..

franksinatra

I always thought strike was last resort after all other means of protest have been exhausted. Work to rule etc. Can they hand on heart say that there is no alternitive (yet) to strike?

That is all

miketually
    Free Member

I always thought strike was last resort after all other means of protest have been exhausted. Work to rule etc. Can they hand on heart say that there is no alternitive (yet) to strike?

I’m still conflicted as to whether the strike is the right thing to do, but it’s certainly keeping the topic in the news more than if it was just the negotiations going on. The speed of the implementation of the change being introduced along with the government’s seeming disinclination of negotiate on some points means that there’s not a lot of point in waiting until after negotiations have ended.

antigee

Gove’s every move seems to be driven by classic free market economic concepts – what barriers are there to a free market in school education? – well the fact that teachers pay and conditions is negotiated nationally is percieved by free marketeers as a “distortion” similarly that the fact that teachers have to be qualified creates an artificial “scarcity”
    Think the tories are very happy to pick a fight with teachers

laughably whilst taking central control and removing the support (not control) of local authorities

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2011/01/government-bullies-schools-considering-academy-status/

ourmaninthenorth

Future teachers will be stuffed. Student Loan repayments, plus extra pension contributions, plus stupid house prices, plus no jobs because they’re full of old duffers who can’t retire yet.

I’d say future everyone will face this issue. It is beyond mere ideology, too – the issue is one of expectation. And the expectations have been too high for too long.

But, of course, with tories in power, public sector workers are going to get a kicking in this regard….

MrOvershoot

Berm Bandit – Member
    Watched the thing from the “Campaign For Real Education” on breakfast TV this am. Between her and Gove I suspect I’d need to recruit David Hay as an assistant..

Best not spoil Hay’s chances for the big fight, I’ll give you a hand if you want.
    I would normally never strike a woman but in this case I am willing to make an exception!
    She was/is a hideously annoying stuck up old bag.

allthepies
    Free Member

Gove is my MP.

A very decent chap 🙂

avdave2

it’s equivalent to saying he’d be happy for anyone to go in to work as a copper if the police went on strike!

Well the public seem quite good at dealing with burglars so why not. I’m off on Thursday, I think I might tell the kids this evening that it’s ok school will be open and I’ll be teaching them. That should go down well.

kimbers

allthepies – Member

Gove is my MP.

A very decent chap

his plans for pe reform were inspired to cut a shedload of funding and use the olympics as a model to replace pe lessons twaaaaaaaaaaat of the highest order imho

El-bent
    Free Member

Gove is my MP.

A very decent chap

A case of one knob voting for another?

anagallis_arvensis

A one day strike now is the lesser evil to educational attainment. All exams done. Working to rule for a few weeks would have a much bigger effect. Although I agree the current strike may have been premature.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘mr gove’ is closed to new replies.