Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Moving to NW England – New Life Start
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I moved up to the region a year and a half ago. Very happy I did.

We were initially looking south of Manchester / north of Peaks, but settled to the north of the city to be nearer relatives.

This has turned out to be a good move as property prices seem much more sensible, the local riding is ace and there’s easy access to the M6 north or south.

But if you’re based in Oldham (?) then you’d probably want to avoid getting across the connurbation around Manchester too much, so west from there maybe?

stcolin
    Free Member

I wont be ‘based’ in the office in Oldham exactly, I’ll be moving around constantly. Having the office relatively close by will be handy for me.

binners

I worked in Oldham for 3 years, and I live in Rammy. The journey was a doodle even in rush hour (such as it is). All the traffic is heading the other way, into Manchester. And I could commute regularly on the bike and have some great off road routes home.

That picture I posted on the first page is Blackstone Edge, t’other week. Right near Oldham. As you can see; its rubbish 😀

hora
    Free Member

Great stuff OP- remember the first few weeks will be a mind-**** due to getting your head round work etc etc like any new job and environment.

Great place to be though with the Peaks etc 🙂

Enjoy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@st colin – enjoy it, look forward not back (and all those other cliché’s !). If I’ve one regret its that I haven’t moved around enough life and work-wise. Being based in a new place give you time to settle in an really get to know it. I’m not local but I do know that the Peak District is one of my favourite places to ride and worth the 3 hour drive so having that on your doorstep is a privilege.

hora
    Free Member

Its all good- I cycled from Manchester through Marsden to Hudds centre on Sunday. The bad part was the Manchester to the top of Ashton Under lyne.

The other good thing is the south Lakes isn’t that far away either.

stcolin
    Free Member

Well that’s the notice handed in and the new job formally accepted.

Will be arriving in England the weekend of the 9th August, not long to go now!

Harry_the_Spider

9th of August eh?

Come out for a Monday night spin and say hello to some of us local assholes.

totalshell

if the offic eis in oldham and your covering the north west.. the motorway is your friend so get north of mnanc. anywhere between rochdale and bolton heden is too far off route so bury would be ideal and its on m60/62/66

hora
    Free Member

Prestwich better. Good pubs/restaurants and avoids that junction queue to Bury nightly.

binners

Bury’s Rough? Compared to where? Have you ever actually been there? There’s plenty of brilliant places to live around bury, that aren’t even remotely ‘rough’, with brilliant riding straight out your front door!

As I said before, bury up to Rammy and Rossendale means you’re straight on the motorway, and Oldham is half an hour tops, even at really busy times.

Edit: good ninja edit there hora bags 🙂

Cougar

I have nothing further to offer other than,

Pint?

Cougar

Come out for a Monday night spin and say hello to some of us local assholes.

Can I come? I promise I’ll be, er, at least as shit as was last time, I’ve ridden at least six miles in total this year.

hora
    Free Member

Binners I decided to focus on that Junction/the nightly queue. You must agree.

Rough as in winding ‘Harry up.

Its ‘ok’ but I think its suburbia and ok if you grew up there but too typical to relocate to.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Firstly – big congrats on the job and move. Second; seeing as you’ll be working Oldham way, you probably won’t need to live in or around Macc, which given the grim conditions early doors today, will obviously be a big relief.

Sandwich

Dont buy a road bike or you will need to ride with Hora

I thought the procedure was arrange to ride and then get a message saying he’s doing something else while you’re in the designated meeting spot.

hora
    Free Member

…having not checked the topic on the forum earlier… 😉

stcolin
    Free Member

Well with about 3 weeks to go until the move, things are hotting up.

Have my eye on a few places to live around Bolton/Bury and also looking east of Manchester around Warrington. What’s available to me for riding around that part of the world?

You lot pay rightly for your council tax, don’t you!? 😉

IHN

looking east of Manchester around Warrington. What’s available to me for riding around that part of the world?

Road bike – lots
    Mountain bike – can you get your bike in your car easily?

stcolin
    Free Member

Yes, getting an estate company car.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Have my eye on a few places to live around Bolton/Bury and also looking east of Manchester around Warrington. What’s available to me for riding around that part of the world?

It may be an idea to get your compass recalibrated 😀

binners

I’m from Warrington originally. I moved out of there as soon as possible. As did everyone else with anything between their ears. I never ever go back. I’d happily nuke the place from orbit. Its a bloody awful place! A cultural wasteland, with nowhere to ride nearby, populated almost entirely by idiots, and the very very easily pleased

And the M62 towards Manchester, which you’ll be on regularly to try and escape the shit-hole, is usually another car park

xherbivorex
    Free Member

minor point, but warrington is west of manchester!

anyway, you’d be better off looking further north of there (like, other side of wigan north) and somewhere around horwich/chorley- the M61 provides a slightly less horrific rush hour route into manchester/oldham, and you’re much closer to decent hills for riding (either on or off road)…

globalti
    Free Member

Seconded that on Warrington; the whole area is ghastly, flat and congested with traffic. The “island” between the M6 and the M61 is difficult to access and a complete ball-ache if you’re unfortunate enough to be in a car.

Study the OS 1:25,000 map and look north of Bury – you’ll see that the Rossendale valley heads north towards Rawtenstall and then curves east where it joins up with Calderdale, the home of STW. The entire length of both valleys offers magnificent views and great mountain biking. The mind-blowing choice of off-road routes is thanks to the pre-industrial sheep farmers who carried their goods around on packhorse trains, creating a complex network of tracks, some of which are now bridleways. With industrialisation came the mills, canals and quarries with access tracks and roads – look at the area of hills north of Rochdale, starting with the amazing Rooley Moor Road (so-called Famine Road) and ending at Lee Quarry and you’ll begin to understand how good the area is for mountain biking. Have a look at this very good website for a taste of the quality terrain on offer:

http://www.idonohoe.com/moorland-gallery.htm

So to find a house that’s near the M60/M66 is not too difficult as it’s a buyer’s market around here. Look north of Bury in Summerseat, Greenmount and Holcombe, Ramsbottom and all the way up the East Lancs railway to Rawtenstall, home of the very excellent Ride On cycles and some quality restaurants including Nino’s Italian’ almost next door. Oh and if you like beer there must be a dozen craft breweries within riding distance as well.

Ask again if you need any more advice. I could even take you out for a spin in the car to see some of these delights in exchange for a pub lunch.

stcolin
    Free Member

Haha, yes, my compass needs new batteries. Most of the properties I like are north of Manchester. Warrington appeared to be getting too close to Liverpool for my liking….;)

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

I’m in Rossendale, and I work in Eccles. It takes 45 minutes during rush hour to get there, avoiding the M60.

The M60 to the North of Manchester is about to become a nightmare for the next 3 years as they turn it into a Smart Motorway.

Can’t fault the area, surrounded by hills and you are in easy reach of most places in Lancashire.

buck53

Possibly a minor point, but if you go for the hills around Shaw, Milnrow, Littleborough, Todmorden you needn’t touch motorway to get to Oldham and will skirt the upcoming works on the M62 if you get on at Milnrow (assuming travelling East) and can get on the M60 without using M62 (other directions).

I moved up here from East of Manchester at the start of the year and the scale of riding from my door stop is still not sinking in, really.

totalshell

shaw milnrow littleborough greta for rides. littleborough is right on the MTL and the PBW the canal runs through the centre of town so simple connections by bike boat and train to tod/ hebden and all the riding a fool would like or even LGBT nights out in hebden.

duncancallum

I’m in horwich and have been for ten years Its got good access to the M6 m61 m65 and trains to Preston or Manchester

Plus rivvy is ace.

I know I’m a newbie here but if you want a tour drop me a pm

davetrave
    Free Member

The office is in Oldham which I will visit from time to time.

Whatever you do, don’t live in Oldham too – I joined the Army to escape to a safer life…

Saddleworth’s OK though, you could look at somewhere like Mossley, quite nice, relatively cheap and easy access to the M60 to get across the rest of the NW. My bro and some of my mates live up that way and it’s far enough out of Oldham not to be tarred with the same issues. My grandparents used to live up Blackstone Edge Old Road, so right by where Binners’s photo is – Littleborough’s nice, easy for the motorway too (his sentiments about Warrington reflect mine of Oldham, especially after the remodelling around Mumps Bridge and the introduction of the Metrolink which make it oh so easy to just completely bypass the place). Otherwise, I’d head north of Manchester as most others have suggested – good local riding and easy to get to Lakes and Dales. That’s what I’ll be doing when I rejoin civvy street next year.

johni
    Free Member

I echo Binners comments about Warrington. I lived west of there for 3 years and hated the fact you had to drive to any decent riding. It is just too flat. I spent a lot of time driving to Delamere Forest or Llandegla just to find interesting trails.

I now live in Pendle area with easy access to all those areas others have mentioned. Not suitable for a commute to Oldham but riding north of Manchester you have loads of good stuff around Dunsop Bridge, Worsthorne, Yorks Dales and if you like man made stuff there is Lee Quarry and Gisburn Forest.

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone for the replies.

Currently looking at a few places in Royton outside Oldham. Having another being viewed on my behalf today. The move is two weeks today, so it’s starting to get exciting. I’m looking forward to getting out riding once I’m over there. I’m much more into natural stuff than manmade.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I’m much more into natural stuff than manmade.

well there’s an abundance of both around here!

duncancallum

good luck with the move

davetrave
    Free Member

Royton… My other grandparents used to live there and still got family around the top end in Thornham, best pub’s probably the Summit right up the top of Rochdale Rd. Handy for the motorway and Tandle Hills Park is quite pleasant – no real riding, it’s too small, but OK for running.

binners

I used to work in Royton, and lived in Rammy. I’d commute in on the road, and take the long route home. Once you’re up Rochdale Road (and through the post-apocalyptic shit-hole at the end of it), you’re up Rooley Moor Road and into the hills. I could get a lap of Cragg Quarry in en route. Or head the other way, and you’ve got everything around Blackstone Edge and Littleborough.

I can think of worse places to live (anywhere nearer to Rochdale being a prime example)

And you’re handy enough for the Monday Night Pub Rides. You’ll have to join us when you’re settled in 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’m much more into natural stuff than manmade.

That applies to both trails and women 8)

Good luck and keep us posted.

hora
    Free Member

Royton? Thats just up from the Seat garage? Abit of a deadzone IMO. Nothing of note happening either way. Abit vanilla. (sorry).

When I moved up north from London I moved into a rented flat right in the Northern Quarter Manchester. Maybe too full on but I wanted a social life/stuff to do/mischief etc. If I moved to Oldham/Royton I’d be hanging up my spurs.

davetrave
    Free Member

If you want to live somewhere close to Oldham, don’t bother with Royton – it is pretty dead TBH. As I said earlier, look at Mossley or Saddleworth. Mossley’s probably best as you’re handy for the M60 – few miles through Staly Vegas and Ashton – and there’s a station on the Manchester-Leeds mainline so it’s dead easy to get in to either city for some nightlife, whilst retaining a villagey feel and being able to run/ride from the doorstep. There’s also some decent pubs in Mossley – Rising Sun foremost amongst them…

Good luck with the move wherever you decide to live though.

stcolin
    Free Member

Found this little gaff in Mossley….

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-41256734.html

This is the property that has been viewed for me

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-41174308.html

Only issue is no parking outside as it’s on a main road. There is parking close by but could be a bit of a pain.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Moving to NW England – New Life Start’ is closed to new replies.