Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Motorbike lock to reduce insurance cost, what do I need?
  • 18BikesMatt
    Free Member

My recent move to sheffield has meant my previously cheap motorbike insurance has gone up stupidly (roughly 3x). I’ve been using a couple of bicycle locks I already had and they haven’t been listed on the insurance. I’m thinking a proper motorbike lock that is mentioned will hopefully make a difference.

I’m being told that it’s the new postcode that has made the price go up and that as the policy is only 3rd party it might not make any difference but I’d like look into it rather than just getting my wallet out.

Previous policy was roughly £100/year, proposing about £330/year. So the lock would have to make a good saving but also not cost too much (moon on a stick anyone?)

I’ve tried online comparisons and changing mileage and it makes little/no difference.

Any other suggestiongs for lowering insurance greatly appreciated. If I can’t get it closer to the previous cost, it will have to go. Anyone want a CG125?

Matt

footflaps

Ask the insurance company?

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

tried that, they couldn’t advise other than fitting a top of the range alarm/immobiliser system

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Hi Matt,
    The minimum that you will need to impress insurers is Sold Secure Gold, is the bike parked outside, if not, get a ground anchor and lock from Oxford Products, they won’t stop a determined thief but as Oxford are a recognised brand, the insurers are sometimes influenced by this.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

There you go Oxford Prod Security

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Almax is the king of chains, they also supply HUGE Squire locks and ground anchors.

Edit they have some deals with insurance companies too.
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=16

thepodge
    Free Member

Get a bigger bike. 125s always seem to have higher insurance, I presumed it was because they are easy to move

By comparison, my fazer 600 (in S6) costs me 135 a year TPFT and I purposely insure it without listing any locks that are on it after my old bike was stolen when I forgot to lock it up.

I realise that’s not too helpful

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

parked on road so ground anchor not an option

Does the type of lock make a difference? I’m used to using U-locks and cables for bicycles but is a disc lock/chain/u-lock viewed as more secure? (for the same sold secure rating)

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

At the moment getting a bigger bike isn’t an option, it’s an extra so needs to be as cheap as possible and I’d need to do all my tests plus purchase the bigger bike, it’s not going to be less than the increase in insurance.

smogmonster

I have an Almax for my motorbike, and make no mistake, its a monster. Definitely recommend them.

firestarter
    Free Member

My old bike one reduced mine its an abus granite 54

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

having spoken to a couple of insurance companies, it seems that as it’s 3rd party only it won’t make any difference as locks only affect the theft risk which isn’t considered for 3rd party only, kind of obvious really. So I guess the bike is going and I’ll have to wait until I can do full test and get something bigger

Thanks for the advice
    matt

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did you ask them to quote fully comp, could that actually be cheaper?

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

tried that (and TPF&T), came to about £750 fully comp and £550 TPF&T 🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The thing is, you might spend £100-£150 on a lock to save 10% on your insurance, which obviously isn’t worth it. The same goes for alarms. And in 2-3 years time you might find it doesn’t qualify any more.
    (This is why I don’t waste money on alarms)
    Datatag or Smartwater is cheaper and more permenant and will get the same discount.
    Other than that I’m assuming that as a bigger bike isn’t an option that you are on L plates? If so, passing your test will make the biggest difference. You should, as you are experienced, be able to pass on your own bike with a day’s worth of tuition. This is what I did! It cost me £100 all in, including test fee, but that was a long time ago. I’d imagine you could pass your test for n ot much more than the price of an expensive lock.
    Other than that, have you REALLY shopped around enough? Have you used the price comparison websites? Most of them do bike insurance now.

Just to make you sick, we insure a Ducati ST3s for £150 fully comp for 2 riders and a Vespa GT 200 for £56, again, fully comp, 2 riders.

Age helps, my IAM qualification helps, location helps though… 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Odd that it should go up so much just for a postcode change if it’s not covered for theft, do people in Sheffield get hit more by bikers? I’d shop around for alternative insurers.

banks
    Free Member

Got the same bike, apparently insurance has gone up due to more & more people buying 125s – so insurers are cashing in supposedly

rocketman
    Free Member

Just to make you sick, we insure a Ducati ST3s for £150 fully comp

£67 FC for an ’07 R1

It’s great being old!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

£67 FC for an ’07 R1

That’s good going. 🙂

Ours is for 2 named riders, including commuting though…..

rocketman
    Free Member

I commute on mine as well but it’s just for me, restricted mileage and no passengers because it doesn’t have a passenger seat or pegs 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We both ride the ST3. I’m quite happy on the back these days too. It’s amazing how many miles you can cover with 2 riders: 300/day is no bother 🙂

weeksy

I have Almax series IV’s for both my motorbikes and both pushbikes.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike lock to reduce insurance cost, what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.