• This topic has 106 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by grum.
Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Most frightening film ever made
  • mickyfinn
    Free Member

It’s ghost/creepy films for me, hack slash gore horror just don’t do it. An no I don’t believe in ghosts I just like ghost stories.

The Changeling (1980) with George C Scott 🙂

Blackflag
    Free Member

If you have 2min 41sec to spare, treat yourselves to this. Its called Lights Out and was winner of a “make a horror film in under 3 mins” competition. Its all the about the jump scares. Enjoy….

tintim

“The Thing”
    Remember having nightmares from the scene when they were trying to resuscitate one of the characters.

racefaceec90

Blackflag
    Free Member

ha ha the nurse scene. brilliant. scared the living shit out of me years ago when i first saw that.

nicko74

Yeah video games definitely trump films in their ability to actively scare you.

I had to stop playing “Silent Hill” at one point as it just got too scary and weird

There’s probably something there about how films are portraying (a) reality, but video games rely on your filling in the gaps yourself (because of the graphics, the controls etc), and so can get inside your head more.

I couldn’t stand Funny Games – it just annoyed me more than anything. The Vanishing I remember Kermode saying was the most terrifying film he’d ever seen that isn’t the Exorcist; having read a quick precis of the plot I definitely won’t be watching it. It sounds like it really does that thing of generating dread and horror through seemingly mundane and everyday scenes, almost the exact opposite of gore.

martinhutch

I remember Kermode saying was the most terrifying film he’d ever seen

Kermode knows his horror!

Must admit I prefer psychological stuff to out-and-out creepfests or slasher movies. Most tense I’ve felt recently was ‘Don’t Breathe’ – also liked ’10 Cloverfield Lane’.

Looking back at the films that made a big impression when I was younger, The Dead Zone with Christopher Walken pops up in my memory. Also, weirdly, the last few minutes of a 1970s thriller called ‘The Medusa Touch’ with Richard Burton as a coma patient with telekinetic powers!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I can’t really remember it well but deathwatch was a bit good for the frightenings wasn’t it?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I was trying to find that Lights Out clip! Brilliant…

footflaps

On the subject of the Shining, watched the sequel, Dr Sleep, the other day, really enjoyed it so can’t be that frightening as I’m a bit of a wet girls blowse when it comes to horror.

howarthp

Always found the Japanese films like ‘The Ring’ scary. Earliest memory I have of a horror movie is ‘Horror Express’ that I saw when I was 7. Pedestrian now but scared the living daylights out of me for years.

Quite like this shortie on Youtube.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I believe Hereditary is terrifying but I havent seen it???

It’s a good film, and creepy throughout, but never really pap your pants scary.

P-Jay
    Free Member

‘Us’ is a pretty good film, saw that at the weekend, but is starts scary and becomes increasingly less so as it carries on.

holmes81
    Free Member

Original IT when I was too young.

Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer and Cape Fear. Both seen shortly after we had been burgled. Again way to young for both of those.

funkmasterp

I’m useless with horror films and tend to avoid them. Don’t mind a good home invasion film though. Event Horizon freaked me out mainly because I thought it was just a sci-fi film. Rented it out and watched it one night whilst alone and high. Stayed up all night with the lights on. I wasn’t expecting that.

It’s tied with American Werewolf in London. My auntie let me and my brother watch it when I was seven and he was about eleven. She was looking after us as my brother was ill. He had a fever that night and properly freaked out. I shared a room with him and all I can remember is me crying and him screaming. It’s a great film, but still makes me feel uneasy to this day.

Cougar

I had to stop playing “Silent Hill” at one point as it just got too scary and weird

Silent Hill had its moments for sure. The memorable one for me was early on in the ‘normal’ reality there’s a filing cabinet rattling away to itself, you tentatively open it and… a cat jumps out. Then later on you find the same cabinet in the hell dimension… Mind**** much?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Psycho terrified me when I watched it . I wasn’t much older than 10 at the time though .
    My daughters were so scared by The Legend of Sleepy Hollow that they wouldn;t go to bed on their own for a long time afterwards . They were also very young when they watched it .
    Midnight Express disturbed me in adult life for some time after I watched it .

mildred

Hellraiser for me – still can’t watch it again.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Anything with Zombies….. I hate Zombies

Even a poor Zombie shoot’em up game on a phone will get my heart pounding and adrenaline pumping.

Bloody Zombies, not quite sure what it is about them…. their relentlessness maybe or maybe just the metaphor of the masses uncontrolled that scares the life outta me.

nobbingsford

The only film that’s given me nightmares is Irréversible. It’s not a horror film, but it is horrific – I do not recommend it.

Totally agree with @retro83. Irreversible really stuck with me for a long time after watching it.

Not for the faint-hearted.

jimmy

+1 for The Road. It’s one of my favourite films, yet in not sure I’ll watch it more than once. The human meat cellar scene still churns in my mind.

The one film I can’t bring myself to watch is the Human Centipede. Just no. The idea horrifies me.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Has ‘dont look now’ come up? Always regarded as one of the best British films ever

It has the best air of creepiness and sense of foreboding of any film I’ve ever seen

SPOILER ALERT: It’s not the final scene that gives me the chills, it’s the gondola ride when he foresees his own funeral that has just given me shivers thinking about it

fingerbang
    Free Member

It’s tied with American Werewolf in London. My auntie let me and my brother watch it when I was seven and he was about eleven. She was looking after us as my brother was ill. He had a fever that night and properly freaked out. I shared a room with him and all I can remember is me crying and him screaming. It’s a great film, but still makes me feel uneasy to this day.

The horror is balanced out by seeing Jenny agutter half naked though. Same with Monica Bellucci in Irreversible

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I’m still creeped out by the first in the v/h/s series of movies.

If you’re a bloke, you won’t fail to cross your legs towards the end of the movie ‘antichrist’, starring Willem dafoe.

nickc

Event Horizon freaked me out mainly because I thought it was just a sci-fi film

Yep, a bunch of us went to the cinema to watch it, persuading our then girlfriends to come (who wants to see a lame sci-fi!?!) I’m pretty sure the fact that it was a horror wasn’t part of the ad campaign before hand, certainly we didn’t have a clue…

Agree with the comments about games though, some of my biggest jump scares were from those rather than films.

easily
    Free Member

Earlier I said that The Ring was the scariest film I’ve seen, which I stand by.

However, I played a video game called Thief a decade or so ago. There was a chapter where you have to sneak around an abandoned orphanage – I think it was called The Cradle – which was scarier than any film I’ve watched.
    I seem to remember that I paused the game and waited for my flatmate to come home before I continued.

grum
    Free Member

Dead Man’s Shoes had a big impact on me the first time I watched it. Sort of frightening but more just really dark. Great film though.

Candyman scared the bejesus out of me as a kid but I don’t know if it would now.

Blair Witch was dreadful and not at all scary, IMO.

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Most frightening film ever made’ is closed to new replies.