Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Most durable rear shocks 216 x 63
  • mjsmke

So I thought I’d start a new thread following my service price thread to discuss the durability of current shocks.

Rockshox use an aluminium damper shaft which is prone to scoring and they can’t be bought separately. This has put me off buying another monarch though the 2 year warranty is very good.

I can’t find much info on Fox shocks though and whether it’s worth spending the extra?

Neb

Have you considered a coil shock? (Assuming your frame can use one) Less things to go wrong so generally more reliable and better performing, but heavier.

mjsmke

I haven’t ruled it out.

What would you recommend?

It’ a Whyte T130 in small so I guess the only real restriction is the overall size of the shock and I don’t think there’s enough space for a piggy back shock.

poah
    Free Member

they aren’t prone to scoring.  if the shaft is scoring there is another issue at fault.

mjsmke

they aren’t prone to scoring.  if the shaft is scoring there is another issue at fault.

So maybe it was from a bad batch? It was kept clean and there was no dirt inside.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Regular maintenance is the best one, that and good cleaning

mjsmke

It had regular maintenance and was kept clean. The scoring was on the damper shaft inside the shock. The shaft is aluminium so wondering if a shock with a steel damper shaft would be more durable?

Looking at coil shocks I quite like the spec of the CD DB Coil LL but have no experience with coil shocks at all.

poah
    Free Member

coils are awesome – I have one on my suppressor

cyclelife
    Free Member

Replaced Monarch on my Mega with DB  coil it’s so much better, get the IL  version if you’re stuck for space to get the piggy back in.

mjsmke

Ill give TF Tuned a call tomorrow and ask them about the DB Coil on their site. I’d rather buy a shock from someone like them for the support and after sales. They said the scors on my Monarch’s damper wasn’t due to lack of service/dirt, and that the damper inside is aluminium so can happen as the frame flexes.

Are there any other coil shocks to consider that don’t have a piggy back?

mjsmke

Anyone have any recommendations for a 216 x 63 shock? Really struggling to find something without a piggy back in the right length. Can go up to about £400 new.

poah
    Free Member

you don’t need a piggyback

cane creek IL coil in 216×63 is what I run on my suppressor

mjsmke

you don’t need a piggyback

I know. My point is i’m struggling to find anything else in the right size. Has your shock been reliable? And what did you mean about if the shaft is scorn there is another issue at fault? Its the damper shaft inside and not the main air shaft.

lawman91

DB IL coil might be one of the few non-piggyback options, not many manufacturers sell 216×63 shocks without a piggy back. Have a T130 myself and recently had my Monarch replaced with a Monarch as SRAM dont make the standard Monarch in that size anymore. Fox make the DPS in that size but it’ll be over budget. Singletrack reviewed a DT Swiss shock on a T130 not long ago, might be worth checking out that review

bigyan
    Free Member

Scored Monarchs are common at the moment, however Monarchs are also common at the moment.

Last 4 I have stripped for service all had scored shafts, 3 were within warranty and replaced.

I “think” yokes exasperate the issue by increasing side load. Metric shocks have increased bushing overlap.

Wear on one side of the shaft is common on Monarchs on Whytes.

Fox shocks seem better sealed, but would need to see some in long term use on the same bikes to say if it would resolve the issue.

Have you had a look for a new old stock float 216×63? I would be tempted to give a fox a shot if you are buying a new one anyway as the chances are a Monarch will do the same thing again in a similair timeframe.

mjsmke

Thanks for the replies. I’ve been looking for old stock shocks all day but not found anything.

I’m hoping the Monarchs just have a particularly soft material and other shocks don’t.

The DT R414 could be a good option. Reviews look good and affordable too. I’m quite worried about finding something that will fit.

bigyan
    Free Member

There are 216×63 fox shocks on ebay.de

mjsmke

Right, i’ve done a lot of research and the answer (I think) might be to use a shock mounted with a spherical bearing like the DT’s so lateral forces are less likely to damage the shock due to frame flex.

The DT shocks do look nice. If they are not available I’m wondering if a spherical bearing could be installed into another shock, Rockshox, Fox etc?

lawman91

Madison have the R414 in stock so most LBS’ should be able to get hold of one within a few days.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I do know a few people who have changed their monarchs to cane creek IL C CS on their t13os with great affect and rave about them. Im looking at a replacement for my monarch plus on my 160 ,id like to change to the db cs air which according to TF will fit but I think it will be to tight.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

If its a carbon T130 you can rule out coils as they wont clear the frame. I have seen them on larger alloy T130s but not sure about a small.

If side loads/twisting from the frame are breaking your damper, then you need new frame bearings before you start blaming the shock. The bridgeless seatstays make the more important on a T130 as bearing wear can introduce extra flex.

I’ve had scoring in the piggyback on my Monarch plus, but I assume that was due to a build error on my side and the part was easily replaced. Otherwise it has been very reliable and I really like the ML3 tune with a lighter oil on my t130. Plus you can pick them up for peanuts!

oikeith

So maybe it was from a bad batch? It was kept clean and there was no dirt inside.

My riding buddy had a t130 and the shock failed dramatically with the shock ending up more parallel to the seat tube, collapsing the rear triangle and bringing the rear wheel in past the left side of the seat tube.

Rockshox took a look at the shock and said it had worn on one side before giving up the ghost. Whyte did nothing except charge him for a new shock and rear triangle…

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

My riding buddy had a t130 and the shock failed dramatically with the shock ending up more parallel to the seat tube, collapsing the rear triangle and bringing the rear wheel in past the left side of the seat tube.

Again, frame bearings (or a loose bolt) at fault here. This shouldn’t be possible even with no shock fitted.

mjsmke

I’ll double check the bearings. There’s no play but still worth a strip and check. I still think the spherical bearings on the DT shock will really help though allowing the shock to move a bit more freely without flexing.

mjsmke

Ok, so just been talking to TF Tuned who have been really helpful so I’m very grateful to them. I asked about DT’s spherical bearings to allow the shock to move as the frame flexes and they said it should help, but they said the DT shocks dont last and I’m better off going for something else. The only other new shocks that will fit are Fox or maybe Cane Creek.

They also said Rockshox use bushings that are so tight the shock has no room for lateral movement which can cause premature wear. So i’m looking for a solution for bushings that do allow some lateral movement and rotation of the shock. Ideally spherical bearings but cant find any that will come close to fitting a shocks eyelet. Or will Betd’s hula hoops allow some movement?

mjsmke

Got my shock back yesterday so thought I’d have a look inside to see the damage. The scoring is only one hairline scratch on the damper shaft right up at the seal head. I couldn’t even see it by eye but can feel it with a finger nail. And it’  not really on one side, it’s more the underside of the damper shaft when mounted. Appart from that the shock is in almost new condition so I’m wondering if the scratch has always been there from new and just work the seal between the air chamber and damper chamber?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Fro rear shocks – anything by fox just seems to work and work well (iv stopped servicing rear shocks) – they are always completely clean inside

Forks I prefer Rockshox

mjsmke

Had a bit of free time today due to work being closed so did a bit of testing with an image of a monarch plus printed dull size cut out to see if it would fit. Turns out it does! The compression lever might be a bit close to the downturn when in firm mode but I can always make a custom lever that’s smaller.

Now I know I don’ been a piggy back shock but my choices of shocks are limited due to the eye to eye length of 216. Is the Monarch plus likely to be the most reliable or is it still worth paying a little more for the Fox DPS factory?

lawman91

I’ve got a Monarch Plus on my T130C RS, but only just got it as a warranty replacement as Rockshox don’t produce the normal Monarch in 216x63mm size. Honestly I think it’ll be a bit hit or miss, I’ve seen plenty that are fine but working in the trade I’ve also seen a few Monarch Plus’s stuck down as well. Fingers crossed mine will be ok! Have also seen my fair share of Fox shock issues as well though, so you could punt for the Fox and still end up with a duff shock. I have read reviews that say the T130 doesn’t feel as good with a Fox shock, it’s overdamped and harsh, so would likely need a custom tune on top, further adding to the expense. As I say I’ve only had it one ride but my Monarch Plus with an ML tune seems pretty good, I know have suggested the ML3 tune which is the lightest Rockshox offer but either will likely do the job just fine.

I’ve got my Monarch Plus with some TF Tuned low-friction bushings and they seem to have noticeably less resistance, the standard Rockshox mount kits are shite as has been said elsewhere. Also worth bearing in mind that with a Monarch Plus on a large frame I can only use a 650mm water bottle, a 710ml Camelback bottle wouldn’t clear the reservoir, so on a small frame you might not be able to fit a bottle at all with any piggy back shock.

strike
    Free Member

I’d opt for the Fox DPS – not sure if it’s still the case, but when I bought a brand new CTD shock which required a custom-tune, Mojo did it for only £45 as being brand new, no seals needed replacing so that could be an option for you?

Also TFT are bang-on with the advice on DT shocks – in my experience they’re nothing but trouble plus no custom tuning options.

mjsmke

Thanks Iawman91. I definitely won’t have space for a bottle but never use them anyway.

The Monarch plus does seem the safest option tune wise. My standard monarch felt great with an ML tune so I’m guessing the plus in the same tune will feel the same.

I’ll most likely be getting the shock from TF Tuned so can always get a custom tune on the Fox. I didn’t know about the Fox feeling overdamped and harsh.

mjsmke

Ah i ment LS tune Low rebound and Soft compression. My LBS has some old Fox DHX 5’s going for £100 but don’t know if they are as good as the Monarchs.

Finkill

I have had some similar wear issues due to side loading, trying out some of these style bushes to see if they are more sympathetic to the shock https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323091014735?chn=ps&adgroupid=53230614440&rlsatarget=pla-399663134520&abcId=1130086&adtype=pla&merchantid=115671648&poi=&googleloc=9045966&device=c&campaignid=1029029252&crdt=0

mjsmke

I have had some similar wear issues due to side loading

Where exactly was the wear? Mine turned out to be a single scratch on the 10mm damper shaft inside the shock.

Finkill

Yeah it was some scoring on the shaft.

Hopefully the igus bushes add a bit of give in the assembly, time will tell.

mjsmke

I just can’t decide if i should go for another Monarch (plus this time) or a Fox DPS. Either option would be tuned for my weight and frame before installing.

poah
    Free Member

try a Manitou macleod

mjsmke

Anyone know if any of the Cane Creek shocks will fit a Whyte T130?

poah
    Free Member

air can clearance you mean?  looks like it should.  let the air out and see how close the monarch aircan comes to the top tube.

mjsmke

Air can clearance should be fine. It’s the adjustment dials and climb lever at the other end I’m worried about.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Most durable rear shocks 216 x 63’ is closed to new replies.