Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • More Capra Help
  • goofy15
    Free Member

Hi, yes I know another capra post, but it is my first post so take it easy.
    I ride varied terrain from fast flowing pedally blues, to natural wooded runs, and occasionally a bit of proper downhill, this year I did an endure race, and plan to do a couple next year. My current bike is a full sus with 140mm rear and 150mm fork.
    I was looking at getting my first new bike, and suppose have partly been taken in by the hype and component list. I was looking at a Capra AL1, but left it too late and they sold out, so I have very stretched my budget and order the Capra Pro, and am now questioning if I was hasty in ordering it.
    The main areas I am looking for some advise with are.
    Slack 65.2 HA – my current bike is a bit old school, around 67.5 HA with 60 stem, and 720 bars, I do like fast flowing blue runs, and wonder whether this may be detrimental, did think I could always fit a cane creek angleset and steepen to 66.2, which may be a reasonable compromise.
    170mm Suspension – I will use this some of the time, but probably not needed for the majority, will the additional travel be a big problem? With the bos suspension it has LSC adjustment, which I hope would ease any big pedal bob issues on pedally sections. The suspension may make the trails too easy, but I am getting on and a bit of extra comfort, and something to save me if I mess up, may not be a bad thing.
    Sizing – I have ordered the small, I am 5′ 6.5″, with a 31″ inseam. The Capra in small, has the same reach as my bike, but the eTT is 1.2″ shorter, and seat tube 1.2″ shorter. The shorter seat tube will be an advantage as I can only manage a 100mm, dropper on my current 17″ bike, I think the shorter eTT would be compensated by the shorter stem, and wider bars?
    I am swithering over cancelling my order, down to the above issues, alternatives I have looked at are Lapierre Zesty 527, SC Bronson, Turner Burner, or Transition Patrol. But for the same money the components are very poor, and would end up changing many parts.
    With the extra for the Pro model, I cant justify keeping my current bike, so I need to know I have a suitable one bike to do it all.
    Any advice gratefully received, sorry for all the queries and detail.
    Thanks

RS4KEV

You really need to try one, you can tie yourself up with all the measurements. I’m 5’10” and bought a medium. Bit marginal on that or a large but happy with decision. Seem to be loads around now so hopefully you can try one. I’m in the Purbecks area if any help.

Kev

siloseven
    Free Member

quick answers as I’m off to bed;

head angle, never bothered me.
    Pedal bob, not a problem when seated but forks have no lock-out so bob a lot if you stand.
    travel, yes it’s a lot and a bit much for most things but if you only have one bike it means you’re not limited.
    Size, can’t really comment but if the reach is the same it can’t be that far off. However, over an inch less on ETT is a lot so i’d think carefully about that. Don’t forget that the pro comes with a 40mm stem as well so may feel even shorter depending on what you use now.

goofy15
    Free Member

RS4Kev, and Siloseven,

Thanks for the quick responses, been out of communication the last day, some of the problems with rural Scotland.

RS4KEV,
    Have spoken to a couple folk about with them, generally folk very geared up for enduro, but not found any in small, and they all feel strange going from my current bike. Think will take getting used to even with the right size.
    At around 5’6.5″ I should be according to YT in the small, and as mentioned the reach is the same as my current.

Siloseven,
    I like fast flowing singletrack, as well as varying degrees of downhill, just concerned it would be a big disadvantage to the flowing singletrack, for an all out downhill, which will be more than I need for some of it. Check the stem after you mentioned, the 2015 Pro is a 50mm stem, think the difference between the pro and the pro race. current stem is 60mm, but the capra bars are much wider, mainly concerned with the downs, so not been too concerned on the climbing side.

Suspension, would have prefered the RS Pike RCT3, currently have RS REv RCT3, but sold out before got the chance, have thought about cancel the order and wait until new 2016 bikes, but romours are would be around April for delivery? And going by popularity prices may go up?The main concern was whether the 170mm would be too much for the fast flowing stuff, ideally I was looking at 150mm both ends, is the extra 20mm going to make much difference, lack of lock out is probably more of a concern?, more wondering if the forks will be ok when powering flat downhill sections standing up.

Other bikes I have looked at fro the same price are very similar to current bike but with 650b wheels, and poor spec, or similar to the capra with poor spec, starting to think I’ll just let it come and try it out. Planning couple of enduros this coming year so should make some full use out of it.

Thanks again for any responses.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll be dissapointed with the Capra goofy. I use mine for all kinds of riding, in the NE and the Lakes, and it does a good job of all of it.

traildog
    Free Member

The Capra is an Enduro bike and is a very good one. However, I am really not sure it’s the ideal bike for you given what you are describing. If ideally you want a 150mm bike then you should go for one of them. The Capra is light, pedals well, climbs well, but it’s a slack 160+ enduro bike and there is no getting away from that.

Perhaps have a look at something less enduro orientated? Don’t worry about the level of components, they will wear and you’ll replace them when they do. All components work well, even the lower level ones – they are just heavier and often don’t last as well. I suspect you want a more all round trail bike.

Bedds
    Free Member

I’ve got a Capra Pro, I’m 5’10 and went with Medium, previously I rode a Medium Anthem.

In terms of my riding, it’s pretty similar to you, I was getting beaten up doing stuff like Quantocks and so wanted more travel.

I really believe that the Capra is a one bike for all, the blokes I ride with are all on 160 / 170mm bikes and they aren’t slow, nor does it stop them doing long days in the hills or quick blasts locally.

Like others have said, you may need to try one, if you’re on Facebook then look at the UK YT Industries group, it’s very active and very helpful, getting on there may help you to get a trial ride.

I don’t think you’ll regret the purchase, I love mine

goofy15
    Free Member

Hi,

thanks for all the responses.

To give you a better idea, I stay in the North of Scotland, and although I spend a bit of time on blues and reds, the main trails I like, and usually go to are Golspie, Laggan, sometimes Glenlivet red, occasionally Fort Bill, red, and a couple of slowish runs down the main downhill, also Torridon trails.
    As mentioned I probabily was ideally looking for a 150mm travel full sus bike, if any body has some possible alternatives, but from what everybody has said dont think the capra would be too far out of the box? I have thought if I find the HA too slack, I could fit a Angleset and steepen a bit to around 66.2, may be a compromise, but better all round? I am not big on the climbs, see them more as a necessity.
    Thanks

deviant
    Free Member

Look at the bikes on the ‘Rose’ website, not quite as extreme as the Capra in terms of travel and geometry but equally as good value re. components. I think they do a 150mm travel bike in Alu that might be suitable for what you’re describing.
    The Granite Chief is the one I’m thinking of… If you’ve got your heart set on 160mm travel and Enduro type riding then they do one called the Uncle Jimbo which is closer to the Capra….ignore the crap names they’re great bikes.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Agree, I’d buy a Rose over a Crapra any day. What about a wicked? I have just got an Orbea Rallon and of course have to recommend it, it’s a pedalling machine and feels like a downhill bike when you aim it down the way.

I’d be loathe to get a bike with shorter reach. Longer puts you in a better attack position and more effective for climbing.

Bird Aeris is worth a look too.

goofy15
    Free Member

Thanks Deviant, I’ll have a look at the rose bikes, I have heard of them, but not had a close look.
    Cheers

gelert
    Free Member

Orange Five territory? They’ll do way more than you’d expect and easy sub 30 lbs. They’re a total hoot to ride. Definitely add one to your list. The new one is awesome but 2nd hand 2011-2013 models with Maxle rears are still amazing.

hainman
    Free Member

I cant really comment on the bike but have ridden a lot of where you ride,I would reckon a 170mm bike would be awesome on the FB DH track,and the Red,rode Laggan loads of times and think 170mm again would be fine up there,I reckon i would rather have to much travel than not enough,I have a 170mm Kona and a 150mm Reign and Funnily enough was thinking of selling both soon for a 170mm bike that would cover me for all eventualities instead of carting my two bikes around,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘More Capra Help’ is closed to new replies.