• This topic has 32 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Mondeo Estate questions
  • swisstony
    Free Member

My car saga continues and i’m back onto Mondeo’s. I know ideally the one to go for is the 2.0TDCi 130 but will i notice much of a difference with the 115 as they seem to be better priced, can 15bhp make that much difference.

Also, LX, Ghia etc is this just to do with spec, interior toys and alloys etc?

And what are the service intervals, particulary the cambelt?

Lastly, any common problems/faults to look out for when buying second hand (4,05,06)

thanks

Simon

uplink
    Free Member
    big_n_daft
    Free Member

dual mass flywheel goes on them which is an expensive job

LX, Ghia etc is the trim spec someone else will tell you which way round

they are very long cars as well

other than that they are supposed to be good, finding a nice one is the hard part

steveh

I’ve got a 115 hatch and had a 130 one before. You can definitely tell the difference but the 115 is fine unless you like to cane it about. I also get about 5mpg better from it than the previous 130.

Yes lx, ghia etc is just different specs not anything important and to be hnoest lx gives you everything you could need.

For common problems look at the model by model breakdown at http://www.honestjohn.co.uk. Service is 12k i think and chain cam from memory.

hora
    Free Member

Nevermind mondeo’s tell me about your GTV!

failedengineer

Zetec is a good spec – everything you could reasonably want. 130 BHP is excellent.

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks guys i’ll look on honestjohn

hora, i emailed you direct to the address in your profile, if you haven’t got it let me know.

StuF

The 115 is ok, the only time i need any more power is when accelerating to move out on the motorway – its fine it could just do with a bit more.

The ghia has a few more toys (nicer sony stereo, auto lights and wipers)

timber

I have 130 and a friend the 115, neither of us like to hang around and he finds his a bit sluggish when pushed to overtake, think the 130 hits its power earlier than the 115 which is probably more to do with it

Picked mine up as a cheap high miler last month, so waiting to find the problems, know it’ll be pretty cheap to right being a ford though

-m-
    Free Member

LX -> Zetec -> Ghia -> Ghia X / Titanium X

Zetec is probably the best bet. Ghia gets climate control (Zetec has manual aircon). Ghia X / Titanium X have leather.

firestarter
    Free Member

depends on year too as the 53 onwards lx gets aircon and cruise control. im currently looking about to update my 96 mondeo estate, still going strong just fancy a change 😉

swisstony
    Free Member

there seems to be alot more 115’s around and for better money, the 130 obviously being the sort after model.

what about buying a 115 and getting it chipped?

firestarter
    Free Member

i have heard there have been less problems with the 115 than the 130 clutch but that could be there are less about. im on the lookout for a nice petrol hatch now i think 😉

GTDave
    Free Member

Chipping a 115 could get you a 20-22 bhp increase, but more importantly, an extra 30 Lb/Ft of torque. Check out Superchips.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Sorry, but the Passat Tdi is a massively better car.

hora
    Free Member

Hi Swiss, didnt get it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve had a few Mondeos, currently have a 2.0l TDCi 115bhp Estate (I think it’s a Zetec). The only problem I’ve had with all the Mondeos is they seem to wear tyres to the thread on the inside. I’ve occasionally tried having the ‘tow in’, balance, wheel alignment blah blah blah checked, but to no avail. They consistently seem to have this problem for me. lucky I just have 15″ alloys on the current one so tyres are still cheap anyways. Only other issue is the rattling catches (back door and/or back seats, not sure which) which was solved with some electrical tape. Otherwise, fantastic cars if you’re not really into cars.

Sonor
    Free Member

Sorry, but the Passat Tdi is a massively better car.

Don’t you mean a massively overated car? 😉

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Just got a 130bhp Zetec ’07 (old model)estate – as previously mentioned, great car for those that aren’t petrol heads.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Vee Dubs,overated cars shurely shome mishtake??

Speshpaul

Now Tony didn’t we do this about a month ago.
    You want a 130 PS Titanium or Ghia minimum Better still a Ti X or Ghia X.

A superchip will be £400 (Blue Fin) plus your insurance. I’d just get a 130ps. But there are other cheaper chips (Dragon Box) that plug in to fueling system and remap it from there rather than from the ECU.

Mondeo Mk3 was pretty much the class leader for handling, and the Tdci is a heavy, front wheel drive engine. So good handling encourages encouragable drivers and get bad ones out of trouble. That, a heavy engine and FWD will always wear the inside off your tyres.
    You should what a ST220 will do to a pair.

Any questions drop me a line
    Cheers
    Paul

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks all,

Paul, yes we did but they’re been alot of mind changing since then!

Hora, here’s the email

Mine is a 1999 2.0 TS Lusso, with 90,000. I’ve had for over 4 yrs and it’s been brilliant.

It has had it’s alfa foibles, though no electical problems apart from the air bag connectors under the seat which need soldering and certainly nothing i’ve had to spend money on. As you’ve said you’ll need the bushings replaced with powerflex poly bushings if they haven’t been done already.

The only other to watch is the cambelt as originaly alfa recommended a 70,000 mile interval but general consensus it to play safe and half that, so 35,000 or 3 yrs, mine is due and i’ll be getting it done soon, there won’t be much change from £500 as you need a new variator, water pump and a few other bits and bobs, plus i’m having it done at Peak Alfa for piece of mind.

They do have a bad reputation for faults but i think this is unjustified if you look after them. It did break down once a couple of years ago when the clutch slave cylinder boot split but a new one cost me £20 and i fitted it myself.

Off to look at chipping now!

dtp555
    Free Member

Used to have a 04 130tdci ghia x. Fantastic car, would swallow bike with wheels on. Ghia X was top spec with cruise and leather etc. Would recommend cruise for motorway miles, other toys not needed. they have a timing chain, not belt with a 100K change on them. DMF is main concern. you can hear it rattle fairly obvoiusly when letting clutch out. Will cost £1K from fords to do with a new clutch at the same time. EGR valve hoses also split and power is lost. £20 job for that though.
    Overall top cars 50mpg from 130 if you dont cane it.

slimtubing
    Free Member

I have an ’02 2 litre petrol duratec(140 hp), the car is virtually faultless, done 150,000 km and still smooth as silk, auto box is a little sluggish on kickdown but apart from that long trips are a pleasure. Spec is reasonable (A/C, 6 speaker CD, overdrive) loads of airbags and a much nicer cabin than its vauxhall counterpart. Also cavernous boot and plenty legroom for rear passengers. Will definately get another.

deus

current (i think) the owner of dtp555’s mondeo,
    very happy with it, now if only it was about 3 feet shorter and yet had the same tardis like boot capacity it would be perfect!

you up for a ride somewhere on Sunday Dave?
    I’m going shopping (joy) on saturday and then off to see an Arthur Millar play in’t evening.

sonicste
    Free Member

Hi i own 04 plate 2.0tdc115bhp lx estate, but wanted the 130 6speed zetec but couldn’t find a decent low milage one.(rocking horse poo -spring to mind)
    There are also alot of dog rough ones about (beware)

I was really concerned at first regarding dual mass fly wheel issues,
    bottom pulley rattles, and injector/ diesel pump failure, all well documented expensive jobs on the net.
    These cars are popular and sought after with taxi drivers,caravanners and dog owners so finding a low milage decent one that hadn’t been sold that morning took me while to track down.

I’ve had mine two years i’ve covered 75000 miles (current milage 105000 on clock) and apart from a few tyres and regular servicing i can say it’s been a great drive.Fantastic boot space and really reliable.

If you find a good 130 fantastic, but if a good value low milage 115 is available i wouldn’t hesitate.

Good luck

hora
    Free Member

Ta Paul/Swiss. Yep- from what Ive readup soo far- go for a GTV thats been serviced on the dot religiously and ideally for me- as few a previous-owners as possible. Ideally a 02/03 petrol with red leather/grey paint – failing that tan leather with grey paint

hora
    Free Member

Swisstony- can you get a bike rack onto a GTV?

swisstony
    Free Member

I haven’t tried though one of those clip on halfords ones may fit on the boot lid. My brother had one for an old 3 series which i’m sure would fit, very similar size flat boot. I can get my bike in the back seats though with the wheels in the passenger seat. You can’t fit a towbar either just in case you wondered.

Have you seen one you like?

Riofer
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of the 2.2Tdci engine. Is it worth the extra over the 2.0? I presume the same common problems mentioned above apply?

Rio

Rich
    Free Member

You’ll notice the difference in torque more than the power. How do they compare?

Riofer
    Free Member

The 2.2 is a 155 compared to the 2.0 at 130. I’ll try and track down a dealer with both and give them a try soon but was just wondering if anyone had already done the comparisson.

hora
    Free Member

Have you seen one you like?

Still looking….

Bike in the back…wheels on roof etc etc:

http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/boot/alfa-romeo-gtv-boot-rack.htm

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Mondeo Estate questions’ is closed to new replies.