Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 505 total)
  • "Modern cars are too powerful for UK roads"
  • njee20
    Free Member

Dipped in and out of this thread, as i don’t really give a shit about most of the willy waving and can’t believe its still going on. But Jimjam is there any reason you’re not saying what it is you have…? Seems that’s at least half the posts.

thooms
    Free Member

*Modern cars are too powerful for dickheads.

Those Sierras are so righteous. Love seeing those around 😀 Definitely too powerful for dickheads, that one.

jimjam
    Free Member

njee20 But Jimjam is there any reason you’re not saying what it is you have…? Seems that’s at least half the posts.

I thought I did explain. So I can take the brand moral high ground against anyone else, obviously 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I was assuming we’re now playing a guessing game.

jimjam
    Free Member

Never mind what I drive. it’s quick enough to give me perspective on quick cars. Leave it at that.

aracer
    Free Member

Nope.

jimjam
    Free Member

Which is why I was struggling to give you a straight answer.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have no idea what this thread is about now, but I am always in awe of the awsomeness of the pro drivers who make progress up and down our estate.

aracer
    Free Member

You’ll be thinking of one of these:

jimjam
    Free Member

monkeychild – Member

I have no idea what this thread is about now,

I dared to suggest bikes weren’t “all that” since I could easily keep up with them on a road I’d driven a few thousand times. Now apparently I have to prove it to people who weren’t there.

jimjam
    Free Member

aracer – Member

You’ll be thinking of one of these:

That’s 90s though.

aracer
    Free Member

It is – the 80s ones weren’t 4×4. If you’re after something 80s, turbo, 4×4 and bigger than a Delta then I think we’re out of options.

thooms
    Free Member

This is the internet – proof is always required!

I’m with you, monkeychild. Watching the omnipotent Driving Gods at work is always a sight to see.

Edit: Also, see above…

Cougar

I’m sure somebody on this thread recently described Mondeos as dull to drive, though I’m guessing he wasn’t using the same criteria as Cougar

I dunno, my previous car was a Mondeo and it was a hoot, an absolute joy to drive. Best car I’ve had and second most comfortable.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, was just coming back to the thread to post one of those – though I’m fairly sure that’s a 90s one. This claims to be 1986. I think they also claimed it was an estate!

moshimonster
    Free Member

It’s strange that you talk about bikers (i.e. the human element) but cars (the mechanical element) as if all car drivers have consummate driving skills.

I guess you totally missed my point that bikes require a lot more skill to ride properly fast.

Northwind

jimjam – Member

I dared to suggest bikes weren’t “all that” since I could easily keep up with them on a road I’d driven a few thousand times.

Except in your own post you accepted it was entirely down to those riders, nothing to do with the capability of bikes. But you seems like you’re mostly up for an argument, even if it’s with yourself

thooms
    Free Member

aracer – You’re right, i cheated there as i think the 90s one looks more mighty…

To be fair, it’s straight line performance that’s at issue here, rather than cornering. It’s probably a fair assumption that someone who can make a decent fist of riding a bike found a corner can, by extension, move their wrist slightly to open the throttle on the straights.

As such, chances are they weren’t really trying – rendering the whole argument unnecessary. Still curious to know what jimjam was driving though. Can we have another clue? In line or vee?

epicyclo

thooms – Member
    …Still curious to know what jimjam was driving though.

Surfmat’s old car?

moshimonster
    Free Member

i recently bought a boxter s. Took it up to 90 on the motorway and it felt a lot scarier than my old ibiza cupra. 270 bhp and ive used about 150 of them max. Its basically like my Enduro bike, ie far far more capable than I’ll ever be.

I don’t understand how people can get anywhere near the limits of a car like that.

Truth is that most people don’t, even when they think they are driving very very quickly. When you’ve been around professional motor racing as long as I have you realise how slow you actually are as an ordinary driving enthusiast. In the context of your Enduro bike, it’s like dreaming you could keep up with the likes of Graves.

It’s just the same for the bike butters too, most can’t even scratch the surface of their superbike’s capability.

epicyclo

moshimonster – Member
    …It’s just the same for the bike butters too, most can’t even scratch the surface of their superbike’s capability.

and stay alive.

user-removed
    Free Member

Unbearably giant egos, slogging it out once again. Go buy a bicycle then come and report back to us.

TheFlyingOx

I got fed up of the cloak & dagger act from jimjam so I did a bit of snooping.

It’s a Subaru Legacy GTB Twin Turbo.

The reason for not telling us is a bit of a non sequitur. Jimjam hasn’t told anyone because people on here know him and it would defeat the purpose of having a sleeper. But saying you have a sleeper to people who know you lets those people know that your “average family estate” is very much a Q car.

shifter
    Free Member

All that for a GTB? Sheesh.

epicyclo

The Flying Ox – Member
    I got fed up of the cloak & dagger act from jimjam so I did a bit of snooping.
    It’s a Subaru Legacy GTB Twin Turbo…

The MI6 award goes to The Flying Ox.

To be fair to jimjam, that’s a very capable car, and I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t enjoy the occasional game of turkey hunting against bumper-hugging German cars himself – why else go stealth?

When I lived in Oz, the bumper huggers tended to be in large Ozzie V8s with enormous tyres and blistering acceleration, so it used to be entertaining in my Subaru to have them up the clacker just before a tight corner in the wet and then go through without slackening off. I hope jimjam isn’t that immature. 🙂

I’m sure I’d enjoy driving it, but there’s no way that car is equal to a decent motorbike.

jimjam
    Free Member

epicyclo

I’m sure I’d enjoy driving it, but there’s no way that car is equal to a decent motorbike.

If I said that, then I take it back. But I’m pretty sure simply buying any car or bike doesn’t give you skill to use it or psychic knowledge of a road you’ve never ridden/driven. It’s impressive how partisan people are, and just how quick they are to start shouting liar or troll, or indeed that I must have been a cock.

If I start a thread in the bike forum saying how I was riding my trail bike on my local dh track and I smoked some guys on full blown dh bikes, everyone would say, give the poor guys a break, you knew the track, just cause they can afford nice stuff doesn’t mean they should be able to ride etc etc etc, but because a motorbike has an engine presumably it negates the need for any skill on behalf of the rider.

Regardless of what car I’d said bikers would have scoffed. I’m guessing these same guys imagine buying a Nomad will win the EWS for them.

anagallis_arvensis

the bottom line is jim jam unless you drive a Mclaren F1 there’s no way you overtook a gixer whilst keeping to the speed limit if the rider was even half hearted in his attempts to resist your infantile games

jimjam
    Free Member

his attempts to resist your infantile games

Since you were there, I’ll ask again, why were the bikers trying to ride through my car when there were no gaps? Surely they could see the old woman in the micra? Surely when she stopped abruptly to turn off the road they would have noticed that since they were two feet off my bumper? Why were they getting shirty and gesticulating like a group of angry Italian waiters when they squeezed past?

weeksy

I’ll ask again, why were the bikers trying to ride through my car when there were no gaps? Surely they could see the old woman in the micra? Surely when she stopped abruptly to turn off the road they would have noticed that since they were two feet off my bumper? Why were they getting shirty and gesticulating like a group of angry Italian waiters when they squeezed past?

I’m guessing the fact that you may drive like the arsehole you post ?

wilburt
    Free Member

Ten pages in and all that’s been confirmed is that people who think excessively powerful cars are a good idea are deluded.

jimjam
    Free Member

So since I didn’t blaze past a pensioner when it was unsafe I’m an arsehole, cock, liar and troll. 😉

weeksy

So since I didn’t blaze past a pensioner when it was unsafe I’m an arsehole, cock, liar and troll

No, your posts are the reason for that 🙂

Your driving I’ve never seen.

jimjam
    Free Member

Experts have told me, it’s of the cock school.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I dared to suggest bikes weren’t “all that” since I could easily keep up with them on a road I’d driven a few thousand times. Now apparently I have to prove it to people who weren’t there.

I’m no riding god (I’ve raced bikes a bit but only for fun – there was never any likelyhood of me winning anything) and do a lot more car miles than I do bike miles. In all the motorbiking miles I’ve done since passing my test and progressing beyond 125cc bikes I don’t recall ever being passed by a car anywhere other than on a motorway. On the other hand I’ve been passed by bikes about a zillion times when I’ve been driving cars. I’ve passed bikes plenty of times when driving my car as well – but often they’ve been slower bikes, riders clearly not in a hurry, or bikes that were clearly being driven by less competent or less experienced riders.

That’s not to say that a good driver in a quick car couldn’t pass me or keep up with me on some circumstances (especially when I’m on one of my touring bikes rather than my sports bike). I came close to getting passed by a car once over the mountain on the Isle of Man TT circuit. It was a local guy in a Impreza Turbo who was just behind as we headed out of Ramsay. I’d never ridden the road before so lost ground on the slower corners as I didn’t know what was beyond them, but the difference on performance on the straights was such that I always made up enough of a gap that he couldn’t get close enough to pass me when he caught up on the corners. I wasn’t riding what anyone would regard as a quick bike either – I was only on a CBR600. I suspect if I’d been on a Fireblade I might not even have noticed him (and if I’d done a couple of more laps of the TT circuit and therefore knew the road a little I suspect I wouldn’t have noticed him either). That’s all despite my being pretty sure he’s a better driver than me.

Having said all that not everyone rides bikes fast all the time, so plenty of cars will have passed bikes (sometimes by very dangerous driving – I’ve seen quite a bit of that when car drivers seem to want to “prove themselves”, or prove that bikes “aren’t all that”) and plenty of internet driving gods will be on telling us all about it…

weeksy

In your defence, a well driven fast car is a match for a bike on some roads and in some conditions. However, very rarely is it a match for a fast bike on a decent road with a decent rider onboard. I don’t find your posts ridiculous…. but I don’t also put it down to the fact you know the road, they may also have ridden the road thousands of times. they just may not be particularly brilliant riders.

However,on a reasonably surfaced road, dry conditions, you should really be left for dead.

jambalaya
    Free Member

On a public road in general fast cars can’t match fast bikes, on a circuit its a different story.

jimjam
    Free Member

However,on a reasonably surfaced road, dry conditions, you should really be left for dead.

I’d agree with that, but none of that was the case in this instance. The bikes were on NI plates, it happened southern Ireland so they weren’t local either. They seemed to take great umbrage at me driving like a patient, considerate cock.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’d agree with that, but none of that was the case in this instance. The bikes were on NI plates, it happened southern Ireland so they weren’t local.

So what you’re saying is that you passed a tourist once, while he was pootling along enjoying the scenery…?

jimjam
    Free Member

Yes steve. That’s it exactly. Apart from how much of a cock I was about it.

aracer
    Free Member

The OP appears to have forgotten the point he was trying to make with this thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘"Modern cars are too powerful for UK roads"’ is closed to new replies.