Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Modelists – what airbrush
  • dannybgoode

The Airfix thread has got me thinking about getting back into modelling.

One thing I never got into first time round was airbrushing. What airbrush would people recommend for model painting and any tips and tricks on achieving good results?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve still got my DeVilbiss Sprite Major. Double action, it has produced some good results under my talentless hands but not for about 20 years!
    My modelling desk is ready & waiting though with a Merkava Mk1 MBT & a P3C Orion on the go.

Any decent make airbrush (& probably even cheaper ones) will do a good job & I’d say your air supply is more important. I could do witha decent compressor with some reasonable pressure/regulator & very importantly…water traps!

spursn17
    Free Member

I would start off with a Neo for Iwata gravity fed airbrush, it’s fairly cheap (around £60) and will give decent results. Generally it’s like bikes, the more you spend the better the equipment, but just like bikes there comes a point when you’re spending loads for small gains in performance. I use one of these…

Iwata HP-C Plus

Don’t forget that you’re going to need a compressor as well, try and get one with a small air tank if possible, one like this will do…

Cheapo Ebay compressor

njee20
    Free Member

That’s obviously quite a lot to spend, I’ve got this kit, and whilst I’ve no doubt the Neo is a better brush it’s a decent kit, and the results achievable are limited only by my skill level! A far more skilled friend gets brilliant results with it.

Can always buy a Neo, Badger, proper Iwata etc down the line if you’re so inclined.

I must use mine more. Cleaning is a massive ball ache.

spursn17
    Free Member

Sparmax from modeltools.co.uk is another budget brand that’s worth a look, slightly cheaper that the Neo as well.

njee20 that compressor is fine but you’d really notice the difference with a better AB, it’s like going from 8sp Claris to 11sp 105/Ultegra.
    I started with one of those cheap one’s and don’t use it at all now, went from that to a single action Badger 200 (which was fine until it broke), then to a double action Paasche VL which was a bit rubbish, I bought the Neo next and I still use it instead of the Iwata HP-C sometimes.

vongassit
    Free Member

Badger 150 is what I’ve got & it’s streets ahead of my skill level. I also must use mine more & second the cleaning / ball ache issue.

It does feel quite lovely tho.

spursn17
    Free Member

OP, have a look on here and get thoroughly confused! 😀

Britmodeller forum airbrush page

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just asked a workmate what he uses & he said this…

‘My compressor is just a cheapy with no name on it. Cost me 60 quid about 10 years ago. My airbrush is another cheapy, about 50 quid. Its a neo. I got the brush from Halifax modellers world. Got the compy from a model show.’

He shows his WW2 bombers off at shows.

john_drummer
    Free Member

+1 Neo by Iwata, although I have also had a badger 150

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Modelists – what airbrush’ is closed to new replies.