Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best student laptop for christmas?
  • Premier Icon santacoops

Hi all,

Just thought i’d get the opinions of those who may have already bought for their kids or are planning to for christmas.

Anyone have experiences of Chromebooks? Worth it?

Budget would be £3-400. Actual laptop style rather than the touch screen tablet with attached keyboard type.

Thanks all!

Premier Icon tthew

Chromebooks are ace, (over 5 years user here) for their purpose. You can’t install software, so have to rely on web-service for things like word processing and spreadsheets.

I just bought a refurbished laptop for the 6th former in my life, refurbished from Tier 1. That budget would get you a proper hi-spec machine, if you’re not bothered about 2nd hand.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

For a responsive Windows over storage space, I would choose a laptop with a Solid State Drive of 128GB or greater.

I helped my mother in law choose a Hewlett Packard G4 250 with 128GB SSD for £350 in the summer, not sure you can get them now.

As an example…
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/lenovo-b50-156-intel-pentium-laptop-windows-10-4gb-ram-128gb-ssd-black/253-6432.prd?skuId=253-6432

doesn’t look bad at a very quick glance.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Free Member

Another chromebook fan here. We have 4 in the family and I was just looking at getting another today. But research what they’re about first and generally don’t worry about spec. It’s how you use it that matters. Some people are just too close minded to grasp the concept.

My colleague and I have been running two companies on them for over 4 yrs now.

I will never go back to a windows machine

And a budget of 250 is more than enough

Premier Icon mj27
    Free Member

Bought 3 chromebooks for my crew and they are great. It helps that I use Google/Chrome at work but the kids have just taken to them so well. The cost is much less and managing them is so easy, no software of virus issues and with kids this is always a problem as they will just click the ‘OK’ boxes.

The windows PC in our house has not been on for over a year now.

Premier Icon Toasty

Chromebooks are indeed ace, but you’re very limited to what software you can find web versions of, even trivial things like networking or printing becomes a bizarre pain in the arse.

I’ve had a few reconditioned Dell laptops from the outlet, it’s a lot of hunting around and waiting for new items to appear though:

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/InventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&brandId=7

I had an XPS a while back, kept it for a year, stuck it on ebay and bizarrely made a profit. There’s not much on there now, every now and then it’ll spike with loads of bits though. A lot of which are custom orders, which have never even been sent out. I’ve got an XPS 13 at the moment, bit out of budget though I’d imagine.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Sorry – slight thread hijack – how do you find the XPS 13 Toasty. Very close to pulling the trigger on the new spec i7 with ultra high res screen etc.

They look glorious in the flesh but do they live up to expectation?

Premier Icon Stoner
    Free Member

like networking or printing

If you need to manage a network then they really not the tool for the job at all, and indeed who needs to do “networking” at home or on campus?

Printing is a breeze once you realise google is your print server and you just need a Google cloud printer. No driver issues, scan or print from any device, phone tablet, from anywhere. It’s a doddle.

Premier Icon tthew

even trivial things like networking or printing becomes a bizarre pain in the arse

printing reliability has improved loads recently, especially with most printers being cloud ready now. Not sure why you’d need to network them together, all the data is in the cloud and accessible from every other device.

Premier Icon takisawa2

I posed a similar question a few days ago.
    I found THIS one from very.co.uk, looked about the best spec for the money, for a new machine.
    I’d be happy with a re-furb ubnit but its for the lads Xmas present.

Premier Icon Toasty

printing reliability has improved loads recently, especially with most printers being cloud ready now. Not sure why you’d need to network them together, all the data is in the cloud and accessible from every other device.

My printer is hooked up to the wifi, it just doesn’t support cloud printing, it’s only a couple of years old. This seems quite ridiculous, I can print directly from my phone or virtually any other device in the house. Network wise, it really depends what you want to use it for, we’ve got a little server in the house, which everything (including phones), except the Chromebook can see. I’d imagine as a student, having a device which is compatible with virtually everything would be a bonus?

Also saying that “all the data is in the cloud” really depends on what the data is. I’m a software engineer, which renders the Chromebook instantly useless for work. It’s fine as long as “all the data” is a few photos and word docs.

Sorry – slight thread hijack – how do you find the XPS 13 Toasty. Very close to pulling the trigger on the new spec i7 with ultra high res screen etc.

Really good 🙂 Although mine’s the i5, non-touch, lower res one. The carbon interior is a bit of a pain for fingerprints but it’s really nicely made.

I appreciate it costs an order of magnitude more than my Chromebook, but it’s the reason I don’t pick up the Chromebook anymore. The 13″ Dell is smaller than my 11″ Chromebook in all dimensions, it’s battery lasts just as long in general usage, I can install whatever I like and it’s drastically quicker at everything.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Really good Although mine’s the i5, non-touch, lower res one. The carbon interior is a bit of a pain for fingerprints but it’s really nicely made.

Thanks! I’ve been an utter ponce and bought the i7 Kaby Lake 16gb/512gb qhd touchscreen one.

Yes it’s a tad more expensive than a chromebook but for the first time in my life I’m in a position to afford the laptop I really want as opposed the the one that’s within budget so I thought what the hell!

As to the OP Asus chromebook flip. As you can install android apps you can stick on office for android which is reasonably capable…

Premier Icon TiRed

Refurb lenovo x230 from 3600rpm. Should get an i5 with 8gb and an ssd drive. Buy a monitor and docking station from ebay.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best student laptop for christmas?’ is closed to new replies.