Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mobile Signal Booster?
  • boblo
    Free Member

I’m in an area that had really poor 4g signal  mostly a lot less than this unless I stand outside on the garden table. The house is a bit of a problem as it has thick granite walls that stop what little signal there is.

I was thinking of trying one of those signal boosters that seem to be available but possibly illegal.

Can you get multi directional ones that really work? I’m thinking of sticking it up a pole on the roof and running a cable inside.

Anyone tried this? Any first hand experiences or recommendations of models/suppliers please?

Ta.

robdixon
    Free Member

Most of the mobile networks now offer Wi-fi calling on compatible handsets – would that be an option?

Vodafone and EE still offer signal boosters for 4g – but both need broadband in which case Wi-fi calling should work as well.

boblo
    Free Member

Sorry, no broadband at this place. Just mobile and crappy dial up.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, an up to date phone is the way to go. I have the same issue in my house and my iPhone 7 on Three just automatically uses my WiFi for calling in the house.

The major advantage over and above something plugged into your broadband is that the phone will also use WiFi in other locations where the mobile signal is unavailable.

allthegear
    Free Member

Ah – typical bad timing of my post!

Sorry, all the extenders need a broadband signal.

Flaperon

Easiest option: change phone provider to one that works.

Second easiest: Get EE fixed 4G broadband. They’ll bolt an external antenna to your house to get decent 4G signal inside. Then use Wifi Calling or a network-supplied signal booster.

boblo
    Free Member

Aaah it’s for a holiday home and I don’t want to spend lots on it as I’m rarely there. Broadband is not an option as it’s quite expensive where the house is. There is a 4g signal, just not at ground level in the house.

I want an external antenna on a pole to grab what’s signal is there and a booster to help it on its way. I’ll use my existing EE allowances to use the network once I can connect to the damn thing. At least that’s the idea.

Cougar

Ring the provider, tell them the signal is crap and ask them what they’re going to do about it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The problem is most actual pure 4g signal boosters are illigal I believe.

Soa 4g router with external areial and PAYG summary while you are there is a possibility.

boblo
    Free Member

That’s what I found Flaperon. I was hoping for some feedback from direct experience. Legality is not my primary concern. The antenna will go next to the Sky dish I installed…. . in France 😁

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mobile Signal Booster?’ is closed to new replies.