Home Forums Bike Forum Mixing tyre brands

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mixing tyre brands
  • bubs

I ripped my front tyre on some excellent trails at Winterfold yesterday and so now need to replace it. In a bid to economise I was considering throwing on a different brand (as I have many odd spares in the shed). This feels a little bit wrong from an aesthetic point of view but is it more likely to catch me out when riding? Anyone else run a mongrel set? Thinking nics on back and xr4s on front.

honourablegeorge

The idea horrifies me. But some people just want to watch the world burn.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I normally run different front and back, I want different things from each end of the bike. It’s normal.

Onzadog
    Free Member

But the logos won’t match, duh!

mos

What is this post about? I don’t understand.

spacemonkey

This feels a little bit wrong from an aesthetic point of view but is it more likely to catch me out when riding?

Eh?

Selecting the wrong tyre for the conditions is what’s gonna catch you out. I really don’t give a sh1t about marrying them up according to brand.

rocketman
    Free Member

This feels a little bit wrong from an aesthetic point of view but is it more likely to catch me out when riding?

Say whaaaaat

Got to be a wind-up

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Mismatching tyre brands is dangerous because the bicycle fashion police might beat you up for lack of style.

Klunk
    Free Member

easy to solve with a stencil and a can of the appropriate colour paint

poah
    Free Member

what did you rip the tyre on – nic’s are notorious for ripping sidewalls even with the thicker sidewalls models. XR4s are better but still not the thickest sidewall. I run an XR4 on the front and a mountainking protection 2.2 on the back or conti barons if the conditions are appropriate.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I tend to go mismatch from day 1, Nice tyre up front, whatever I have that is slightly smaller and faster on the back.

Except the road bike, same both ends so match.

ajt123
    Free Member

Nics on the back good, in dry weather hard to beat hans dampf on the front in Surrey hills.

That being said I felt like a change and now run Michelin Grip’r during the rainy season (Excellent btw) and a Hutchinson Squale for summer, when I tend to go a bit further afield and do more rocky terrain.

I don’t think anyone really cares about mixing brands aesthetically. I think practically it is best to have a more directional front and paddle-like rear.

bubs

😆 [stencil comment]

….which is why you don’t see many mismatched tyres out and about.

dantsw13

Front and rear tyres have different demands, so running the same tyre on each is the most likely way to get an issue on anything other than fire roads.

Put the right tyre on, not the one that looks prettiest.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

what dantsw said.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mixing tyre brands’ is closed to new replies.