Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Missing & bent cassette teeth – Is it really ‘Normal’ wear and tear?!
  • james
    Free Member

My bike is currently back for warranty inspection for a frame issue
    I also reported the broken shifter * which they have said SRAM will likely warranty
    I have also reported the GX eagle casette for 3 missing teeth and multiple bent teeth, they have said SRAM will likely say this is ‘normal wear and tear’.

Now I undertand wearing parts will wear, thats what they do, BUT are missing and bent teeth really normal wear and tear and to be expected? ** Because apart from this it would have life in it yet, but it won’t shift properly like it is
    I realise the cassette is nearly two *** years old, but its still just on its second chain (having swapped at 0.5% ‘stretch’ ****) having been ridden on average once a fortnight on 15-25km rides, the brunt of the pedalling going up fireroads

plus-one

Sram cassettes(high end ones) are made from Swiss cheese !!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bent and broken teeth are poor and if it was two months old, you could try for a warranty. However, I’m not surprised they don’t think you’ll have much luck with a two year old consumable.

james
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2j4jXrX]CassetteBentTooth10[/url] by james74747474, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2j4iqL9]CassetteBentTooth7[/url] by james74747474, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2j4fNcJ]CassetteBentTeeth45[/url] by james74747474, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2j4ipSa]CassetteMissingTeeth5[/url] by james74747474, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2j4isab]CasetteBentTeeth2[/url] by james74747474, on Flickr

tjagain

Not normal wear and tear but no way is that a warranty issue at two years

james
    Free Member

A quick google suggests it does happen, but as you say but those I’ve seen said to have been warrantied have been much newer. I’ve never seen this on a cassette before and I’ve ridden a lot of cassettes all the way to very worn out before. Its the completely missing teeth that have me baffled?

*I had to buy another shifter at short notice over a year ago, that broke a couple of months ago and that got swapped out there and then in the shop I bought it from. (Both of them the shifter internals have just gone bang and won’t upshift (big paddle)
    ***SRAM officially claims a two year warranty on it
    ****on a park tool tool, yes I know sheldon brown says they are completely inaccurate. When you measure ‘correctly’ over the number of pins, I find a park tool style overreads by about twice, so really I changed the first at and am nearly at 0.25% chain stretch on the second chain

bigjim

two years is a long life for a cassette and it doesn’t look like you maintain your bike very well

james
    Free Member

“Not normal wear and tear but no way is that a warranty issue at two years”
    Which is it?

james
    Free Member

“doesn’t look like you maintain your bike very well”
    In what respect?

kneed

To me that looks like an impressively well used and well worn GX cassette. I’ve got a number of them on different wheels of varying age and mileage. Now I think I must get out more and do more miles and change cassettes less often.

mulacs

To be fair, your flickr feed is full of broken bits and wrecked gear…

tjagain

james

“Not normal wear and tear but no way is that a warranty issue at two years”

Which is it?

abnormal wear and tear but can you show its a manufacturing fault? Or is it down to something else? Poor mainenence, stones getting trapped in it, being fitted with a rock? Cack handed shifting?

rydster
    Free Member

I suspect that as the teeth wear normally they become more at risk of breakage due to the steel thinning and the loads becoming more concentrated.

sillyoldman

It’s worn out anyway.

james
    Free Member

“To be fair, your flickr feed is full of broken bits and wrecked gear…”
    I largely only ever use it for hotlinking onto here ..

“It’s worn out anyway”
    Thats nothing on the amount of wear I’ve got out of shimano cassettes over the years

I can’t show its a manufacturing fault no, I just don’t think teeth snapping like this is normal?
    Yes it has had to endure some dodgy shifting. Its never shifted perfectly from new despite trying swapping hangers/rear mechs. (yes i use the red plastic mech setup guide)

How do you maintain a cassette exactly? Does mud contact snap teeth clean off?
    And no it has never seen a rock.

tjagain

James – the point is it could be any of those things. It may be, it may be something else

Warrenty on a two year old cassette on its second chain – I wouldn’t even try

james
    Free Member

I was unlikely to get round to bringing up the shifter. Its only because I had to get the frame sent in that I mentioned the shifter let alone the cassette. Just a bummer as casettes aren’t exactly £30 anymore ..

tdog
    Free Member

Is there a chance poor bike hygiene to blame, either that or you have legs of Iron

trail_rat
    Free Member

That cassette is **** .

And that’s before the broken and bent teeth.

It’s plain ass worn out . You may have got X more years out of because your willing to put up with the din of poor meshing but its beyond useful life span.

rydster
    Free Member

Well, my everyday bike, which saw use on the (often muddy) TPT most days, went through a cassette in about one year.

reluctantjumper

The design of that cassette means that the teeth become weak as they wear, the cutouts mean the supporting bridges get weaker. That cassette has a lot of wear on it, also a lot of rust. The bent teeth could be due to poor shifting caused either by the shifter or mech being worn or just bad technique, shifting under power for example. I’m not saying it’s your fault but that cassette is well past it’s best.

The fact you say it’s mainly ridden on fireroads suggests a gritty surface which will wear out a drivetrain fast. Very much doubt anyone would entertain a warranty claim on it.

Poopscoop

Genuine kudos though op.

My bike is immaculate but it’s because it’s probably not ridden a huge amount compared to yours.

Your using the bike for what it’s meant for. Good stuff imo.👍

hols2
    Free Member

I realise the cassette is nearly two *** years old

It’s worn out.

james
    Free Member

“either that or you have legs of Iron”
    Lots of people make a point of pointing out my calves?

“mainly ridden on fireroads”
    Brunt of the pedalling on (steady) fireroad climbs. That bike mostly does free-wheely descents

I can see a strong consensus in this thread so I’ve had my query answered thoroughly thank you
    I’m left wondering how people get through 4/5/6 chains over the life of a cassette when thats had two to 0.5%

I’ll finish with a shimano cassette I once wore WAY further than I have any other ..
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2j4A6jS]IMG_20180909_150139[/url] by james74747474, on Flickr

reluctantjumper

That’s a SRAM cassette, even says it on the end! It’s also a 9 speed which has a much higher tolerance to being worn. The letters be and au are SRAM codes, Shimano has HG on them. It’s not even that worn either!

sillyoldman

Looks like a Shimano cassette with a SRAM lockring.

AU appears to refer to a specific HG70 cassette?

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-HG70-9%20(au)-2013.pdf

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Missing & bent cassette teeth – Is it really ‘Normal’ wear and tear?!’ is closed to new replies.