Viewing 37 posts - 161 through 197 (of 197 total)
  • Mint Sauce to Singletrack Petition
  • pegglet
    Free Member

morning Jo. hows things…? DO i mention 'Brick' at this point? xx

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

I loooooove mint sauce, was part of my inspiration to ride at one time. I'd like to see it in STW. Never understood why mint rides a geared bike? Would have to change to SS if it was in STW lol 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Never understood why mint rides a geared bike?

Really? Are you sure you understand MS?

muddyfoxcourier
    Free Member

Dilute with water .
    hmmm

Maybe the sheep could come to some kind of midlife crisis / crossroads in his life , realise that all this media driven consumerist bolt on techno techno , is what he was trying to escape from in the first place , and that it detracts from the experience ,even , reducing his alltime favourite rides to a selection of 'transition stages ' between the (now much less ) challenging bits.
    That'd take it in a new direction , and would reflect what I'm sure a fair portion of the STW massive are feeling .
    Keep it current and that.

He could flog the IBIS Bow-type , dust off his old MuddyFox Courier , and relearn the art of flipping hiking boots into toe-clips .
    He could be redrawn as some other equally appealing countryside creature .
    With a bushy tail .Boom boom.

Of course he wouldnt be counting his miles any more than his VO2max, and would probably just do Sundays these days , up Rivi .
    He may occasionally
    just
    stop.

Thinking about everything.

And there'll be no bin scavenging as a metaphor for man's relentless pursuit of tarmac-ing the world.

Bialetti .
    2 scoops .

I think that's probably more than enough.

JoB
    Free Member

nuke

Whilst we're on Mint Sauce, given we're all sat behind a PC most days, how about a Mint Sauce Persona for Firefox as per HERE? If not Mint Sauce himself, I thought Summer would go nicely along the top with her hair and the sky.

delusional
    Free Member

the average age of the MBUK audience is considerably higher than you may think

Apparently: "Future Publishing's readership demographics research has indicated the magazine's readership to be 98% male, with an average age of 24.5 and an average income of £36,000."

No surprises in the gender balance, but the age is a little higher than I expected, not hugely though. Mind you, that's taken from Wikipedia and there's no reference to back it up, so probably absolute bollocks.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Ergo wikipedia

noteeth
    Free Member

I might have long since stopped buying MBUK – but I can't imagine Mint Sauce in any other mag. It just wouldn't be right (or, I suspect, practical). That said, I've always liked the crayola enthusings of (US) Dirt Rag, so if Mint should ever re-locate…

I've said it before, but Summer reading Surrender the Pink somewhere high on the Downs is as splendid a moment of "emotion recollected in tranquility" as anything else I know.

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

So he has! And as right as ever, good work Jo!. 😀

joolsburger
    Free Member

Jo is that a triptych? Great colours, can we get one?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Great colours, can we get one?

I had imagined it was rendered in gloomy shades to make it less stealable… such are the vicissitudes of colour blindness 🙁

nickc

I'm 42 this year, and still buy most copies of MBUK, aside from STW, and Dirt it's the only one I read with any regularity. It was the first one I bought when I started becoming serious about mountain bikes, It's got Mint in it, and OK, sometimes it goes all a bit pantomime, but it's generally alright, there's nice pictures, they promote more up and coming riders than all the other mags combined, and it's entertaining.

allankelly

It's the Doddy-worship I can't stand. Last time I bought it he was on nearly every page. He was "dee-jaying" that hippity-hoppity noise on one page.

al.

joolsburger
    Free Member

What is a Doddy I thought that was Ken Dodd.

Wookster

Intresting this topic eh!?! Always like mint and its the first bit of the mag I read. I like it as a comment on mountain biking people etc think its clever.

My favrotie one last year had mint out for a ride in the rain and mud etc when he gets home there was an answer phone message from summer? really made me smile!! I look at it that £4 a month for mint when you get a free bike mag attached is well worth it!!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It's O.K. to "not get" Mint. You just don't vibrate at the same frequency that we who "get it", do, that's all…

Or wear the same secret smile.

Jo!!! Get on with the book! (I ain't getting any younger).

AndyRT
    Free Member

As well as a selection of prints too!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You just don't vibrate at the same frequency that we who "get it", do, that's all…

thank **** for THAT !! (you scary teddy-botherer)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Couldn't "scare" a fly.

allankelly

"Cause you know what they say about honey bears
    When you shave off all their baby hair
    You have a hairy minded pink bare bear"

al. (Well, Lou Reed really)

ratadog

Like MS, but never, ever understood/got/laughed/had wry inward smile of amusement/any flicker of human emotion etc. at The Far Side. ( suspect that GaryL may not be a member of this forum, although I anticipate that 30+ people will soon be competing to register in his name and exercise his right to reply ).

Did have a colleague in the past who had apparently been absent when the sense of humour was handed out. He used to illustrate his lectures with Far Side cartoons. Couldn't work out whether a) he thought that they were funny thus confirming my suspicions, or b) he didn't find them funny but thought that people who did have a sense of humour would, thus confirming my suspicions.

tangent
    Free Member

No Need!…Singletrack mag seems crap enough already without a colourful cartoon sheep.

actually, more seriously i think noteeth knows best…other than the drivel about DirtRag drawings.

What would be fab would a Tintin / Asterix / stylee full on picture book… now that's a starting a thread for… (if your reading this JoB)

noteeth
    Free Member

other than the drivel about DirtRag drawings.

Pah – you don't even read it, ya chop-faced nordic numpty. 😀

Not always to my taste, for sure – but when it's nicely done, s'ver good.

tangent
    Free Member

Noteeth…Nordic knows best :lol:!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

a sheep riding a bicycle doesn't stand a chance against sfb's relentless logic

I think that is probably one of my favourite STW quotes of all time.

sfb is just a little bit literal. He doesn't 'get' anything surreal and seems unlikely to be able to appreciate any of the sublime metaphors and profound awarenesses hidden in the fabric of this wondrously beautiful and sometimes painfully confusing world.

He is also a bit of an attention whore, who likes to use 'big' words because he thinks they make him sound clever.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I fell out of love with mint when it's creator let me down. For all my faults I am highly principled & would happily cut off my nose to spite my face, not read one since & certainly wouldn't spend my money supporting any mag it was in.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

sfb is just a little bit literal. He doesn't 'get' anything surreal and seems unlikely to be able to appreciate any of the sublime metaphors

ya think ? I wonder how you might determine this ? As to 'subblime metaphor' no one has been able to point any of these out, leading me to believe they are absent.

who likes to use 'big' words because he thinks they make him sound clever.

sat rather "who likes to use words for the love of language"

when it's creator let me down

how so ?

noteeth
    Free Member

Nordic knows best

Shouldn't that be "I think it would be best…"?

Besides, if you were in charge of a magazine's design it would look like something out of Happenin' Sports circa 1991, accompanied by numerous arcane (& Tolkien-esque) maps & devoted entirely to Stockhill Woods. 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

MBUK, at the end of the 90s, became too DH and jump related. Mint doesnt fit with that. I don't fit with that "scene" but felt an affinity to mint. I'm glad mint stopped before it got repetitive, and I'm glad it left MBUK. I've no idea what MBUK is like these days, but i dont fancy wasting £4 to find out.

AndyRT
    Free Member

he's still in mbuk

trapped in a field with an electric fence?

finbar
    Free Member

MBUK, at the end of the 90s, became too DH and jump related. Mint doesnt fit with that. I don't fit with that "scene" but felt an affinity to mint. I'm glad mint stopped before it got repetitive, and I'm glad it left MBUK. I've no idea what MBUK is like these days, but i dont fancy wasting £4 to find out.

Uhm, did you read this thread at all? Mint is still in MBUK and still going strong.

BrickMan

ah go on, let MBUK have it, its the only thing worth looking at in there anymore anyway 😉

anniison
    Free Member

a sheep riding a bicycle doesn't stand a chance against sfb's relentless logic

Jo Burt, as ever, you are my hero :oD

On a day like today, where the real world gets in the way just a little too much and makes everything gloomy, all I have to do is sit and look at 'this is why'. Suddenly everything seems a litle better cause I know that when the weather gets a little better, I cant start having my own adventures again, seeing how good the real world can actually be from the seat of a bike, just like mint.

I think Im going to stop my own b*tching about it being in MBUK and just buy it anyway. Sod the price tag, for everything I get out of Mint personally, I think its worth supporting.

So, errr, yeah, I think I get it. I used to spend hours trawling through back issues after discovering mint in '95, its so great to have them all to look at again on 'this is why' now the paper copies are long gone.

Sit on my pace and tell me that you love me ;o)

anniison
    Free Member

eviljoe: cool strip :o)

I'm trying to work out if I can be done for shop lifting by Sainsbury's if I razor mint sauce out of MBUK and offer to pay £1 for it… I reckon it would be worth getting a record for….

Perhaps some of the more cramped and messier branches of WHSmith on a busy saturday might make this easier. Not that I would ever nick a mint cartoon that made me smile… ;o)

tangent
    Free Member

Besides, if you were in charge of a magazine's design it would look like something out of Happenin' Sports circa 1991, accompanied by numerous arcane (& Tolkien-esque) maps & devoted entirely to Stockhill Woods. [/i]

noteeth sounds like an awesome magazine er concept…I think each issue would also come with a a free covermounted "mix" tape. But would Mint Sauce be in there

MBUK is still a good, especialy at capturing the fun and diversity of the sport, am glad Mint still has a place there

Viewing 37 posts - 161 through 197 (of 197 total)

The topic ‘Mint Sauce to Singletrack Petition’ is closed to new replies.