Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 202 total)
  • Mini review – Transition Smuggler
  • kdmckenzie
    Free Member

cheers for the info roverpig.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m only half serious, I actually have something similar in the pipeline anyway. Watch this space.

Merlin have a Large orange frame in stock, for example (along with some small 2015 frames with tasty discounts).

Yes and don’t just assume you’ll be your usual size – I tried bungalistic’s medium and I’m pretty sure it was too short for me. I’m only 5ft 8in.

roverpig

Ah, you tease 🙂

Good point about the sizing. The steep seat tube means that seated reach is less than you’d think from the (standing) reach or the ETT figures, for example. Having said that, I was a Large on my Five and the Large Smuggler (with a 35mm stem) feels good too.

kdmckenzie
    Free Member

i have a trans Am 29er in large at the mo with a 50mm stem which fits just fine

chakaping
    Free Member

Off to Merlin with you then sonny.

🙂

roverpig

7% discount too. What’s not to love 🙂

Wookster

Oh dear, mines due around Christmas… I gather from last year they had some big delays ( found this out after I’d ordered! )

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Anyone interested in a Large would probably be well advised to buy that one in Orange from Merlin – sounds like they’ll be difficult to get hold of for a wee while!

variflex
    Free Member

Blimey, the merlin one if real is 1299….and thats for the 2016 frame…. I have a feeling somethings not right there, however if it is then its a bargain.

mccett
    Free Member

Lbs has a large 2016 Smuggler in black hanging on the wall now. Twelve50Bikes in Cheshire.

roverpig

The Merlin frame is only £100 below RRP (I think). A bit surprising given that these seem to be in short supply, but not unbelievable I guess. It’s probably still worth checking to see if there is some specific reason for the discount though.

tomd1984
    Free Member

I’m hoping the LBS’ shipment of test Transitions has come in, a Smuggler was supposed to be among them… off to see on Sunday and hopefully swing my leg over one 😀

Vortexracing

Those Small frames at Merlin are now 10% less, £850!!!!!

Sat here seriously considering one, especially as I have to call in on my way home.

trouble is, there is nothing wrong with my 5 Spot 🙄

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Any photos of people’s 2016 builds??

roverpig

A few of mine on the earlier pages of this thread, but not sure if I’ve uploaded this one before:

michaelmcc
    Free Member

My new beast!!! 😀

Just bought the frame and fork and mostly used parts from my last bike and swapped them over. Sweet ride so far. Feels very good at speed!

mccett
    Free Member

Hi guys, please keep eyes peeled for a 2015 large blue Smuggler…mine has been stolen last Friday in a burglary in mid Cheshire in which they also took my other bikes and wife’s car among other items.
    Wtb rims on silver hope hubs
    Pike rct forks
    Renthal carbon bars
    Reverb
    Esp grips
    Full 11 speed XT group set.
    Cheers

discapade
    Free Member

Hey Roverpig…can I ask a Q? How tall are you mate and is yours a large?

Cheers

roverpig

Six foot with something like a 33″ inside leg and yes, it’s a large. Feels pretty much spot on to me.

astnz
    Free Member

timbo678
    Free Member

Does anyone know of availability of any XL frames?

bigjim

ask your local Transition dealer! pedals in Edinburgh will know.

ChrisL

timbo678 – Member
    Does anyone know of availability of any XL frames?

bigjim – Member
    ask your local Transition dealer! pedals in Edinburgh will know.

James from Pedals said on Sunday that there was one XL complete bike left in the UK, but that there were plans to get some more frames or bikes shipped from America. I think that was the gist of it, anyway.

timbo678
    Free Member

James has been awesome and hopefully some light at the end of a long wait!

Euro
    Free Member

Can i ask the guys on their XL frames how tall they are and how’s the fit? I’m 6’5″ and unlikely to be able to sit on one before buying as there are no dealer here. Ta.

bigjim

Just under 6’5″ and it’s a perfect fit. Wouldn’t want anything longer.

Shandy
    Free Member

I’ve got an XL you can try if you’re in Belfast.

Garry_Lager

bigjim – Member

Just under 6’5″ and it’s a perfect fit. Wouldn’t want anything longer. How’s your smuggler on the golfie and other steep stuff up there, Jim?
    Was riding there recently and thinking what a grind it is to repetitively winch an enduro bike up Priesthope hill. Shorter travel bike would defo be the order of the day for me on those trails, if I could handle the descents on it.

bigjim

Yeah it’s great on the steep, never felt like I could go over the front, not sure if it’s the length of the thing or the big wheel or both. The length is a slight pain in some of the really tight corners but very few. I think I’ve only wished for more travel on some of the plough furrows you hit on some of the trails, rest of the trails it’s all you need. Some of the rougher faster bits of the DH trails on the other side would be faster with more travel though.

deanfbm
    Free Member

My smuggler is great on steep, excellent for a sprint up, bomb down sort of ride.

As above, on anything proper rough, you do give up some vs a longer travel enduro bike. It’s just up to you whether the trade off is worth the easier up and more momentum on the other stuff.

Euro
    Free Member

Cheers fellow giants!

I’ve got an XL you can try if you’re in Belfast.

That’d be beezer shandy 😀 i’m from Antrim but work in the shaft. Where did you get yours from, if you don’t mind me asking, and what was the turnaround like, like?

Shandy
    Free Member

I got it from Pedals in Edinburgh, they were sound, quick dispatch and they sorted me a deal on some forks and the headset and fitting.

bigjim

Got mine from Pedals in Edinburgh too 8)

Euro
    Free Member

Pedals was who i was looking at as they have the fork (Pike) and colour (black) i would prefer.

Cheers lads.

Dean, how do you find the Smuggler for jumping and mid-air frolics?

downhillmadness
    Free Member

My smuggler is a 2015 large. The bike is awsome but I wish they had thought about the tire clearence more. I’ve got wtb i23 wheels and with a minion dhr2.3, nobby nic 2.35 and minion ss 2.3 it’s fine. Magic marys on the rear are a no go. I’m just having some new wheels built. The new stans arch mk3 with a 26mm inner width. I think these may cause some issues, but I want a stronger wheel. If I can use the ss dhr and nobby nic I’ll be happy.
    What width wheels is everyone using?

pigyn
    Free Member

Wide wheels are fine as the wider you go it makes the tyre slightly lower, and it’s only clearane on top that is tight. My ‘bruiser munro waterbar’ wheelset was 30mm internal Halo rims with 2.4 Tough Trailboss tyres

Wookster

AR27’s on mine, no probs with clearance, seem to cope well with a lump like me landing and choosing bad lines!

coffeeaddikt
    Free Member

What does it look like whit 27.5’s installed? or would the geo be all out of whack?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

What does it look like whit 27.5’s installed? or would the geo be all out of whack?

Why would you do that? The Scout is the 27.5 equivalent.

km79
    Free Member

It would look like someone bought the wrong frame or wrong wheels.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘Mini review – Transition Smuggler’ is closed to new replies.