Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 250 total)
  • Mid life crisis car
  • Nico
    Free Member

A mid-life crisis is supposed to be where you start acting like a teenager or at least like someone young. So you need a small hatchback which you can load up with your mates and go out being irresponsible, not an expensive “bahnstormer” to drive on your own like other people of your age who’ve managed to save up a bit having reached middle-age/management.

paulx
    Free Member

Just thought of a suitable motor – Challenger Hellcat, 6.2 litres of supercharged hemi hooliganism, 6-700hp readily available.

There’s one for sale in a dealer near my place. Its a insanely, serious looking, very noisy mota.

mikertroid
    Free Member

What do you want it to do?!

– go fast in a straight line?
    – go fast around corners?
    – both?
    – fit 4 people in?
    – have a good boot?
    – all of the above?

Pick up mine in 8 weeks or so. Seat Leon Cupra ST 300 4drive. Not exactly a MLC Car but it’s the best I can do for now!

A buddy drives a Challenger SRT. Reckons it’s 600+ bhp. Now that Is a pukka MLC car!!

pirahna
    Free Member

I bought an Elise a few years ago. After 06 they’re fitted with Toyota engines, mine was the 111R with the 190hp motor. Good for 0-60 in 4.5 seconds with superb handling and I think they look fantastic.

Cheap to run, you pay Toyota service costs even at the Lotus dealer. Cheap to insure, fully comp for me was £200. Fuel consumption was around 40mpg, could go a lot lower depending on how it’s driven. I used it year round, commuted, toured, went to the shops, etc.

The downsides, it liked rear tyres, I didn’t bother with the recommended Lotus fitment, went with Toyo Proxes. There’s a definite knack to getting in and out but it’s quick to get the hang of. I’m 6’1″ and about the height limit.

null

OK, we’ve established it’s not a MLC car and most folk on here would have something different, but I pick one up on Friday anyway.

The V8 is unreal – revs to 8250, Lamborghini derived, same engine as in the R8. It’s a lot of fun

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hNyiDm]DSC_5286-edited[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

hodgynd
    Free Member

Very nice indeed ..enjoy !

julians
    Free Member

Enjoy!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh, an A5… very Old Man Crisis.

Enjoy!

🤪👍

I am nearly 50 bikebouy 🙄 😂

Kryton57

That’s very nice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I am nearly 50 bikebouy 🙄 😂

No need to apologise.. we’re all pretty much the same age on here.

Looks like a hoot, will you open an account at BlackCircles at the same time as picking it up?

I would.

🤡👍

18mpg… i reckon. G’wan, tell us when you get it after a week of hooning around in it..

😱👍

18mpg… i reckon. G’wan, tell us when you get it after a week of hooning around in it..

My mates got a pre-facelift and he reckons about 16 😂 it’s a weekend toy tbf, won’t be doing too many miles

julians
    Free Member

I used to have an ee92 bmw m3, with the 4 litre v8, that managed 19mpg average , going up to 25mpg on the motorway if you kept it steady at around 65mph.

plus-one

Love it !

tonyg2003

The A5 is in my view the prettiest car that Audi make – very nice. I’ve never owned a V8 and probably never will now.

Not really my view of a “mid life crisis” car but I’m sure it will still be OK to drive.

nicko74

That’s lush, and there are few cars with the combination of V8 (mmmm), manual (obvs), AWD (for winter, innit) and such a lovely interior. Enjoy!

It may not be the first thing you think of, btw, but if you find the gearshift a bit rubbery, there are some good short-shift kits out there that make it a much nicer shift – you can fit it yourself in a couple of hours.

Ain’t no manual nicko 🙄

7 speed S-tronic

Suits me, don’t want manual

pandhandj
    Free Member

Ooooh! That looks great… Enjoy!

hodgynd
    Free Member

The 7 speed S-tronic box is fantastic ..you won’t notice the gear changes ..and if you want to go manual you can with either flappy paddle or move the gear shift over ..
    Tbh ..I rarely use either ..no need !

More like 14 😂😭

Chatsworth, Christmas Day morning (phone pic)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2i5z9Sm]20191225_092711-2[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Anyone thinks that it’s just a glorified rep mobile wants to think again. The sound and grunt of that V8 all the way up to the rev limiter at 8250 is something else. The endless grip (who wants to be going sideways on public roads?) just makes you push it and push it.

It can also be a sedate luxury car too at the push of a button – Bang and Olufsen sounds, Google earth sat nav, auto everything.

Highly regarded as one of the best engines of it’s time. Watch this video, not so much for the driving, but what the guy driving has to say about it

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

God that bloke is boring!

Kryton57

Love the noise but he did state an after,Ariel exhaust system. I’d love to hear the <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>original noise.    Sitting in a car with a “rumble” is one of my favourite things, something very much missing from my 320d 🙁</span>

mrmoofo

Okay, cayman owners – any of you tall? I am 6ft 2ins…and not very long legged but they appear quite cramped with the seat right back. What are they like to live with in the real world?

Sitting in a car with a “rumble” is one of my favourite things, something very much missing from my 320d

Mine doesn’t sound much different to that with the valves open to be honest. With them closed, you can hardly hear it.

It’s not got the deep rumble of a Mustang, but my mate has a Mustang and the Audi is a much better car. The Audi is more high pitched, F1 esque. A lot of the aftermarket exhausts sound bloody awful

nicko74

Sitting in a car with a “rumble” is one of my favourite things

Agreed, and the opportunities to do so are disappearing year on year

tlr

Agreed – I’ve had Flat 4, V5, Flat 6, Straight 6 and V6 cars, but never a V8.

Most of me says ‘don’t be daft’, but there is a little Mrs Doyle sat on my shoulder saying ‘Ahhh go on, go on, go on’. Certainly not going to be many chances left.

a11y

Agreed – I’ve had Flat 4, V5, Flat 6, Straight 6 and V6 cars, but never a V8.

Most of me says ‘don’t be daft’, but there is a little Mrs Doyle sat on my shoulder saying ‘Ahhh go on, go on, go on’. Certainly not going to be many chances left.

I needed the Mrs Doyle voice to convince me but finally ‘went on’ and bought a V8 12 months ago. Don’t regret it. Strong chance it’ll be the only V8 I’ll ever get the chance to own. Just lucky enough that circumstances allowed it. Plan to keep it as long as I possibly can.

julians
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 v8’s, one of them with a flat plane crank, one a chevy small block, the other a bmw v8.

The chevy small block sounded best, but was the least powerful.

I’ve also had Two straight sixes, various straight 4’s, and a straight 5.

It’s one of the reasons I wanted the Audi. There are faster, and/or more involving cars out there, but always fancied one (it’s pretty, fierce and understated to look at, at the same time) and had to have a n/a V8 before they are gone. Only a few of this ilk to choose from – Mustang, M3, C63 etc. The beauty of this one is the high revving nature, it’s almost exotic. Of course there’s a trade off, with low end grunt being sacrificed, but even then, it’s no slouch and it took no time at all to learn to keep it above 4k rpm when driving spiritedly

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Audi do make some very pretty cars. Mercedes, and to a lesser extent BMW, seem to have caught the Japanese habit of poking sharpened pencils in their designers’ eyes. It ain’t hard to make a good looking big car. Why is it that only Alfa and Audi can do it with the more every day cars?

Rockape63
    Free Member

You sound just like me when I bought my 2014 RS4 in 2015. I had always wanted one and as I had the money, thought ‘why not’!

Unfortunately, I found the whole experience disappointing, but not for obvious reasons. It was basically too fast to enjoy. I’d get to a clear stretch of road and put my foot down and within a few secs, was doing 90mph. Too fast, so had to back off or risk getting nicked or killing someone. I wouldn’t take on a track, so came to the conclusion that I’d sell it after only 15months, the shortest time I e ever owned a car.

I bought an S5 convertible, which although fast , can be enjoyed at low speeds and you’re not looking at being banned every time you put your foot down.

Don’t mean to put you off and hope you enjoy it! 😉

fadda

@mrmoofo
    You’ll be fine, I’m 6ft exactly and there’s some room left.

TheGingerOne

I have had a v5 and a number of straight sixes. Always wanted a V8 and was beginning to think it would never happen, so I used some inheritance to keep my e91 330i and buy a V8. End of September I bought a 96 TVR Chimaera 4.0 and it is gloriously looking, sounding and driving. I love the simplicity and by far the most sensible way to get a V8 in my life, I thought. It will take some money to keep it going, but I don’t think it will lose much value at all now, being 23 years old.

It certainly goes if you want it to, but it is incredibly enjoyable just being driven normally 🙂

Unfortunately, I found the whole experience disappointing, but not for obvious reasons. It was basically too fast to enjoy. I’d get to a clear stretch of road and put my foot down and within a few secs, was doing 90mph. Too fast, so had to back off or risk getting nicked or killing someone. I wouldn’t take on a track, so came to the conclusion that I’d sell it after only 15months, the shortest time I e ever owned a car.

I’ve had it about 7 weeks now. Not finding it ‘too fast’ particularly. I live on the edge of the Peak, so have some lovely roads. Managed to get a run from Soarrowpit to the top of Winnats Pass with no traffic the other day, it was wonderful 😊
    What I won’t do, as opposed to when I was a young lad, is take blind crests, or corners at breakneck speeds. If I can read the road, I’ll open it up. Getting plenty of grins from me 😊

renton
    Free Member

Did you consider the Jaguar XFR at all. Same sort of thing to the Audi but 510 bhp

iainc

If I can read the road, I’ll open it up

If you can read, you’ll see the sign says 60mph and above that is breaking the law..

Did you consider the Jaguar XFR at all. Same sort of thing to the Audi but 510 bhp

No, I didn’t consider one (thought they were amazing when they first came out though). 1, they aren’t normally aspirated (supercharged) and 2. Just seems a bit of an old man’s car – yes, I know some would say the Audi is too. Did consider an XKR for about 5 minutes though

If you can read, you’ll see the sign says 60mph and above that is breaking the law.

Ok, thanks.

bearnecessities

Great car, but anyone reminded of this? 🙂

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/audi-s3-quite-fast/

singlecrack
    Free Member

Bmw 130i…. Fairly practical. Can be had for £5000 and the 6 cylinder sound is lovely…… Or a retro Lotus Carlton 😏

a11y

Or a retro Lotus Carlton 😏

Seen the prices of those? Yikes. (or does the smilie mean you’ve got one – if so then JEALOUS)

Coincidentally, before buying my Monaro the others on my shortlist are mentioned above: S5 or a Jaaaaaaag XFR. Needed 4 proper seats, wanted V8 – that was about it for the criteria. Chevvy V8 won me over though – simple and fun, so a good match for me 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 250 total)

The topic ‘Mid life crisis car’ is closed to new replies.