Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Merino Wool riding jerseys?
  • tealeith
    Free Member

After much experimentation with the ditching of my Camelbak and riding a little more minimalist with just the basics hidden amongst my person, I’ve finally realised that a traditional “jersey” is actually the best method for keys, food, cash, multi-tool and so on.

I’ve been playing around with various waist-belt type things for carrying stuff, even the Specialized SWAT bib-shorts which have built in rear-pockets.

Begrudgingly, the more XC (or roadie) jersey with three rear pockets at the back holds everything you need and nice a snug to your body without jiggling around. I’ve always worn the more baggy style mountain bike tops and have not wanted the skin-tight XC style. Then I saw this Merino wool (retro styled?) top from On-One

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMER/on-one-merino-wool-long-sleeved-jersey

This looks perfect, and what an amazing price (especially for Merino). It’s a pity there are only X-Small left otherwise I’d have grabbed a couple of them.

I’ve been googling the tradtional makes like Endura, TLD, and also searching with strings of “zip merino jersey” but to no avail. Does anybody know of anything vaguely similar?

To be clear – I like the idea of Merino and its properties over purely synthetic, and something that doesn’t make me look like a roadie, really trying to look a pro. Basically, a slightly baggy jersey (if that’s possible without the pockets flapping around wildly?)

Thanks in advance.

velosam
    Free Member

Vulpine do full merino

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re happy with synthetic MTB jerseys why the desire to swap? Plenty of brands do ‘XC’ rather than road jerseys with a slightly looser fit, more like a T-shirt.

I like Merino, but it’s not magic, it’s still exactly how you’d imagine riding in a wool jumper is (hot when it’s hot, not windproof, get’s sodden in the rain). My Endura Jetstream is cheaper than most wool jerseys and a whole lot better (warmer, cooler, showerproofer).

medoramas
    Free Member

Endura make one – it’s really nice, but it has no pockets (except one small side one)…

gary

I like merino in general, but it’s not the “all conditions” wonder material that some marketing would have you believe. That said, autumn and winter is when it works best for me.

BUT … if you’re planning on loading up pockets in a merino jersey, shop carefully. I’ve always found them to be prone to going baggy and the merino jersey itself (not just the pockets) don’t handle too much weight very well. And if you’re looking for a looser cut, that problem might be exacerbated.

Sportwool jerseys are a nice compromise, but tend to not be the looser cut you mention …

tealeith
    Free Member

Thanks thisisnotaspoon. Something to think about.

ceepers

torm.cc do merino blend sportwool like rapha but at a reasonable price

crazy-legs

Yeah, I go with merino base layer and a standard XC top. Polyester/lycra jersey, 1/2 or 1/4 zip, 3 rear pockets.

You get the snug fit, the load carrying and still get all the wicking benefits. It’s also easier to wash – MTB jerseys have a habit of getting covered in mud and that just wrecks merino.

Even Rapha don’t do full merino tops anymore, it’s just too fragile. They do blended Merino/polyester fabrics.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thanks thisisnotaspoon. Something to think about.

Shouldn’t put you off them entirely, they’re ace on freezing cold but dry winter days, and look cool. But on a technical level they’re outperformed by a £7 longsleve jersey from Lidl/Aldi.

chakaping
    Free Member

Quite slim fitting but an excellent quality jersey at a bargain price here…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sombrio-fall-haul-merino-jersey/rp-prod127085

I use mine for the odd XC jaunt but mostly slightly chilly road rides.

thomthumb
    Free Member

imo jersey needs to fit really well for the pockets to work well.

doesn’t need to be skin tight but too baggy and the pockets will swing about or drop down to your arse.

those on one jerseys are better for the pub than the bike ime. mine had 3/4 holes in after the first wash!

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve been using my Kona long sleeve merino jersey for the last few rides and it’s brilliant

Thin merino underneath, gilet over the top and it’s good to go. Wicks a treat

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I have a Cafe du Cycliste merino long sleeve. I love it, but wear a windproof gilet with it when it’s cold.

If you want more budget end, look at Torm, which is merino blend. I like mine a lot!

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve tried (still own) a merino blend Ground Effect long sleever and it’s just NO-WHERE near the full fat merino. Wouldn’t recommend

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I love my Ground Effect sub merino, probably my most used bit of kit.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s the submarino I’ve got (as well as other GE stuff). I wear it probably a few times a year, usually with a black gilet

Quite bikey looking. I go for non bikey looking stuff now

Like this dhb merino polo. £19 was such a bargain I bought 3 and use some for work, going out

Pure marino is great. Can wear it for quite a few times before it even starts to smell. Wash on a 30° and they last long time

tealeith
    Free Member

Thanks all, will have a look at those various suggestions.

I like the Logan’s Run inspired Kona top as recommended by bonesetter.My crystal expired long ago, I’d be surplus to society’s requirements by now, LOL.

thepodge
    Free Member

I Like the Kona one too but cant find it anywhere

scotroutes

I have an older style Kona Merino jersey (Strada) that I wore three times and then just put away in the wardrobe. I don’t really get on with merino for cycle wear. Would suit a 38-40″ chest, with a relaxed fit. I’ll dig it out if you’re interested

chakaping
    Free Member

That Kona one above was the £15 CRC bargain lots of us snapped up a couple of years ago.

Still a bit too warm out to wear it yet, I reckon.

amedias
    Free Member

Yeah, I go with merino (or bamboo) base layer and a standard XC top

^ this

I find layers give you more options and flexibility as well.

thepodge
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    I have an older style Kona Merino jersey (Strada) that I wore three times and then just put away in the wardrobe. I don’t really get on with merino for cycle wear. Would suit a 38-40″ chest, with a relaxed fit. I’ll dig it out if you’re interested

Yes please

iainc

I used merino for a few years, but found it wet and cold on high exertion rides, much as said by a few others. I still love them around the house, watching the weans winter football games, walking etc, but for riding I reckon a Craft/Gore/Helly base and something like an Endura Xtract fitted jersey perfect this time of year. Broke the Windchill out last night for first time since March….

somafunk

I think it was myself that highlighted the Kona merino jersey in a psa many years ago, i wore mine for ages before finding the hidden zip pocket in the side.

I’m afraid i own 3 of them 😳

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Last year I searched for a few long sleeved ones, they are perfect this time of year and stick a helly hanson underneath when its colder. I also have one of the Kona ones and they are great but actually prefer sn ibis one I found online. The best I used to have was a Ritchey one but they are no longer made, mine eventually fell to pieces after a few years daily use. shame. last I looked there were a few around abroad but mega bucks.

EDIT: Campag used to do some nice ones

chakaping
    Free Member

We never did have that Star Trek cosplay meet-up in our Kona tops.

matt_outandabout

I have a Helly Hansen Warm (hybrid merino and man made) and for winter it is my favourite top by a long way – not stinky, warm when damp, dries well, fits well, deep zip.

svensvenson

Icebreaker. not cheap, but I have a few, you can wear them for several days (great for touring) and they last for years. Plus mud does wash off… I also wear their socks all year round, wouldn’t wear anything else now.

bonesetter
    Free Member

ti_pin_man – Member
    Last year I searched for a few long sleeved ones, they are perfect this time of year and stick a helly hanson underneath when its colder. I also have one of the Kona ones and they are great but actually prefer sn ibis one I found online. The best I used to have was a Ritchey one but they are no longer made, mine eventually fell to pieces after a few years daily use. shame. last I looked there were a few around abroad but mega bucks.

EDIT: Campag used to do some nice ones

Got a link for the Ibis one?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

made by these guys but I don’t think they make them anymore… mind looking at their current gallery I could quite fancy a few more of theirs. The ibis one is a great over shirt over a helly.
    Eath Wind Rider

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I used merino for a few years, but found it wet and cold on high exertion rides, much as said by a few others. I still love them around the house, watching the weans winter football games, walking etc, but for riding I reckon a Craft/Gore/Helly base and something like an Endura Xtract fitted jersey perfect this time of year. Broke the Windchill out last night for first time since March….

This.

I wear a Merino front / Coolmax back top a lot as it’s great, but it definitely heated up too much on some of the muggier days this ‘summer’. I’ve got a few merino LS tops which make great mid-layers over something synthetic, but I agree with most of the above – merino doesn’t work fast enough to make it an effective base layer for high exersion (sp?) activities, but is great on lower heart rate work.

Saying that, one of my favourite SS tops is a howies merino/poly mix with full zip – it’s quite warm so ideal for spring / autumn and layers well over a Castelli Coolmax t-bag vest and works nicely with arm warmers. It’s far too warm for mid-summer rides tho.

As mentioned above, merino socks are great too. Rather have warm but wet feet than try and keep the elements out (which is rarely totally successful unless in overshoes, and then there’s the condensation build-up inside).

scotroutes

podge – ygm

MussEd
    Free Member

This has just reminded me that I’ve somehow lost my Kona £15 bargain – loved that jersey and no idea where it’s gone!

thepodge
    Free Member

scotroutes I have replied

sputnik
    Free Member

I love merino but won’t recommend 100% wool for high intensity riding.
    Sportwool is the way to go,best of both worlds. I wear it all the time and can’t recommend it enough.
    I have built up a nice collection of Rapha tops over the years through sales and STW classifieds.
    If you don’t want to spend on Rapha then Torm looks very good value for a Sportwool jersey.
    http://www.torm.cc/products.html

bonesetter
    Free Member

The Torm ones look Ok, but I don’t like the cargo pockets at the rear

Have you compared the Torm ones to Rapha?

sputnik
    Free Member

A friend I cycle with owns a Torm jersey, he also has a Rapha jersey or two. He likes the Torm and wears it a lot, haven’t asked him how they compare but the amount of times he wears it says they compare well!

lunge

Try the Planet-X clubman jerseys, they’re not too tight, are fairly plain and have the required pockets. Cheap too.

edhornby

for this time of year I find that a merino LS baselayer and a summer SS jersey gives enough of everything; wool next to skin, layers, pockets that don’t sag because it’s not a loaded woolly jumper

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Merino Wool riding jerseys?’ is closed to new replies.