Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 167 total)
  • Men wearing flipflops … arrest them!
  • mogrim

Flip-flops are cack, fine if you’re just sitting there, useless if you want to walk. Sandals are the future.

Not with socks, though.

tang
    Free Member

i wear flip flops to waitrose often( indian ‘relaxos”), in fact i got chatting with zara phillips while wearing them. i can also be found in battered le chams and wax jacket on a work day. however flipflops and shorts, brown legs and pretty feet does get more female attention.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

It’s all about Birkies. (non beach)

Havanas / Cairiris for on the beach

kiwijohn

Gidday, I live in Australia & the general rule with thongs (flip flops/jandals where i come from) is:
    jeans
    shorts
    skirts
    dresses
    summer
    winter
    inbetween
    Nightclubs are the only place you’ll get knocked back.
    Personally I wear custom made Korkers sandals, good for a 40km ride on the SS

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hey Kiwi John, whereabouts in Oz are ya? (On a side note)

I’ll be flying out to Perth on the 20th July for a year. Yay!

kiwijohn

I’m in Hobart. Perth is as far away from anywhere as you can get. Good luck in the wild west.

nicko74

I wear flipflops around and about. Why? Because I’m lazy and they’re comfortable! Deal with it – I’ll admit that my furry white toes are quite scary sometimes, but the only way to solve that is to get them brown! 😉

Anna-B
    Free Member

Men + flip flops = sexy! Well maybe a bit more than that, but they’re a good place to start.
    Sandals, favoured by Rock Gods everywhere CG 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think annabananna has thoroughly refuted you CG :o)

Houns

I have a nice brown leather pair. I must admit i hate anyone who wears flip flops whom walks in such a way that they make the loud “flip flop” or “Slap slap” noise

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

annabananna – Member
    Men + flip flops = sexy! Well maybe a bit more than that, but they’re a good place to start.
    Sandals, favoured by Rock Gods everywhere CG

OK, so do I wear my Reefs or my Merrells next time in Waitrose in Salisbury, annabananna?

😉

BoardinBob

Wear my flip flops everywhere in summer.

White Etnies flip flops and a pair of combat shorts 8)

atlaz
    Free Member

Can’t say flipflops bother me but I’d go with the earlier poster who brought up crocs. Those should be punished by a bullet in the head and a shallow grave if the wearer is over, 13-14. You could JUST ABOUT get away with them as an adult if you’re on a rocky beach but for that I’d probably just hand out some sort of maiming rather than execution.

Oh and if you’re wearing crocs on the plane and then tell your neighbour in a loud voice how comfortable and convenient they are for air travel whilst the rancid odour is spreading around the aircraft, it’d be the old hung, drawn and quartered for you.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

(Laughs at the irony of STWers discussing ‘fashion’ and ‘style’… 😆 )

atlaz
    Free Member

RB – The amount of time (and money) spent on here colour coordinating bikes, kit and accessories is probably on a par with any fashionista. Might not be most people’s idea of style though.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Stupid footwear, inappropriate for loads of places, useful only at the beach or in really hot countries.

CountZero

Laffs at RudeBoy. Socks with sandals could, *just*, be acceptable if they’re tabi socks. But only in Japan.

redbikes
    Free Member

They are compulsory in NZ as it has a proper summer.
    Still wear them here in SW London as it is a habit of a lifetime.
    Part of the antipodean uniform.
    Not on bikes though, that is wrong.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Less appropriate than, say, wearing socks/trainers regardless of the weather Mr richpenny?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lets get this clear – flipflops are acceptable but they must be cheapo far eastern rubber ones. Birkenstocks or similar are never acceptable.

hora
    Free Member

Spinning fields this lunchtime- girls kicked off their shoes, waggling their toes. Not a prob? Northern girls tend to drink alot (water retention etc) thus there feet are slightly enlarged than normal petite. Generalisation? Maybe but Ive never seen a petit size 4/5 being waggled in Manchester before. If blokes did that with their slighly whitened-damp feet sans-socks you’d protest. So why do girls do this with their feet rubbed to ****/reddened and ugly?

We need a fatwah edict. Wimin should be covered from head to toe (especially toe) unless they are size <10 and tastey-looking.

😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

sun out flops and shorts, these are the rules till winter arrives.

No exceptions, especially in the sunny south

Apart from the ‘sunny south’ bit I’m right with you Lummox.
    From 1st May to end of September it’s shorts and sandals/Reefs day-in, day-out. Work from home and I’m the boss so it’s easy! 😀

RudeBoy
    Free Member

We need a fatwah edict.

Well, Hora, if we were to apply your rules to men also, you’d have to be encased in 3 metre thick concrete, and buried deep underground in a disused coal mine or something….

retro83
    Free Member

flip flops on anybody else is disgusting. The thrrrrp-thrrrrp-thrrrrp noise they make as the wearers sweaty dab peels away from the sole on every step makes me want to vomit.

I do of course wear them myself though (Havaianas from Brazil best flip-flops evar) 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I can just about accept men wearing flip flops in hot countries but as CG says in waitrose, UK when it’s 12 degrees! idiots!
    I also agree Crocs, Ugg boots vile!! Visible bra straps now that REALLY bugs me! As do fatties in crop tops … man I could go on!

hora
    Free Member

Well, Hora, if we were to apply your rules to men also, you’d have to be encased in 3 metre thick concrete, and buried deep underground in a disused coal mine or something….

No Thatcha’ set them free…

stcolin
    Free Member

Unless you’re Ghandi, flip flops are a no go on the street.

However, I do like a nice pair of womens kebabs.

hora
    Free Member

Binners looks like a white Ghandi, albeit a well fed version 😆 🙄

mt
    Free Member

A solid pair handmade Church’s are fit for any occasion and any company. If there well polished you know that you are dealing with a chap who respects himself and others (even if the are from the flipflop wearing lower orders).

r6ymy
    Free Member

CG – agree that flip flops are for the beach only, but don’t agree with with the men bit, it should be a universal ban. I can’t stand the lazy shuffle that most people do in them, and on the tube yesterday I saw several ladies with open shoes whose cloven hooves should have been thoroughly covered up.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

A solid pair handmade Church’s are fit for any occasion and any company. If there well polished you know that you are dealing with a chap who respects himself and others (even if the are from the flipflop wearing lower orders).

LOL! More like, some sad deluded ponce who thinks that wearing a pair of shoes will somehow elevate them above the common herd…

Whilst we’re on the subject of ‘fashion acceptable in STW’; I just popped to the local market, wearing a singlet, jogging pants and sandals. What think the STW Moral Minority, of my crimes? 😀

mt
    Free Member

Rudeboy As my mother would say you look common, though I suspect not as you wore a “singlet”. Common people wear vests.

fuzzyjimble
    Free Member

flips flops are the lightest footwear to carry when commuting, ergo I live in mine from march til september.
    My commute is a 60 mile round trip. and besides that weak attempt at arguing, I like ’em and yah boo sucks to anyone else…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

LOL! More like, some sad deluded ponce who thinks that wearing a pair of shoes will somehow elevate them above the common herd…

Not at all. Someone once told me, and it has stayed with me, “Spend good money on your boots or your bed. If you’re not in one, you’re in the other”.

Cheap shoes are a false economy, good shoes are a delight.

Lummox

I have to say as well the ‘ninja’ (socks and sandals) look was well received inbetween matches in my old sport of paintball. I guess it’s whatever the fashionatas decree is acceptable, and paintball was generally led by 18yr old punk kids. But then so was wearing your trousers backwards, sweatbands etc etc, it was fun times!

Al

mt
    Free Member

Captain Flash Those are the words of a wise man.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I dont care what anyone thinks of what I wear, I wear what I think looks good and feels nice – sod the lot of you if you dont like it. That said, I cant stand flipflops (on me) but if the person next to me had them on I wouldn’t even notice, and if I did notice I’d not care. I just dont understand people who put so much thought into what other people do – d’ya not have enough going on in your life?! Big fat girl walking down the road rippling? Makes no odds to me, I wont even notice her unless she slaps me in the face with a roll.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i was impressed the other day to find that while wearing flipflops i was still able to do decent bunnyhops while riding my flat-pedalled mtb. i suppose if you’ve got the skills, you’ve got the skills. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So how about my summer apparel of either colonial shorts with turnups, or pleat front trousers with turnups (always black) worn with a (brightly coloured )t shirt and black rubber flip flops?

Note the shorts and trousers have knife edge creases in them

coffeeking
    Free Member

Funny that TJ, thats exactly how I’d imagined you 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Men wearing flipflops … arrest them!’ is closed to new replies.