Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Mcdonalds breakfasts for pre riding………..
  • hora
    Free Member

No your right, I'm just a mountainbike groupie 😯

Its the nerds in oversized shorts, geeky glasses and pasty thin-arms that does it for me 😈

allyharp

I'm pretty sure if you look on the back of the trayliners it says the veggie deli sandwich isn't suitable for vegetarians!

Can't seem to find a list of veggie products online though.

juan
    Free Member

it's even worse to see them in france or spain or italy, countries where there is a richer culture of cuisine.

You can remove france from the list as the country has gone the same route that britain (ffs you even found some starbuk and subway) no one eat sandwiches from bakers any more (mind you that ain't cheap). Nice food cost you an arm. Less and less people bother to cook. Funny thing being, more and more money is invested in kitchens.

Agree about the cultural content. It's not much the junk food the problem, it's the fact that it's unified junk food. I'd much rather get food poisoning from and fried haggis than from a McDo.

hora
    Free Member

Thats another thing. WHY does ones finger ALWAYS go through the paper with trail poos?

Del

ffs hora why am i unsurprised you can't even organise yourself enough so you don't have to take a 5hite when you're riding a bike?
    you are aware that other people read this stuff aren't you?

hora
    Free Member

ffs hora why am i unsurprised you can't even organise yourself enough so you don't have to take a 5hite when you're riding a bike?
    you are aware that other people read this stuff aren't you?

Eh?

juan
    Free Member

Eh?

Don't worry you need a brain to understand that. And we all know that is something you don't have.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hora here is what Juan said in English for you

Don't worry you need a brain to understand that. And we all know that is something you don't have.

and back on topic

They used to do a veggie burger but its not on the site anymore. I guess its because veggies are too self important to visit McDonalds and buy one.

It is a temple to all things meat (which is fine as diet is your choice)and you are surprised that veggies don’t eat there.
    The burger was veggie but little else was including the chips which have beef added.

I dont know whether it is good trail food but I would be certain that no athlete has it for breakfast on race day ….or do they?

bruk

Chicken nuggets make you run very fast though!

Kramer
    Free Member

I may be wrong on this, but I seem to remember a sprinter (Usain Bolt perhaps) admitted to eating McDonalds in an interview.

stumpy01

Yeah – Usain Bolt ate Chicken Nuggets before his races at the World Champs in Berlin, I think.

I don't get all the venom aimed at McDonalds.
    From what I understand, there are worse paid jobs that working in a McD's and they seem to have training schemes in place for their employees.
    They are pretty clear about what there food contains, compared to any other 'manufactured food' like most of the stuff people buy.

A McD's once in a while won't do you any harm and you can't be a Double Sausage & Egg Mc Muffin meal once in a while. MMmmmm. I'm loving it!!

As for their coffee – now I'm not a coffee afficionado unlike some of the Gaggia experts on here, but their stuff is perfectly drinkable & good value. Plus they do a loyalty thing so you get a free one for every 6 you buy.

With regard to comments about nutrition, I find it far worse that places like Tesco get away with selling salads that have almost 50% of your recommended daily intake of fat. People who don't read the labels think they are being healthy, when they aren't.

At least you know what you are getting with a McD's.

hora
    Free Member

Err. When I see small children in McDonalds I automatically think the parents have failed their children. I dont mind if that insults anyone. For my sins I briefly worked in a McDonalds as a student. I still shudder thinking about the place, its slick marketing aimed at new users etc.

I might have it once a month (less frequent) but I always feel dirty afterwards.

Wendys is probably AS evil in the grandscheme of things but I'd happily take any children there, have a Wendy's microchip fitted and sign over their names for life in exchange for a Wendys burger…. 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

Usain Bolt ate Chicken Nuggets before his races at the World Champs in Berlin, I think

He put his success down to these but I assumed they were Jamican ones rather than bought from Mc D's but await clarification form someone who cares enough to Google it

there are worse paid jobs that working in a McD's

[

They pay the minimum wage how can you get worse paid?- though mangers are well paid no one else really is.

hora
    Free Member

It wasnt the wage. It was everything else.

stumpy01

junkyard – how about restaurants where you are paid less than the minimum wage, but your salary is made up to the minimum wage by the tips you receive?

Anyway – minimum wage at the moment equates to about £12k/annum for a 40hr week.
    I was looking a while ago at getting a job in sales just to see what was out there & I fancied a change. Basically without experience you'd have to go in at the bottom doing telesales & I seem to remember some of them were offering £11k basic with OTE of £15k. My brother is a salesman & advised that realistically I could expect to get 50% of OTE, so that equates to £13k/annum and he reckoned that would be even if I put in stupid hours calling people all hours god sends.

uplink
    Free Member

junkyard – how about restaurants where you are paid less than the minimum wage, but your salary is made up to the minimum wage by the tips you receive?

That's all changed now

stumpy01

uplink – supposedly, but from what was being said in the news it will still happen – just unoffically.

Junkyard – some "Usain eats McD's shocker" articles:

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/athletics/165650-record-breaker-usain-bolt-redefines-athletics-and-transcends-his-sport#

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2009/08/18/how-low-can-he-go-115875-21604660/#

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/23/olympics2008.olympicsathletics

So, even Usain Bolt is Lovin' It!!

So far I have eaten McD's in England, France, Germany, America, Egypt and Australia. Mmmm, finger lickin' good……..! Or is that the wrong catchphrase?!

whytetrash

Bit of perspective…worked in one for three years thru uni so got an idea of what I am talking about!

Pro's of a McJob…money was ok, big organisation so secure, very flexible on shifts (worked loads of nights so riding time was ok) and they actually offer people prepared to graft the opportunity to get promoted…irrespective of academic qualifications if you have the right attitude you can achieve something! where other companies recruited graduates for management training Macs promoted from within. Food freshly prepared is pretty tasty too, and there were no issues with hygiene either

Cons.. uniform was gash…but then I worked in Halfords in school so am used to grey jumpsuits! sanctimonious veggie students, and lack of variety of burgers (early nineties)

I take my kids in now and again, and am not frightened to eat it…everything in moderation and all that!..

re chips with beef added…never saw that on a label!…long time ago I think the fat they cooked them in contained some beef fat maybe….but pretty sure it's all veg based oils now.

I_Ache
    Free Member

When Usain Bolt was on Top Gear he said ALL he ate was Chicken Nuggets when he was in China because he was scared of the other food.

Oh and Hora this is the first time I have said this you can really be a cock at times.

When I see small children in McDonalds I automatically think the parents have failed their children.

Sometimes just sometimes you really have no other choice other than to pull over and have a Maccies. When you have small children screaming in the car because they are hungry what would you do? There is very little choice when you are on a road trip to go on holiday or whatever I would love it if there were Tim Hortons over here to stop at and eat. Its not even as if its feasible to take a picknick with you because of the British weather and the total lack of picknick areas in this country. I would like to see you convince a 3 year old that its a good idea to stay sitting in a car seat for 4 hours and then try to convince them to eat anything without it ending up down your neck.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I agree with whytetrash (although not the best username for advocating maccies).

RE the beef in chips thing. What a load of bollox where did you get that from?

takisawa2

My kids have been twice. Eldest is nearly 4.
    They weren't that keen on it TBH.
    Thankfully they prefer peppers, cucumber, fruit & veg. Little buggers wont eat salad though!!!

I'll eat there but have to agree the food is total crap.
    I'd never see McDonalds as a pre-ride feast.
    That little place on the road a few miles before Nant-y-Arian, now that does a nice bacon sarnie.

Problem is, alterntaive Cafe's where I live are so bloody crap.
    Its either £3 a cup coffee at Costa or some bloody OAP's crypt where you risk tripping over the tartan trollies.

Junkyard
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/1348296.stm – yes such nonesense they admiitted to it 🙄

When you have small children screaming in the car because they are hungry what would you do?

Yes starvation is the only other option . Erm bring food with you? Feed them before you leave? Buy food from somewhere else as other food options are available iirc.

Anyway eat where you want your money, body and choice.

metalheart
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    MetalHeart – are you sure your username shouldn't be 'TinFoilHatHead'? I'd love to see your sources for those fairly wild claims – and have them linked to McDonald's UK.

Please show me something to prove you are not just spouting the usual left of arc reactionary rubbish.

My comments are 'culled' from a book (The end of overeating) by David A Kessler who is a former commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration. He has citations for his assertions but as I don't have the book in front of me I cant give you the specific references.

I don't think my claims are especially wild, after all its not called junk food for nothing. And my comments were generic and not just specific to McDonalds.

However if you want to dismiss them as rubbish then no skin off my nose.

PS tried your suggested login but it appears you are wrong, thanks for helping though.

Yrs MH.

mogrim

When I see small children in McDonalds I automatically think the parents have failed their children.

Unless you're actively stalking McDs (which I suppose is possible) how can you possibly tell if it's a one-off visit or something more frequent? Do you really believe that a one-off visit is "failing" the children? Harming them?

uplink
    Free Member

I'm partial to the occasional egg thing from them – Not had one for months though, maybe tomorrow 🙂

Bit of a generalisation but ..

I use to meet up with a bunch of guys who worked for me in a McD carpark [M8 Jcn 24, if you're interested] every Friday.
    I was shocked to see long queues of cars with mums & kids in them @ 8am – now I've no idea what they ordered but it certainly surprised me to see so many of them every week.

allyharp

The Usain Bolt thing shows the reason for the success of McDonalds. Familiarity.

122 countries in the world where you can walk in and get the exact same food. Variety is good, and I definitely wouldn't want to live in a world where everything is the same, but sometimes a bit of familiarity can be a good thing.

RE: The Beef in the fries. Until the 80s they used Beef tallow (whatever that is) in the fat they were fried to give some flavouring. For non-veggies it's a non-issue, it probably was (and still is) commonplace.

I had a look at the reasons for the veggie deli sandwich not being veggie-friendly. Apparently it's just because there's a chance of mixing the oil with the chicken vats when it gets filtered. Which is correct.
    The same goes for apple pies and Filet o'Fish – I wonder if all the Asians who buy those would be turned away if they knew that?

hora
    Free Member

Oh and Hora this is the first time I have said this you can really be a cock at times.

So why do you go on ringing your hands like a bitch trying to justify yourself then?

You set off on a 4hr 'roadtrip' without any sort of planning? Its ok fella, you dont have to try and explain yourself to me, you've answered the question that I was thinking.

Oh and try to use google. Im sure school teaches your children not to use the word cock or 'bollox' and question without a search or thinking first sweetie 🙂 :
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/1348296.stm

TooTall
    Free Member

Junkyard

A 2001 article about the American McDonald's isn't exactly compelling evidence for 2009 McDonald's UK now is it? Or did you not expect someone to actually read that link?

"Many years ago, in the 1970s, when McDonald’s first started in the UK they did use oil that contained beef tallow but this is no longer the case. Rest assured that McDonald’s UK does not use lard to cook any of its food. McDonald's French Fries are made from 100% potato, and are cooked in a non-hydrogenated blend of rapeseed and sunflower oil. This has been carefully developed to ensure it does not raise saturated fat content. This GM-free cooking oil also reduces the levels of Trans Fatty Acids (TFAs) to their lowest possible levels, without a change to the taste. "

I prefer to work in the 'now' rather than the 'waaaaaaayy back when' 😕

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I don't think the meat stuff is great exercise fuel, but the egg stuff is OK in my book. Need salt too. And always liked the starch-shakes and I bet they are loaded with energy.

whytetrash

Fries were always made by Macaines for them as I remember, not sure if they got any grief about frying them in beef fat too

Kramer
    Free Member

Tootall, there was a huge scandal in India a couple of years ago when it emerged that although McDonalds no longer cooked their chips in dripping, they still used beef extract in the flavouring, despite claiming that they were ok for Hindus to eat. It turned out that they were doing this all over the world. Not joining the MacDonald's bashers (I love 'em), but just putting it in context.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i am sorry tootall

Yes I posted a link that I did not expect anyone to read …why else would I post a link …for information …God no not me it was for it NOT to be read what shame it failed … I am also writing this becasue I dont expect it to be read either …dont let me down ❗

They have a history of being less than honest about their ingredients being suitable for Vegetarians which puts veggies off eating there.

They have a veggie sandwich which cant be eaten by veggies either apparently.

ton

just to let anyone that is interested know…………i was powered by 2 mcdonalds breakfasts yesterday on the ogden ride……. 8)

allyharp

They have a veggie sandwich which cant be eaten by veggies either apparently

Yup, mentioned above. But it depends how strictly veggie they are. I have a friend who's happy to eat food that's been in contact with meat as long as she isn't eating any meat herself.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have 2 points to make:

1 – Hora is a legend.

2 – Thomas Friedman's 1996 theory that 2 countries each with a McDonalds would not go to war, held good until the 2008 conflict between Russia and Georgia over south Ossetia. Both Russia and Georgia have McDonalds outlets. More here…

8)

miketually
    Free Member

When inter-railing as a student, I had McDonalds in Athens, Florence, Rome, Nice, Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam.

That's not relevant to anything, but I'm quite proud of that fact.

Gary_C

Can't get McDonald's in the Lake District. Or Burger King. Or Pizza Express. Or KFC

Err,there's a McDonalds & a KFC in Kendal,which is in the Lake District btw.

miketually
    Free Member

Err,there's a McDonalds & a KFC in Kendal,which is in the Lake District btw.

It's not in the National Park though, is it?

TooTall
    Free Member

So – you make a statement, then back it up with something they USED to do then stand by it?

I'll whisper the next bit:

They used to trade slaves in Bristol – don't go there – ever. Evil people.

Same 'logic' there fella. 🙄

hora
    Free Member

They used to trade slaves in Bristol – don't go there – ever. Evil people.

Sort of true……some evil feckers due reside in Bristol. Steal a bike? Lose your nuts. BANG goes your future multiple child benefit claims etc…. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Mcdonalds breakfasts for pre riding………..’ is closed to new replies.